What have we done?

Old Oct 15th 2008, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Bishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant future
Default Re: What have we done?

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Hi Corinne

Thanks for your reply, its a few weeks since I posted on here and now feel much more positive!
We still have our ups and downs, missing out on the improved exchange rate has knocked us for six, financially and emotionally but we are looking ahead to the future, not constantly thinking of when we can return to the UK.
We have been away for a few days, are going to Sydney next week and have booked a summer holiday (all coming out of our house savings, but hey!)

Whether we will stay here forever is another thing but we have got over our first major wobbly, we're still standing and count our blessings for having had the chance to try out a new life, rather than just talking about it, as we had done for years!

Hope that your pregnancy is going well (and fast!) and that you are enjoying yourselves back in the UK. Let's hope we get to meet up next year

Sam
Hi Sam, glad you are now more positive, with hindsight I wish that we had stuck it out and worked through, it is so hard, not all experience the "feelings" of the homesickness so bad, my cousin has lived in Perth for about 7 years and only misses the UK a little, my mate however, has lived in NZ for about 10 years and has to come home every 3 years for a trip to curb his homesickness!!! Your hols sound great, Aus is a big place and has so much to see. We were lucky with the exchange rate as had left our money in the UK so transfered some last week and got a wicked rate!! he he. Still need to make loads back though. Baby doing well, its another boy!!! only 10.5 weeks to go and I'm counting!! had enough already!!!! Shame I didnt realise I was pregnant before leaving Oz as our Tassie bump will have had duel nationality!!! never mind. Glad all ok now. Speak soon. Love C x
Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:26 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Hello Happy christmas to you, how you doing now
Old Dec 30th 2008, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe we are thinking like this but after less than 3 months in Oz, we are talking about returning to the UK.

We spent so long and so much money on getting here I feel pathetic and a complete failure that we are now considering returning.

The kids appear to have settled well here (aged 10 and 12) and really don't like the idea of going back, we have no house to go back to and I'm not sure we would even return to the same area so would have to start up somewhere new again, probably nearer family though.

If we go back and spend even more money on the process and lose out again on the exchange rate as it has now improved in the Oz direction, we will have a smaller house and a bigger mortgage than we had originally, what if we still don't like it?

I don't really know what I want, other than a magic wand to turn back the clock. My OH went to work crying this morning because he is so miserable (and he's not one for showing his emotions much), he says he has felt like this for weeks and its just getting worse.

What a mess, we are young (ish), in good health, have 2 lovely children but beacuse we were greedy and thought we could have a better life, we are now desperately unhappy.
I know exactly how you feel.Go home.Check out the amount of people on this forum who have been here years and never settled.You're young and healthy-think about that.You also had the courage to give it a go

Good luck
Old Dec 30th 2008, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandergirl
With all due respect Oliveoil OP lives in Aus - you do not.

The first year is tough but many people never love it, and most people would fall between the two extremes of loving and hating it.

People get stuck here due to family obligations, financial pressures or whatever and regret not going when they had the chance.

Sam try and see as much of it as you can, get out and about on the weekends and if you still feel unhappy in the New Year then don't feel bad about going home.
A large bunnahabhain for you

Slainte
Old Dec 30th 2008, 6:44 pm
JRB
Forum Regular

JRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to behold

I hope things work out for you wherever you may be - the UK or Australia. Many years ago I used to be a psychiatric nurse and I remember learning about the bereavement process - denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance. I think sometimes people experience some of these stages when they emmigrate. After all you are leaving everything you have known behind including loved ones and all of your previous security. Sometimes people work through these feelings and accept Australia as their new home and sometimes people never settle. For me I did it all backwards, I loved Australia at first and didn't really experience homesickness. It was after a few years when we had children and it began to feel like we would be there forever that I knew I didn't want to stay. I think initially it was almost like a big holiday! So after 5 years we came back! It was a really hard decision for us and the longer you are there the harder it gets to leave as life has been established by then e.g. jobs, house, friends etc. Also by then spouses or children may want to stay and you may want to go so it can get really tricky. So maybe the best option may be to agree a timeframe with your family and have an agreement of how long to give it before deciding if to go back. Lots of people stay just to get citizenship and then go. Whatever you decide I hope it works out. Personally I'll always have a soft spot and be interested in Perth but at this point in my life with small children I am glad to be back in the UK.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Baby75
Hello Happy christmas to you, how you doing now
Hiya

A belated happy Christmas and New Year to you, how are you doing, are you still planning to return or have you started to settle?

We have just bought a house and moved in before Xmas so I guess we're here for the time being We do feel more relaxed now, I'm still not convinced that this will be a lifetime move but as long as we are all reasonably happy and healthy then right now that matters. We are making the best of this opportunity, and have enjoyed lots of new things over the holiday period, the highlight being a seafood platter and picnic on a beautiful small beach on Christmas Day with a glass of bubbly - all seemed well with my world at that moment and I'm trying to keep it that way

I do hope things have improved for you as I know you were having a tough time a few months ago

Sam
Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:52 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Hello Great to hear your having a good time, things are a lot better for us now and we are having a better time, just need a job for my DH they seem to be few and far between. we decided to go home I am happy with that we will be here nearly a year when we do so not to bad going. congrats on buying house and I really hope it works out for you.

Hiya

A belated happy Christmas and New Year to you, how are you doing, are you still planning to return or have you started to settle?

We have just bought a house and moved in before Xmas so I guess we're here for the time being We do feel more relaxed now, I'm still not convinced that this will be a lifetime move but as long as we are all reasonably happy and healthy then right now that matters. We are making the best of this opportunity, and have enjoyed lots of new things over the holiday period, the highlight being a seafood platter and picnic on a beautiful small beach on Christmas Day with a glass of bubbly - all seemed well with my world at that moment and I'm trying to keep it that way

I do hope things have improved for you as I know you were having a tough time a few months ago

Sam