Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

To go back for an almost free holiday or not

To go back for an almost free holiday or not

Old Dec 29th 2008, 6:37 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default To go back for an almost free holiday or not

This might sound incredibly daft but I've been offered my airfare to go back to the UK for 2 weeks, to do a couple of days business and the rest of the time I can do as I wish. Problem is I don't have to go back for the business.
I hate it here in Australia with a passion and have now been in this lifeless prison for 4 years. I can't move back for family reasons so am stuck here in Oz.

My dilema and I've only a few days left to decide is do I go for a couple of weeks or not? I've almost come to accept my life here and am a bit worried that going back will just make me more miserable when I return here. What would you do?
Old Dec 29th 2008, 8:20 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: To go back for an almost free holiday or not

Originally Posted by arkon
This might sound incredibly daft but I've been offered my airfare to go back to the UK for 2 weeks, to do a couple of days business and the rest of the time I can do as I wish. Problem is I don't have to go back for the business.
I hate it here in Australia with a passion and have now been in this lifeless prison for 4 years. I can't move back for family reasons so am stuck here in Oz.

My dilema and I've only a few days left to decide is do I go for a couple of weeks or not? I've almost come to accept my life here and am a bit worried that going back will just make me more miserable when I return here. What would you do?
difficult one mate. my feeling is that if you are miserable here, going home for a spell will only make it worse unless a permanent return is imminent.
however if you do go back, can you bring me some proper dairy milk?
Old Dec 29th 2008, 8:57 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
difficult one mate. my feeling is that if you are miserable here, going home for a spell will only make it worse unless a permanent return is imminent.
however if you do go back, can you bring me some proper dairy milk?
Buggered if I know what to do for the best. If I do the only justification I can think up is some new M&S trousers, shirts, underware. Toffee crisps, Malteasers, Dime Bars and Golden Grahams.

If I go back I know I won't want to come back here and as that's not an option so I've no idea what to do for the best.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

I felt the same as you(we are in uae,not oz),going home was the best thing i did ....it made me realise what a great quality of family life ,etc we had here ...compared to what we'd have in uk .....at the moment...GOOD LUCK with what ever u decide xxx
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

To me it's a no brainer, I would not hesitate to take the offer.

What have you got to loose?

It's your decision though. Don't suppose you could say yes and then give me the free airfare ticket so I can go instead?
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:38 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I would go. Get it out of your system. But that would be my choice, only you can decide.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:12 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Sugar-lou

...If I were you, I would go. Have a look, see how it really feels. You are a bright and reasonable bloke, you will see the reality of it and get your thoughts together after that.

For what it is worth, I do feel the same trepidation about going home for a month in April, now that I have made peace with being here.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Buggered if I know what to do for the best. If I do the only justification I can think up is some new M&S trousers, shirts, underware. Toffee crisps, Malteasers, Dime Bars and Golden Grahams.

If I go back I know I won't want to come back here and as that's not an option so I've no idea what to do for the best.
Go!!!!!
And then when you get back set a date to go again. Works for me - its like a beacon in the darkness, 39 days to go..........
Old Dec 29th 2008, 4:06 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go too. if you don't you'll be kicking yourself for not taking the opportunity especially for free.
Go shopping, have a bt of fun. It makes living where you don't want to be a bit more bearable.
Then you can plan the next trip in the future get a big red marker pen and cross off the days till you go again.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Polly - go and then work on setting a date for your next time. 86 days for me!!!!!!!!!!!! (Only 9 months since the last trip)

Sure you will feel like cr*p when you have to leave but while you are there you will feel whole and find yourself walking around smiling at nothing in particular.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 8:24 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

GO!!
You don't know what opportunitites the visit will open up and bring to you. You gotta do it Arkon.
No-one is ever 100% trapped - there's ALWAYS a way out - you just gotta find it.
ANYHOO - at this time of year - you might go back and loathe it! ;o)

I firmly believe opportunities are brought to us for specific reasons - it's up to us to take them or ignore them. Wonder why this has REALLY been brought to you!! Grab it with both hands mate and just go with it all.

Enjoy it for what it is first and foremost - a free trip.

DO ITTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 30th 2008, 12:19 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
GO!!
You don't know what opportunitites the visit will open up and bring to you. You gotta do it Arkon.
No-one is ever 100% trapped - there's ALWAYS a way out - you just gotta find it.
ANYHOO - at this time of year - you might go back and loathe it! ;o)

I firmly believe opportunities are brought to us for specific reasons - it's up to us to take them or ignore them. Wonder why this has REALLY been brought to you!! Grab it with both hands mate and just go with it all.

Enjoy it for what it is first and foremost - a free trip.

DO ITTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks all, a couple of days ago I was dead set on not going and now I'm swinging back towards it. I don't really like the idea of 2 weeks away from my boy, it will be the longest by far that I wont see him. Longest so far is 2 days, since birth!

If I thought I didn't have to come back here then it would be a no brainer, I'd go.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 12:26 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all, a couple of days ago I was dead set on not going and now I'm swinging back towards it. I don't really like the idea of 2 weeks away from my boy, it will be the longest by far that I wont see him. Longest so far is 2 days, since birth!

If I thought I didn't have to come back here then it would be a no brainer, I'd go.

You can still talk to your son every night if you like!
Someone on another thread recently said quite rightly "you can't live your life for your kids, soon they will have choices to make and they'll be making them".
Go over there and enjoy this chance Arkon. 2 weeks is nothing in the grand scheme of life. You could even go over and suss things out for you as well as your son should another opportunity come about!

Just do it. When will the next opportunity like this come along......
Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

In this day and age of technology you can be in touch with minimal effort you know - a webcam on your laptop and he will be able to see daddy every day! He'll be fine, you'll be fine and you can pick up some great prezzies for him while you are visiting!
Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I think you would truly regret not using the opportunity of someone else paying for the flight. How often does that happen? Go - do your business stuff, stock up on M&S and Maltesers - and just take as much or as little from the trip as you can. This might be the kick-off point you need to focus on a change in direction in your life. Enjoy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.