West Yorkshire?

Old Sep 3rd 2007, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

johull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to all
Default Re: West Yorkshire?

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
Been looking around this area, did all the google search etc, just wondered if anyone on here got personal experience of the area, especially Hebden Bridge? Dont want to be right in Bradford as I hear that areas not too good but need to be at least only hour from work (possible job offer)...

Pref nice school for little ones and easy access to shops and motorway ...

Thanks

Kath
Hi Kath and Graham

How are things going. I work in Bradford and its awful!!!! Do not - under any circumstances - move to Bradford!!!!!

We live in Oakworth - in a small village about a mile or so from the centre of oakworth and its lovely - our house is coming on the market in the next few weeks if your interested PM me - its a beautiful cottage - 3 double beds, ensuite dressroom, and we have a croft opposite with apples trees in - very pretty.

Hope you are ok and looking forward to returning to UK - we are doing the opposite and going back to OZ!!!!
Old Sep 4th 2007, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

Why Bradford?.....The other side is nicer....Huddersfield.....were they filmed where the heart is.......I live in Dewsbury....well on the outskirts and it is beautiful here the schools are some of the best
Old Sep 4th 2007, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the information will ahve a look at the properties.

Just needed to be near Bradford as job offer there.

Kath
Old Sep 4th 2007, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Kath
So West Malling's out of the picture now then? Sorry, I haven't been keeping up! Good luck with the job and the move!
Old Sep 4th 2007, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Not all signed and sealed yet, just keeping options open
Old Sep 4th 2007, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

AnnaB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gettingthere
I live near Wetherby and do not know Hebden Bridge especially well but it would be worth you checking the OFSTED website for schools info as they vary so much in that area.

Hi there

This is great advice, please take a look at the Ofsted reports and then decide where you want your child to go and then where you can live within reasonable distance of school and also work. One of the reasons we moved. a couple of years ago.

We live in Northowram, Halifax which is a lovely village, before moving here we lived in Queensbury, 3 miles from Bradford, it was OK but the senior school is appalling Northowram is probably only about 4 miles from Bradford.

Please PM me and I can give you more info if you need it

Anna
Old Sep 4th 2007, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Hamsterhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

This may sound weird, but a lot of parents are choosing a good secondary school before kids start primary, then moving into the catchment area of one of the better feeder primary schools to guarantee place at the secondary (if indeed feeders are high up the admission criteria).
Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

AnnaB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hamsterhouse
This may sound weird, but a lot of parents are choosing a good secondary school before kids start primary, then moving into the catchment area of one of the better feeder primary schools to guarantee place at the secondary (if indeed feeders are high up the admission criteria).
Exactly what we did, we choose the senior school, then looked at feeder schools, then moved into the catchment for that feeder school.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

Hamsterhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AnnaB
Exactly what we did, we choose the senior school, then looked at feeder schools, then moved into the catchment for that feeder school.
I think you are very wise to do this. It has certainly been a bit of a bun-fight for school places this year in our area. Several friends having to go private and put cost on the mortgage as they couldn't get into a good school and were offered schools on special measures.

Planning ahead is definitely the key to getting into a good school.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johull

How are things going. I work in Bradford and its awful!!!! Do not - under any circumstances - move to Bradford!!!!!

We live in Oakworth - in a small village about a mile or so from the centre of oakworth and its lovely - our house is coming on the market in the next few weeks if your interested PM me - its a beautiful cottage - 3 double beds, ensuite dressroom, and we have a croft opposite with apples trees in - very pretty.

Hope you are ok and looking forward to returning to UK - we are doing the opposite and going back to OZ!!!!

Bradford's not changed then in the year I've been in Aus It's dire isn't it!

Oakworth is lovely, you are very lucky living there.

Kath
Listen to johull - Bradford it probably the worst place in the UK. Go there and you'll be straight back
Old Sep 5th 2007, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

johull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wendy
Bradford's not changed then in the year I've been in Aus It's dire isn't it!

Oakworth is lovely, you are very lucky living there.

Listen to johull - Bradford it probably the worst place in the UK. Go there and you'll be straight back
Hi Wendy

Bradford just seems to get worse if anything!!

I ventured up to Morrisons to get some fresh soup for my lunch and was stopped and asked for money about 4 times by new arrivals - place is full of crackheads stggering about. It is even worse now there is no smoking in the pubs cos all the dead heads are now stood outside smoking and drinking away their dole and drug dealing money!!!!!!!!!

Are you staying in Oz or are you also thinking of coming back?
Old Sep 5th 2007, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Wendy

Bradford just seems to get worse if anything!!

I ventured up to Morrisons to get some fresh soup for my lunch and was stopped and asked for money about 4 times by new arrivals - place is full of crackheads stggering about. It is even worse now there is no smoking in the pubs cos all the dead heads are now stood outside smoking and drinking away their dole and drug dealing money!!!!!!!!!

Are you staying in Oz or are you also thinking of coming back?

Come back to that No way

I just hope and pray my eldest lad gets out of there when he's finished Uni. I don't care where, so long as it's out of Bradford - the place is a joke

I loved growing up there, and wouldn't swap it for anything but it's so so so crap (is the only word I can get away with on here!) now, that I wouldn't want my kids growing up there.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wendy
Come back to that No way

I just hope and pray my eldest lad gets out of there when he's finished Uni. I don't care where, so long as it's out of Bradford - the place is a joke

I loved growing up there, and wouldn't swap it for anything but it's so so so crap (is the only word I can get away with on here!) now, that I wouldn't want my kids growing up there.
Is your eldest still here - how are you finding it? My oldest doesnt want to come back. He wants to stay here. That is my only fear - how I will cope with missing him.

Where in Bradford did you live?
Old Sep 5th 2007, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Is your eldest still here - how are you finding it? My oldest doesnt want to come back. He wants to stay here. That is my only fear - how I will cope with missing him.

Where in Bradford did you live?

He's studying at Hull Uni, but in the holidays is staying with my MIL in Thorton. She'll be retiring in two years and is moving to Turkey or Greece.

His plans at the minute are to move to Japan to see what he can do with his career (he wants to be in the Games industry) and maybe come to Australia for a year. Then he will decide what he wants to do.

I miss him like mad, but he'll be 20 soon and I have to let him go. Don't you hate it when they grow up and get plans of their own.

I have lived in a few places in Bradford. I lived in Buttershaw when I was growing up, moved to Allerton when I was 20, then on to Thornton Village and then back to Allerton.

Funny but I preferred Allerton to Thornton, at least the people there weren't false what you saw was what you got. I can't begin to imagine being there now.

We did try to move down to Cornwall at one time, but the jobs were paying the same as Bradford which meant we couldn't affor to live there. So it was stay where we were or move here.

There are loads of nice places in the UK - Bradford isn't one of them for sure! I'm quite content where I am just now, but if I did move on then I want to go to Greece. I just love it there
Old Sep 5th 2007, 8:04 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Hebden bridge is a lovely place (a bit close to lancs for my liking though) but it's quite a trex into bradford if thats where your gonna be working, halifax area can be a nightmare in rush hour.
I live in Morley only about 20 min drive from bradford with plenty of buses that go there for when you don't want to drive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.