We are back in the uk

Old Oct 24th 2004, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future
Default Re: We are back in the uk

Originally Posted by nicholls clan
Is there any one else who was like me desperate to get back to the uk but after a while wanted to go again.
I emigrated to Oz, stayed 4 years, came back for 10 during which time have had 2 kids of 5 and 8 and, hey ho, we are very close to going back. I've booked the flights but recently had a big attack of cold feet. It's the lack of IT jobs in Oz (Adelaide) compared to here that really makes me wonder if I'm doing the right thing. I've been offered a decent job here but turned it down a month ago. Now I'm having second thoughts and think the job may still be available.

I need to decide by tomorrow. The indecision is making my wife and I feel ill.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
I emigrated to Oz, stayed 4 years, came back for 10 during which time have had 2 kids of 5 and 8 and, hey ho, we are very close to going back. I've booked the flights but recently had a big attack of cold feet. It's the lack of IT jobs in Oz (Adelaide) compared to here that really makes me wonder if I'm doing the right thing. I've been offered a decent job here but turned it down a month ago. Now I'm having second thoughts and think the job may still be available.

Well the flights are booked so I guess you are almost packed to go. I'd say give it a go now you're that close. Whatever you decide, good luck.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by sackofspuds

I suppose by now you've made your decision...?!
Why did you decide to leave Oz and go back, and what has made you decide to give it another try????
Good luck with whatever decision you came to. ....it's a tough one isn't it..?!
Old Oct 26th 2004, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kath n kim
I suppose by now you've made your decision...?!
Why did you decide to leave Oz and go back, and what has made you decide to give it another try????
Good luck with whatever decision you came to. ....it's a tough one isn't it..?!
yes, keep us updated Spuds.
How about you K&K? You seem to be riding the 'new life' rollercoaster at the mo? Are you feeling more settled? (I have been reading your posts in the Oz forum). We have been back 10 months or so now. I love the UK but I do miss Australia.
HP
Old Oct 27th 2004, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
yes, keep us updated Spuds.
How about you K&K? You seem to be riding the 'new life' rollercoaster at the mo? Are you feeling more settled? (I have been reading your posts in the Oz forum). We have been back 10 months or so now. I love the UK but I do miss Australia.
HP
Hi HiddenPaw, how right you are, and what a rollercoaster it is!!!
Re: feeling more settled.....?
I suppose I'm as settled as I'll ever be over here! Some days are great, and I love it ... others lousy and I hate it.
I have a few issues over here that will never be resolved.. (well, I don't suppose they will in my lifetime anyway..!!!) The widespread use of pesticides is one of them, (I wrote a post about it a while ago...) and there are a few others, but I won't go on about them as I know they're not everyones views!
What made you go back........and what do you miss about Australia.......will you be coming back..???
kath n kim
Old Nov 1st 2004, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kath n kim
I have a few issues over here that will never be resolved.. (well, I don't suppose they will in my lifetime anyway..!!!) The widespread use of pesticides is one of them, (I wrote a post about it a while ago...) and there are a few others, but I won't go on about them as I know they're not everyones views!
What made you go back........and what do you miss about Australia.......will you be coming back..???
kath n kim
Hi, you know this sounds so familiar - I love Australia but there are issues. Before we left Australia, they seemed big issues. Now they seem less important - I'm not sure whether that is because they are in the past now, or because having just started a family, my whole perspective on life has changed - suddenly there are more important things to worry about (but saying that, there would probably be a whole load of different issues too - LOL). We came back really for the family support....first baby for us, first grandchild in the family. It is important for us that the baby can know her grandparents while they are all still alive. It would be hard to go back now because of the grandparents, but if I strongly felt it was the right thing to do for bub, I would go. At the mo, we are undecided about what we want for our long-term future.

Probably the thing I miss most is my sister, and spending time at her place (she lives 500km inland). I don't care much for the city - altho it is an amazing place - big issue for me was pollution and dirty air. I felt trapped in the city - like I couldn't just go for a long walk in the country without driving somewhere first. But that's a location issue, not a whole country! Hoons - don't miss them - they drove me positively crazy - waking us up at all hours; longer working hours - certainly don't miss them. I'm not working now but husband has far more leisure time and holidays than either of us had in Oz; cafe culture - miss that, miss my Sunday morning breakfast on Brunswick St, miss cycling along Beach Rd and round Albert Park. Heck, I even miss the old green and yellow trams!

Re the pesticides, my Aussie brother in law is a fruit grower in northern Vic - he said to me years ago that if you saw the s**t that they sprayed on their produce, you wouldn't eat it (well I don't cos I only buy organic!!). But seriously, we do seem to live in a chemical world....
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Hi, you know this sounds so familiar - I love Australia but there are issues. Before we left Australia, they seemed big issues. Now they seem less important - I'm not sure whether that is because they are in the past now, or because having just started a family, my whole perspective on life has changed - suddenly there are more important things to worry about (but saying that, there would probably be a whole load of different issues too - LOL). We came back really for the family support....first baby for us, first grandchild in the family. It is important for us that the baby can know her grandparents while they are all still alive. It would be hard to go back now because of the grandparents, but if I strongly felt it was the right thing to do for bub, I would go. At the mo, we are undecided about what we want for our long-term future.

Probably the thing I miss most is my sister, and spending time at her place (she lives 500km inland). I don't care much for the city - altho it is an amazing place - big issue for me was pollution and dirty air. I felt trapped in the city - like I couldn't just go for a long walk in the country without driving somewhere first. But that's a location issue, not a whole country! Hoons - don't miss them - they drove me positively crazy - waking us up at all hours; longer working hours - certainly don't miss them. I'm not working now but husband has far more leisure time and holidays than either of us had in Oz; cafe culture - miss that, miss my Sunday morning breakfast on Brunswick St, miss cycling along Beach Rd and round Albert Park. Heck, I even miss the old green and yellow trams!

Re the pesticides, my Aussie brother in law is a fruit grower in northern Vic - he said to me years ago that if you saw the s**t that they sprayed on their produce, you wouldn't eat it (well I don't cos I only buy organic!!). But seriously, we do seem to live in a chemical world....
Congrats, on the baby (although probably walking by now..... sorry it's probably a bit belated!) It's amazing how something so tiny can change your whole perspective and priorities on life, isn't it?! Yes, I can totally agree with you on going back home for baby/Grandparents. I have found this one of the most difficult things about being over here with young children, feeling they are both missing out on important relationships and experiences together, also it can be quite difficult not having any family support or backup. I think this will play a major role in our decision to eventually stay or go back....
One of the reasons we came over here, was so that we could maybe afford to live on one wage, and I could stay home with the children while they are young (I was working full-time in the U.K) Which I have been able to do, so I can't complain about that anyway!
Does your sister live in Australia then?
RE: City living, pollution, dirty air.....No, I don't think "city life" is for me either! (Maybe I should try another location in OZ...?)
Hoons, have to agree and also add to that..neighbours dogs barking, birds at 5.00am, bats (and other wildlife..) all through the night, all seem to wake us up at all hours!!! (we are now looking into having "noise reducing glass, fitted in our windows, not sure whether it will help or not, as houses here don't seem to be built to keep out noise, draughts, ants, spiders etc.... )
And yes, the widespread use of pesticides here is a BIG issue for me. I am also finding it quite difficult to find good organic foods here, and when I do, they are usually over priced and not great quality (Definately better value and better selection in the U.K.) I have started to try and grow my own fruit and veggies in our rather small back garden.......something I wouldn't have dreamed of attempting in U.K, so maybe I'll learn something new here....
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 6:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

K&K, have you been down to Tassie? I remember when I first visited Oz, and that was where I went - finding that fruit and veg had TASTE and were really good quality! Even the cheese and the milk tasted brilliant - not that watery rubbish most people up here prefer. (my opinon, don't attak me anyone!) And the air was clean Can't waitfor a trip there to get some cleanliness in my body again!!

Unfortunately on ariving in Qld I discovered that Tassie is Tassie and Qld is at the other end of the scale - for example,tomatoes in Tas are medium sized, juicy and tasty; up here they are the size of apples, either green or overripe, and just don't taste of anything.
Mushrooms make me laugh - I have got The Bloke into eating them - he never did before. So we get them from Coles, and he slices them and puts them straight on the plate ....he can't see that they should be peeled cos of all the muck sprayed on them, he says they are clean and natural......and he's lived here all hes life
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
K&K, have you been down to Tassie? I remember when I first visited Oz, and that was where I went - finding that fruit and veg had TASTE and were really good quality! Even the cheese and the milk tasted brilliant - not that watery rubbish most people up here prefer. (my opinon, don't attak me anyone!) And the air was clean Can't waitfor a trip there to get some cleanliness in my body again!!

Unfortunately on ariving in Qld I discovered that Tassie is Tassie and Qld is at the other end of the scale - for example,tomatoes in Tas are medium sized, juicy and tasty; up here they are the size of apples, either green or overripe, and just don't taste of anything.
Mushrooms make me laugh - I have got The Bloke into eating them - he never did before. So we get them from Coles, and he slices them and puts them straight on the plate ....he can't see that they should be peeled cos of all the muck sprayed on them, he says they are clean and natural......and he's lived here all hes life
Hi Pollyanna,
No, we haven't been to Tassie yet, although I must admit I did wonder whether we should have.......
We settled in Queensland mainly for work reasons and climate,(thinking that better climate = healthier lifestyle, not realising that along with better climate also comes other, not so healthy things....too numerous to mention!!!!! )
I think Australia has a lot more to offer than we have found yet...(I'm hoping so anyway! ) So I think we may have to do a bit more travelling, before we eventually find the Utopia that we are looking for, maybe Tassie is IT!!!! Thanks Pollyanna!
KnK