Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Wanting to move back to the UK at 18

Wanting to move back to the UK at 18

Old Apr 11th 2018, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Warwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to move back to the UK at 18

Originally Posted by Louise Hedley
OK - a totally understand.
Good Luck to you too.

Louise
Thank you Louise! Good luck to you in your endavours too!
Old Apr 11th 2018, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

Warwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
It seems like you have plenty of time to plan. So it probably makes sense to write to your relatives in UK and explain your hopes and ask whether they could offer any advice or other input that might be useful. As well as trying to discover more distant relatives that your parents might have "forgotten" to mention to you. Try hard not to sound needy in your letters :-)

As to University, a big advantage of Open University for people living in Britain is that it is entirely possible to work full time and do OU at the same time. Thus paying your own way. Certainly doing OU is a very different university experience from that of most young people, but paying as you go has the big advantage of not building up debt.

Don't set yourself up for failure though, the longer you have been out of studying the more important it is not to take on too heavy a workload the first year, instead start gradually.
Distance Learning Courses and Adult Education - The Open University
A couple of points about OU that might not be obvious -
1. The OU academic year is the calendar year (Jan to Dec) unlike other univs.
2. Financial assistances (eg loans) are not available until after three years of UK residence. OU is same as conventional univs in that respect.
Thank you for the reply and advice! I do know of the open university and I'm taking one of their free courses. I should look at doing a degree with them too!
Old Apr 11th 2018, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Warwickshireboy
That's definitely a good point. There's so many variables it's hard to know what will be best. I'm really glad your life has improved and you've learned to love Canada though! Good luck with your future travels too! Thank you for your reply.
Cheers
Old Apr 11th 2018, 10:39 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Warwickshireboy
Thank you for your reply! You're definitely right about the autism and social difficulties. I am trying to improve my social skills. I am in touch with my relatives and I've been talking to some of them. I don't think I'm going to just get on a flight and go without a plan, because that definitely doesn't seem practical.
You sound very sensible and focused as well as smart, so I think you'll well whatever you decide. Best of luck