Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Wanting to move back to the UK at 18

Wanting to move back to the UK at 18

Old Mar 30th 2018, 3:07 am
Just Joined

Warwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond repute
Question Wanting to move back to the UK at 18

Hello, nice to meet you all. I am new to this forum, please excuse me if I say anything wrong.

As you can probably tell from my username, I was born in Warwickshire. My family moved to Vancouver Canada in 2006. I am seventeen years old. Having moved here before I was even six years old, I appreciate that I seem a bit stupid. Please understand I am not saying Canada is a bad country. It is a good country, and perhaps it’s even better than the UK in many ways.

However, I personally have never felt at home here. The main thing has been a feeling of isolation. My parents are solitary people and never got involved with any communities. The main loss for me has been not having extended family. My main experiences of belonging have been visiting my family back in the UK. I realise this sounds very arrogant as I am seventeen and don’t know how the world works, but I don’t personally feel moving was worth it. We went from upper middle class in the UK to lower middle class here in Canada. I know that I can’t know what it had been like if we would have stayed, but think it may have been better based on the economic advantage and family we had in the UK. Obviously me moving back now won’t undo anything that’s happened, but I just thought I’d add a bit of background.

I am due to graduate from high school in the June of 2019, and afterwards I am hoping to move back to the UK. Ideally I would like to go to Scotland, especially Glasgow. I visited in the summer, and really liked it. However, I'm not really in a position to be too picky. My only qualification will be my high school diploma. I also have a bit of work experience and volunteering. I do have citizenship in Canada, the UK and the Republic of Ireland. I am wondering if anyone has any advice on how to go about moving back?

This is the process I've gone through so far:

My first thought was to go to university in the UK. My grades are decent, and it seemed the logical next step. However, I found out I would have to pay international fees, and that's definitely not affordable for me, even with loans. I did consider going to university in Canada and then leaving afterwards. However, I would need a loan to go to university here too. I don't like the idea of being tied down to debt in Canada. Additionally, the degree I wanted, while interesting to me, have little practical application or employment prospects. So going to university right after high school doesn't seem to be the best option for me, given my priorities are moving back to the UK and achieving financial independence from my parents as soon as possible.

I am now thinking of learning a trade. Ideally I would like to study in the UK, but I realise I might have to complete a qualification in Canada. I've been looking at Apprenticeships.Scot and it seems like I may be eligible to apply there from their FAQ section. I'm now trying to figure out if I would be able to support myself with the money from a modern apprenticeship if I were to get one.

I apologise for my ignorance and realise this post is a bit broad, but I would be happy to answer any questions and appreciate any advice. Specifically, do you think I should stay in Canada and get myself qualified? Am I being ridiculous wanting to move back for admittedly emotional and personal rather than objective and logical reasons?

Thank you for reading.
Old Mar 30th 2018, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to move back to the UK at 18

Hi.

Moving to another country, even if it is where you are originally from is a hard thing to do. Also very expensive.

I think the idea of getting a trade is a good idea. Trades are becoming much more demanded now while many university graduates, even with very vocational degrees, find they struggle to get work that is reasonably paid.

However, I think doing in on your own in the UK would be very tough. Not impossible, but very tough. I left home at a very young age and remember how hard it was. You would need to do the maths. How much would you earn? Then you would need to look at what it would cost to live. Rent, bills, food, transport. I think when you look at this, you will see it is possible, but very tight and wouldn't leave a lot of spare cash for anything else.

So, ideally, I would recommend you get your trade in Canada and then make the move.

Glasgow is an excellent choice. I am English and moved to Australia then returned to the UK and moved to near Glasgow and we love it. It is a great city with a huge amount to offer.
Old Mar 30th 2018, 12:45 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that I don't think you mention, do you have family, grandparents, aunt or uncle for instance, who you could stay with when you first arrive in the UK? That way you could get on your feet without having to spend all your savings from day one.

Another thought is residential work that provides accommodation. An example is youth hostels - look at the Youth Hostels Association and the Scottish YHA. I think both have websites for prospective employees, seasonal and permanent.

Good luck!
Old Mar 30th 2018, 4:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

@Warwickshireboy

Different set of circumstances but there's a poster called Gozit, mainly but not exclusively on the Canada forum, and I think you both have a fair bit in common - similar age (he was still in school when first posting), never really felt at home in Canada despite spending most of life here, preferred his visits back to real home etc.

You might get some moral support from him. He's a good lad.
Old Mar 30th 2018, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Louise Hedley is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there

I don't think you are being crazy at wanting to move back. You have to do what your gut is telling you to do in life and it seems as though you have a good head on your shoulders and have thought this through quite a bit.

I understand the difficulty in affording international fees in the UK as that is what my daughter wanted to do after we moved here when she was 14 but just too expensive. However, have you thought of joining the military in the UK??? My son first joined the Royal Navy for 2 years and then he transferred to the Royal Marines to become a Commando. He did another 5 years but then decided to leave but because of his time in the military he was able to get three years of University fees 9,000 pounds a year as he had been resident in UK 3 years, all paid for!!!
I just thought this might be a good idea for you, as you could learn a trade that would be useful when you come out and/or go to Uni in the UK.

What do you think - does it appeal??

Good Luck Warwickshire Boy. We are heading back to the UK later this summer after nearly 17 years!!

Cheerio for now

Louise
Old Mar 30th 2018, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Warwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Hi.

Moving to another country, even if it is where you are originally from is a hard thing to do. Also very expensive.

I think the idea of getting a trade is a good idea. Trades are becoming much more demanded now while many university graduates, even with very vocational degrees, find they struggle to get work that is reasonably paid.

However, I think doing in on your own in the UK would be very tough. Not impossible, but very tough. I left home at a very young age and remember how hard it was. You would need to do the maths. How much would you earn? Then you would need to look at what it would cost to live. Rent, bills, food, transport. I think when you look at this, you will see it is possible, but very tight and wouldn't leave a lot of spare cash for anything else.

So, ideally, I would recommend you get your trade in Canada and then make the move.

Glasgow is an excellent choice. I am English and moved to Australia then returned to the UK and moved to near Glasgow and we love it. It is a great city with a huge amount to offer.
Hi verystormy,
Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it!
Yes I watched a documentary called "Generation Jobless" on the CBC and saw that was the case, in Canada at least. Did you personally find leaving home so young worth it? Sorry if that is a personal question, of course you do not have to answer. I am glad to hear it is possible at least. That certainly does seem the more practical option. My only reservation is it would take quite a few years to get my trade. I am glad you like Glasgow! I visited this summer and really enjoyed it.
Old Mar 30th 2018, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by robin1234
One thing that I don't think you mention, do you have family, grandparents, aunt or uncle for instance, who you could stay with when you first arrive in the UK? That way you could get on your feet without having to spend all your savings from day one.

Another thought is residential work that provides accommodation. An example is youth hostels - look at the Youth Hostels Association and the Scottish YHA. I think both have websites for prospective employees, seasonal and permanent.

Good luck!
I have lots of family in the UK! I haven't thought to ask them if I could stay with them though. My parents are very against me moving back, and they said the family will not help me, so I'm trying for a plan that isn't reliant on family support. Thank you very much for the information on the youth hostels! That's very helpful!
Old Mar 30th 2018, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Louise Hedley
Hello there

I don't think you are being crazy at wanting to move back. You have to do what your gut is telling you to do in life and it seems as though you have a good head on your shoulders and have thought this through quite a bit.

I understand the difficulty in affording international fees in the UK as that is what my daughter wanted to do after we moved here when she was 14 but just too expensive. However, have you thought of joining the military in the UK??? My son first joined the Royal Navy for 2 years and then he transferred to the Royal Marines to become a Commando. He did another 5 years but then decided to leave but because of his time in the military he was able to get three years of University fees 9,000 pounds a year as he had been resident in UK 3 years, all paid for!!!
I just thought this might be a good idea for you, as you could learn a trade that would be useful when you come out and/or go to Uni in the UK.

What do you think - does it appeal??

Good Luck Warwickshire Boy. We are heading back to the UK later this summer after nearly 17 years!!

Cheerio for now

Louise
Hi Louise,
Thank you for your reply! That's not something I considered, but it does sound like a good idea in many ways. However, I'm not physically fit at all. I am also quite anti violence and wear a white poppy, so I have my doubts if I could fit into the military. I actually joined the cadets in Canada when I was younger, and only lasted a month. Similarly, my dad is Irish and I think he would disown me if I joined the British army. Once I wore a hoodie with a union jack on it and he said I wasn't his child anymore, haha. Nevertheless I will still check it out, and really appreciate the suggestion! Good luck with your move back I hope it goes well!

Last edited by Warwickshireboy; Mar 30th 2018 at 5:40 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2018, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Warwickshireboy
I have lots of family in the UK! I haven't thought to ask them if I could stay with them though. My parents are very against me moving back, and they said the family will not help me, so I'm trying for a plan that isn't reliant on family support. Thank you very much for the information on the youth hostels! That's very helpful!
If you won't have family/friends to live with when you first arrive, then you must have sufficient money to support yourself for the first few months until you start earning - otherwise you are going to find yourself on the streets.

Personally I would build up my working experience and resources in Canada and then look again at moving to the UK.
Old Mar 30th 2018, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BristolUK
@Warwickshireboy

Different set of circumstances but there's a poster called Gozit, mainly but not exclusively on the Canada forum, and I think you both have a fair bit in common - similar age (he was still in school when first posting), never really felt at home in Canada despite spending most of life here, preferred his visits back to real home etc.

You might get some moral support from him. He's a good lad.
Thank you very much BritsolUK! I will contact him!
Old Mar 30th 2018, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

You can do a UK degree via distance learning (while in the UK or anywhere) with the University of London International Programmes. The colleges that make up the University of London each take responsibility for different degree areas. The price is pretty reasonable I think. You can work at the same time.

Last edited by Snowy560; Mar 30th 2018 at 9:49 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2018, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Snowy560
You can do a UK degree via distance learning (while in the UK or anywhere) with the University of London International Programmes. The colleges that make up the University of London each take responsibility for different degree areas. The price is pretty reasonable I think. You can work at the same time.
Thank you I'll check it out! That's very helpful.
Old Mar 31st 2018, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Warwickshireboy
Hi verystormy,
Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it!
Yes I watched a documentary called "Generation Jobless" on the CBC and saw that was the case, in Canada at least. Did you personally find leaving home so young worth it? Sorry if that is a personal question, of course you do not have to answer. I am glad to hear it is possible at least. That certainly does seem the more practical option. My only reservation is it would take quite a few years to get my trade. I am glad you like Glasgow! I visited this summer and really enjoyed it.
I don't know if I found leaving home young worth it. I didn't have a lot of choice and was two years younger than you. I know I found it hard.

Yes, getting a trade will take some time, but so would study. In fact both take about the same length of time. Though the difference is that in a trade you are earning while learning. It would certainly be hard and expensive to move to the UK and study now as unless you have three years of residency in the UK you would be treated as an international student, which would mean you would not get any government funding and potentially pay a lot for study.

At the same time, you can, if you want go to university at any point in your life. I went for the first time in my twenties and then again in my thirties. Or you can study part time either at a regular university or by distance learning such as The Open University.
Old Mar 31st 2018, 7:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by verystormy
I don't know if I found leaving home young worth it. I didn't have a lot of choice and was two years younger than you. I know I found it hard.

Yes, getting a trade will take some time, but so would study. In fact both take about the same length of time. Though the difference is that in a trade you are earning while learning. It would certainly be hard and expensive to move to the UK and study now as unless you have three years of residency in the UK you would be treated as an international student, which would mean you would not get any government funding and potentially pay a lot for study.

At the same time, you can, if you want go to university at any point in your life. I went for the first time in my twenties and then again in my thirties. Or you can study part time either at a regular university or by distance learning such as The Open University.
I'm sorry you had to move out so young, that does sound very hard. Yes you're right about the university funding. I was thinking more perhaps going and just trying to work minimum wage jobs, but that doesn't seem like a very good idea. I'll get going on figuring out which trade to pursue after spring break I think. Thanks again for your reply and advice.
Old Mar 31st 2018, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute

Warwickshireboy - in your initial post you say “I appreciate that I seem a bit stupid.” On the contrary you seem very wise for someone your age. You have expressed your desires eloquently and responded very nicely to the subsequent posts. I wish you all the best for the future. Good luck in the pursuit of your dreams!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.