Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Wanting to move back to the UK at 18

Wanting to move back to the UK at 18

Old Mar 31st 2018, 9:53 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to move back to the UK at 18

Originally Posted by Warwickshireboy
Hello, nice to meet you all. I am new to this forum, please excuse me if I say anything wrong.

As you can probably tell from my username, I was born in Warwickshire. My family moved to Vancouver Canada in 2006. I am seventeen years old. Having moved here before I was even six years old, I appreciate that I seem a bit stupid. Please understand I am not saying Canada is a bad country. It is a good country, and perhaps it’s even better than the UK in many ways.

However, I personally have never felt at home here. The main thing has been a feeling of isolation. My parents are solitary people and never got involved with any communities. The main loss for me has been not having extended family. My main experiences of belonging have been visiting my family back in the UK. I realise this sounds very arrogant as I am seventeen and don’t know how the world works, but I don’t personally feel moving was worth it. We went from upper middle class in the UK to lower middle class here in Canada. I know that I can’t know what it had been like if we would have stayed, but think it may have been better based on the economic advantage and family we had in the UK. Obviously me moving back now won’t undo anything that’s happened, but I just thought I’d add a bit of background.

I am due to graduate from high school in the June of 2019, and afterwards I am hoping to move back to the UK. Ideally I would like to go to Scotland, especially Glasgow. I visited in the summer, and really liked it. However, I'm not really in a position to be too picky. My only qualification will be my high school diploma. I also have a bit of work experience and volunteering. I do have citizenship in Canada, the UK and the Republic of Ireland. I am wondering if anyone has any advice on how to go about moving back?

This is the process I've gone through so far:

My first thought was to go to university in the UK. My grades are decent, and it seemed the logical next step. However, I found out I would have to pay international fees, and that's definitely not affordable for me, even with loans. I did consider going to university in Canada and then leaving afterwards. However, I would need a loan to go to university here too. I don't like the idea of being tied down to debt in Canada. Additionally, the degree I wanted, while interesting to me, have little practical application or employment prospects. So going to university right after high school doesn't seem to be the best option for me, given my priorities are moving back to the UK and achieving financial independence from my parents as soon as possible.

I am now thinking of learning a trade. Ideally I would like to study in the UK, but I realise I might have to complete a qualification in Canada. I've been looking at Apprenticeships.Scot and it seems like I may be eligible to apply there from their FAQ section. I'm now trying to figure out if I would be able to support myself with the money from a modern apprenticeship if I were to get one.

I apologise for my ignorance and realise this post is a bit broad, but I would be happy to answer any questions and appreciate any advice. Specifically, do you think I should stay in Canada and get myself qualified? Am I being ridiculous wanting to move back for admittedly emotional and personal rather than objective and logical reasons?

Thank you for reading.
There is nothing at all wrong with emotional and personal reasons. I am trying to move back to the UK after many years in the US for a set of just such reasons. My son is about your age and will be going to uni there in September after growing up here. He too wants to live there. I left home young and did uni in my twenties. It can be done.

If you learn a trade in Canada, make sure the credentials are recognized in the UK so you don't end up have to repeat stuff there anyway. Also, check this listing of apprenticeships. I don't know what your interests are but these require no more than A levels and you might be able to find out how they rate Canadian school-leaving qualifications. The pay for some of them is quite decent.

https://www.indeed.co.uk/m/jobs?q=Apprenticeships

Good luck to you.
Old Apr 1st 2018, 4:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I agree mostly with what everyone else has said. It can be done, it is not an impossible task.

However, what I found out is you need to ask what you are lacking in Canada - is it friends/social circle? Do you not like school? Are there other family issues/tensions besides the issue of you moving back to UK? (I know that is a personal question - you don't have to answer if you aren't comfortable)

When I joined this forum I was in that boat. I had little social circle, I hated school and I just wanted out. Come senior year of high school and 1st year of college and I've come to discover life in Canada ain't half bad. I developed a few close friendships that I cherish dearly and I enjoyed my last year of HS as I got to take more of what I wanted and I made the decision to go to college instead of uni which was a massive weight off my shoulders. Now i'm in my 1st year of college doing what I want to do and it's great.

That's not to say I don't want to move abroad and try life somewhere else - i'm just waiting for the right opportunity. For me, that opportunity was not to jump at age 18 and start over in a new country, much less a small island country with a weak economy compared to Canada (i'm not British, i'm Maltese/Canadian.)

You might have better luck in the UK then I would have had in Malta. If you really want it, give it a go. My recommendation would be to go to school for something you can transfer to the UK/Europe. I am going to school for IT (because its my passion and I love it) and those skills can transfer anywhere. Live a couple more years with the support umbrella of your parents, maybe see if you can do an international co-op in the UK (those are very common.) - I myself am seeing if I can do this in Malta or elsewhere.

Happy to help/chat

Cheers
Old Apr 1st 2018, 9:06 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I have lots of family in the UK! I haven't thought to ask them if I could stay with them though. My parents are very against me moving back, and they said the family will not help me, so I'm trying for a plan that isn't reliant on family support. Thank you very much for the information on the youth hostels! That's very helpful!
Hi. You've been given some great advice and suggestions already, so I'm just going to add a couple of thoughts.

After reading some of your other posts on the Canada forum, I'm worried that you may find yourself feeling isolated and alone in the UK, at least initially. You've identified your difficulties with autism and mixing socially with others, these difficulties may be exacerbated if you're trying to find work and accommodation in a totally unfamiliar environment with no support and without a good amount of funds as a cushion. This may not be the case, you might take to the new experiences like the proverbial duck to water, but I do think it's something that you need to factor into your plans.

I'm sorry that your parents aren't more supportive. I'm not sure why they'd say that your UK family won't help you - it could just be their way of trying to discourage you from the move. Do you keep in regular touch with your UK relatives? If not, now might be the time to begin to make those closer connections. You may find that one/some of them would be far more helpful than your parents suggest.

This help doesn't necessarily have to be an offer of accommodation, although that would be nice! But they could also offer you advice on the employment situation in their area, services that may be able to assist you, living costs such as rentals etc. Above all, moving to an area where you had family that would invite you around for a meal or a chat would go a very long way to helping you to settle and not feel so alone.
Old Apr 2nd 2018, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Get a trade in Canada maybe from BCIT in Burnaby, in electrical, plumbing, HVAC, etc. see what they have THEN go back to the UK. Otherwise you will be stuck in a low paid miserable job not able to do anything you want, not able to afford travel, or to go out etc.
At least where you are now you can live at home as it will cosy less.
Old Apr 2nd 2018, 1:28 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit

When I joined this forum I was in that boat. I had little social circle, I hated school and I just wanted out.

Old Apr 3rd 2018, 5:38 am
Just Joined

Scot_74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, nice to meet you all. I am new to this forum, please excuse me if I say anything wrong.

As you can probably tell from my username, I was born in Warwickshire. My family moved to Vancouver Canada in 2006. I am seventeen years old. Having moved here before I was even six years old, I appreciate that I seem a bit stupid. Please understand I am not saying Canada is a bad country. It is a good country, and perhaps it’s even better than the UK in many ways.

However, I personally have never felt at home here. The main thing has been a feeling of isolation. My parents are solitary people and never got involved with any communities. The main loss for me has been not having extended family. My main experiences of belonging have been visiting my family back in the UK. I realise this sounds very arrogant as I am seventeen and don’t know how the world works, but I don’t personally feel moving was worth it. We went from upper middle class in the UK to lower middle class here in Canada. I know that I can’t know what it had been like if we would have stayed, but think it may have been better based on the economic advantage and family we had in the UK. Obviously me moving back now won’t undo anything that’s happened, but I just thought I’d add a bit of background.

I am due to graduate from high school in the June of 2019, and afterwards I am hoping to move back to the UK. Ideally I would like to go to Scotland, especially Glasgow. I visited in the summer, and really liked it. However, I'm not really in a position to be too picky. My only qualification will be my high school diploma. I also have a bit of work experience and volunteering. I do have citizenship in Canada, the UK and the Republic of Ireland. I am wondering if anyone has any advice on how to go about moving back?

This is the process I've gone through so far:

My first thought was to go to university in the UK. My grades are decent, and it seemed the logical next step. However, I found out I would have to pay international fees, and that's definitely not affordable for me, even with loans. I did consider going to university in Canada and then leaving afterwards. However, I would need a loan to go to university here too. I don't like the idea of being tied down to debt in Canada. Additionally, the degree I wanted, while interesting to me, have little practical application or employment prospects. So going to university right after high school doesn't seem to be the best option for me, given my priorities are moving back to the UK and achieving financial independence from my parents as soon as possible.

I am now thinking of learning a trade. Ideally I would like to study in the UK, but I realise I might have to complete a qualification in Canada. I've been looking at Apprenticeships.Scot and it seems like I may be eligible to apply there from their FAQ section. I'm now trying to figure out if I would be able to support myself with the money from a modern apprenticeship if I were to get one.

I apologise for my ignorance and realise this post is a bit broad, but I would be happy to answer any questions and appreciate any advice. Specifically, do you think I should stay in Canada and get myself qualified? Am I being ridiculous wanting to move back for admittedly emotional and personal rather than objective and logical reasons?

Thank you for reading.
I get you 100%

I have felt the exact same way you are feeling my entire life in Australia. I arrived here when I was 14. This year I will be 44. Go with your gut and don't waste 30 odd years wishing for it like I have done.
i am in the process of now doing it. But I have three children to take with me.

Build the life you want to live
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Louise Hedley is an unknown quantity at this point

OK - a totally understand.
Good Luck to you too.

Louise
Old Apr 5th 2018, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

I have lots of family in the UK! I haven't thought to ask them if I could stay with them though. My parents are very against me moving back, and they said the family will not help me, so I'm trying for a plan that isn't reliant on family support. Thank you very much for the information on the youth hostels! That's very helpful!
It seems like you have plenty of time to plan. So it probably makes sense to write to your relatives in UK and explain your hopes and ask whether they could offer any advice or other input that might be useful. As well as trying to discover more distant relatives that your parents might have "forgotten" to mention to you. Try hard not to sound needy in your letters :-)

As to University, a big advantage of Open University for people living in Britain is that it is entirely possible to work full time and do OU at the same time. Thus paying your own way. Certainly doing OU is a very different university experience from that of most young people, but paying as you go has the big advantage of not building up debt.

Don't set yourself up for failure though, the longer you have been out of studying the more important it is not to take on too heavy a workload the first year, instead start gradually.
Distance Learning Courses and Adult Education - The Open University
A couple of points about OU that might not be obvious -
1. The OU academic year is the calendar year (Jan to Dec) unlike other univs.
2. Financial assistances (eg loans) are not available until after three years of UK residence. OU is same as conventional univs in that respect.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

Warwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caroline in Arizona
Warwickshireboy - in your initial post you say “I appreciate that I seem a bit stupid.” On the contrary you seem very wise for someone your age. You have expressed your desires eloquently and responded very nicely to the subsequent posts. I wish you all the best for the future. Good luck in the pursuit of your dreams!
Ah thank you, that's very nice of you to say. Good luck to you in whatever you're pursuing!
Old Apr 11th 2018, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

Warwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
There is nothing at all wrong with emotional and personal reasons. I am trying to move back to the UK after many years in the US for a set of just such reasons. My son is about your age and will be going to uni there in September after growing up here. He too wants to live there. I left home young and did uni in my twenties. It can be done.

If you learn a trade in Canada, make sure the credentials are recognized in the UK so you don't end up have to repeat stuff there anyway. Also, check this listing of apprenticeships. I don't know what your interests are but these require no more than A levels and you might be able to find out how they rate Canadian school-leaving qualifications. The pay for some of them is quite decent.

https://www.indeed.co.uk/m/jobs?q=Apprenticeships

Good luck to you.
Thank you very much! I appreciate the support and link, I'll look at it now. Good luck to you and your son!
Old Apr 11th 2018, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gozit
I agree mostly with what everyone else has said. It can be done, it is not an impossible task.

However, what I found out is you need to ask what you are lacking in Canada - is it friends/social circle? Do you not like school? Are there other family issues/tensions besides the issue of you moving back to UK? (I know that is a personal question - you don't have to answer if you aren't comfortable)

When I joined this forum I was in that boat. I had little social circle, I hated school and I just wanted out. Come senior year of high school and 1st year of college and I've come to discover life in Canada ain't half bad. I developed a few close friendships that I cherish dearly and I enjoyed my last year of HS as I got to take more of what I wanted and I made the decision to go to college instead of uni which was a massive weight off my shoulders. Now i'm in my 1st year of college doing what I want to do and it's great.

That's not to say I don't want to move abroad and try life somewhere else - i'm just waiting for the right opportunity. For me, that opportunity was not to jump at age 18 and start over in a new country, much less a small island country with a weak economy compared to Canada (i'm not British, i'm Maltese/Canadian.)

You might have better luck in the UK then I would have had in Malta. If you really want it, give it a go. My recommendation would be to go to school for something you can transfer to the UK/Europe. I am going to school for IT (because its my passion and I love it) and those skills can transfer anywhere. Live a couple more years with the support umbrella of your parents, maybe see if you can do an international co-op in the UK (those are very common.) - I myself am seeing if I can do this in Malta or elsewhere.

Happy to help/chat

Cheers
That's definitely a good point. There's so many variables it's hard to know what will be best. I'm really glad your life has improved and you've learned to love Canada though! Good luck with your future travels too! Thank you for your reply.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hi. You've been given some great advice and suggestions already, so I'm just going to add a couple of thoughts.

After reading some of your other posts on the Canada forum, I'm worried that you may find yourself feeling isolated and alone in the UK, at least initially. You've identified your difficulties with autism and mixing socially with others, these difficulties may be exacerbated if you're trying to find work and accommodation in a totally unfamiliar environment with no support and without a good amount of funds as a cushion. This may not be the case, you might take to the new experiences like the proverbial duck to water, but I do think it's something that you need to factor into your plans.

I'm sorry that your parents aren't more supportive. I'm not sure why they'd say that your UK family won't help you - it could just be their way of trying to discourage you from the move. Do you keep in regular touch with your UK relatives? If not, now might be the time to begin to make those closer connections. You may find that one/some of them would be far more helpful than your parents suggest.

This help doesn't necessarily have to be an offer of accommodation, although that would be nice! But they could also offer you advice on the employment situation in their area, services that may be able to assist you, living costs such as rentals etc. Above all, moving to an area where you had family that would invite you around for a meal or a chat would go a very long way to helping you to settle and not feel so alone.
Thank you for your reply! You're definitely right about the autism and social difficulties. I am trying to improve my social skills. I am in touch with my relatives and I've been talking to some of them. I don't think I'm going to just get on a flight and go without a plan, because that definitely doesn't seem practical.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Benson55
Get a trade in Canada maybe from BCIT in Burnaby, in electrical, plumbing, HVAC, etc. see what they have THEN go back to the UK. Otherwise you will be stuck in a low paid miserable job not able to do anything you want, not able to afford travel, or to go out etc.
At least where you are now you can live at home as it will cosy less.
Thank you for the reply! That definitely is a good plan.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Scot_74
I get you 100%

I have felt the exact same way you are feeling my entire life in Australia. I arrived here when I was 14. This year I will be 44. Go with your gut and don't waste 30 odd years wishing for it like I have done.
i am in the process of now doing it. But I have three children to take with me.

Build the life you want to live
Thank you for your reply! Wow, that sure is a long time. I really hope your move goes well!
Old Apr 11th 2018, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Got a good laugh out of that, thank you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.