Want to go home to UK

Old Nov 25th 2010, 12:07 pm
  #16  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,100
windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to go home to UK

Originally Posted by Beedubya
My mum is 82 in December and in amazingly good health and looks years younger. She only gave up her little part time job in the market when she was 75 and has only given up her line dancing about 2 years ago. She is always going on package tours to Spain and the Canary Isles. She even went to Las Vegas a few years back with her girlfriends. I hope I have inherited her genes and if so that means I have at least another 25 years of living to do..........in my own country....oh I am sooo happy I am going home!!!

Only 13 weeks to go...............
Beautiful!!! I can't wait to go on some of those package tours to Spain. I adore Spain!!

A friend of mine in Britain who just retired from teaching told me he gets 1,000 pounds a month pension - he's 60. He about fell on the floor when I told him I would receive 1700 pounds a month from the US for my social security and pension combined, so I think I will be okay. I still don't know how much it will buy because I need to pay for housing over there, so I may still need a job until I reach 65 and retire properly. I am 58 now.
windsong is offline  
Old Nov 25th 2010, 12:29 pm
  #17  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Coming up for air
Posts: 98
moonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant future
Default Re: Want to go home to UK

Windsong, I am sure you would be able to get a teaching job in the UK, especially if you qualified there in the first place. You probably already know this but just in case you don't, here is the relevant website for info - http://www.gtce.org.uk/ Good luck. I also look forward to walking up those Lake District/Derbyshire/Welsh/Skye hills well into my 70's and beyond! Cheers
moonsurfer is offline  
Old Nov 25th 2010, 12:34 pm
  #18  
Home Sweet Home
 
Beedubya's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Surrey, England
Posts: 5,128
Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to go home to UK

Originally Posted by moonsurfer
Windsong, I am sure you would be able to get a teaching job in the UK, especially if you qualified there in the first place. You probably already know this but just in case you don't, here is the relevant website for info - http://www.gtce.org.uk/ Good luck. I also look forward to walking up those Lake District/Derbyshire/Welsh/Skye hills well into my 70's and beyond! Cheers
Oh me too, I did love my hiking days in the Lake District I even bought waterproof hiking shoes and a hiking stick LOL!!

I haven't done much of it since I came back here......

I am in Sydney moonsurfer where are you if you don't mind my asking?
Beedubya is offline  
Old Nov 25th 2010, 12:42 pm
  #19  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Coming up for air
Posts: 98
moonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant future
Default Re: Want to go home to UK

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Oh me too, I did love my hiking days in the Lake District I even bought waterproof hiking shoes and a hiking stick LOL!!

I haven't done much of it since I came back here......

I am in Sydney moonsurfer where are you if you don't mind my asking?
Hi Beedubya,

Still remember Striding Edge a few years back - scary in the sleet and wind

I'm in Canberra counting the days
moonsurfer is offline  
Old Nov 25th 2010, 12:47 pm
  #20  
Home Sweet Home
 
Beedubya's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Surrey, England
Posts: 5,128
Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to go home to UK

Originally Posted by moonsurfer
Hi Beedubya,

Still remember Striding Edge a few years back - scary in the sleet and wind

I'm in Canberra counting the days
Ah yes Canberra, I remember it well, the city where I felt like sticking pins in my eyes LOL!!

Have you seen Quoll's posts lately? She lives there too and is home in the UK for a holiday but dreading going back there tomorrow.

Do you have a date? And do you come on the "Over 50's and 60's" thread or are you a spring chicken?
Beedubya is offline  
Old Nov 25th 2010, 3:15 pm
  #21  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,100
windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to go home to UK

Originally Posted by moonsurfer
Windsong, I am sure you would be able to get a teaching job in the UK, especially if you qualified there in the first place. You probably already know this but just in case you don't, here is the relevant website for info - http://www.gtce.org.uk/ Good luck. I also look forward to walking up those Lake District/Derbyshire/Welsh/Skye hills well into my 70's and beyond! Cheers
Thank you. This is very helpful. It is the site for teaching in England. I was qualified in Scotland but perhaps they use the same standards now.
windsong is offline  
Old Nov 26th 2010, 8:00 pm
  #22  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Coming up for air
Posts: 98
moonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant future
Default Re: Want to go home to UK

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Ah yes Canberra, I remember it well, the city where I felt like sticking pins in my eyes LOL!!

Have you seen Quoll's posts lately? She lives there too and is home in the UK for a holiday but dreading going back there tomorrow.

Do you have a date? And do you come on the "Over 50's and 60's" thread or are you a spring chicken?
Was fortunate to meet the lovely Quoll for a coffee earlier this year - Canberra's a small place!

I'll be going in July next year all being well. Certainly have been on the over 50's-60s and am inspired by the courage and determination of the folk on there. I'm not quite 50 but it is looming
moonsurfer is offline  
Old Nov 26th 2010, 10:20 pm
  #23  
Ping-ponger
 
dunroving's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Dreich Alba
Posts: 12,017
dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to go home to UK

Originally Posted by moonsurfer
Windsong, I am sure you would be able to get a teaching job in the UK, especially if you qualified there in the first place. You probably already know this but just in case you don't, here is the relevant website for info - http://www.gtce.org.uk/ Good luck. I also look forward to walking up those Lake District/Derbyshire/Welsh/Skye hills well into my 70's and beyond! Cheers
I know this part of the BE site is primarily to give support to returnees, but I think false optimism doesn't help.

It is extremely difficult to get a teaching job at the moment, especially in Scotland, and being out of the system for many years will not help at all. The education system has changed completely over the past 10-20 years and education authorities are more likely to hire an inexpensive, newly trained, up to date teacher than a (potentially expensive/senior) person who is unfamiliar with the current system of education.

Sorry to rain on Windsong's parade, but it's important to be realistically prepared for the potential challenges. I've posted previously on the number of unemployed qualified teachers in Scotland and I'm not sure at all that a returning long-time expat will be able to find employment as a teacher.
dunroving is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2010, 8:36 am
  #24  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,100
windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to go home to UK

Originally Posted by dunroving
I know this part of the BE site is primarily to give support to returnees, but I think false optimism doesn't help.

It is extremely difficult to get a teaching job at the moment, especially in Scotland, and being out of the system for many years will not help at all. The education system has changed completely over the past 10-20 years and education authorities are more likely to hire an inexpensive, newly trained, up to date teacher than a (potentially expensive/senior) person who is unfamiliar with the current system of education.

Sorry to rain on Windsong's parade, but it's important to be realistically prepared for the potential challenges. I've posted previously on the number of unemployed qualified teachers in Scotland and I'm not sure at all that a returning long-time expat will be able to find employment as a teacher.
Don, a friend over there who is a former teacher and now retired told me the same thing (
windsong is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2010, 8:39 am
  #25  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: CHELTENHAM, Gloucestershire, England
Posts: 1,494
Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to go home to UK

Thirty years.....the Britain of 1980 and the Britain of 2010......that's quite a long time in between those two chronological dates......and a lot has changed during those thirty years.....and not all for the good either, unfortunately.

Social values have changed, sections of British society have changed and the way much of that society behaves and attitudes in general have changed quite markedly.

On the other hand, many other aspects of life in Britain during those thirty years have improved greatly. We now enjoy many more material things which are beneficial to us now in many ways which simply did not exist in 1980, so perhaps all those advantages go some way to offset all the negatives currently present in sections of British society today and which are much more apparent these days, and have become more so over the past thirteen years.

But all said and done there are still very many facets of life in the UK which are really good and enjoyable, so I will quite whingeing about the negatives and concentrate on the many positives. We do have much to be proud about in these islands after all, whatever our personal circumstances in the current difficult economic times of cut backs and monetary restraint.
Lothianlad is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2010, 9:29 am
  #26  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,100
windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to go home to UK

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Thirty years.....the Britain of 1980 and the Britain of 2010......that's quite a long time in between those two chronological dates......and a lot has changed during those thirty years.....and not all for the good either, unfortunately.

Social values have changed, sections of British society have changed and the way much of that society behaves and attitudes in general have changed quite markedly.

On the other hand, many other aspects of life in Britain during those thirty years have improved greatly. We now enjoy many more material things which are beneficial to us now in many ways which simply did not exist in 1980, so perhaps all those advantages go some way to offset all the negatives currently present in sections of British society today and which are much more apparent these days, and have become more so over the past thirteen years.

But all said and done there are still very many facets of life in the UK which are really good and enjoyable, so I will quite whingeing about the negatives and concentrate on the many positives. We do have much to be proud about in these islands after all, whatever our personal circumstances in the current difficult economic times of cut backs and monetary restraint.
Lothian - I see exactly where you are - Edinburgh! That's probably where I will return to as I love that city. I grew up there and went to university and teacher training college there.

It sounds a if you perhaps remember how life was in 1980. Can you tell me about those changes, or some of them?

It appears secondary school teacher jobs are scarce so can you tell me roughly how much personal assistants make over there? Or, where can I go to find out? I want to investigate work opportunities there so I know what I am looking for before I get there. I have given myself two years to plan my move. I was hoping to begin drawing social security at age 60 but it appears it is 62 and, as such, I want to know how much I can make over there so I know I will be able to survive.
windsong is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2010, 10:04 am
  #27  
Finally Home!
 
sallysimmons's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Used to be New York, now North Yorkshire
Posts: 3,610
sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to go home to UK

Originally Posted by windsong
Sally, you can come, too!!
Can you talk to my husband?
sallysimmons is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2010, 10:08 am
  #28  
Finally Home!
 
sallysimmons's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Used to be New York, now North Yorkshire
Posts: 3,610
sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to go home to UK

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
But all said and done there are still very many facets of life in the UK which are really good and enjoyable, so I will quite whingeing about the negatives and concentrate on the many positives. We do have much to be proud about in these islands after all, whatever our personal circumstances in the current difficult economic times of cut backs and monetary restraint.
How true - and don't forget that most parts of the world are experiencing the same. It's no party here in the US that's for sure.

When I was back in the UK I was surprised how little I thought it had changed. I had heard all the dire warnings of massive change, so maybe I was expecting a completely strange place but it all seemed so familiar - only better. The restaurants for one thing - there was nothing like that when I left 20 years ago! The small towns were much more cosmopolitan and I like that. Admittedly I didn't go into rough city centres, but then I have no interest in living somewhere like that.
sallysimmons is offline  
Old Nov 29th 2010, 1:12 pm
  #29  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to go home to UK

Originally Posted by windsong
I also don't have much money to take back with me; however, I can begin to take a small pension from a 16-year long job in the U.S. at age 60 and also social security at age 60. If I do that, though, can I work in the U.K? I don't see why not but I don't know if beginning to receive social security from the U.S. would prevent me from working there. I believe in the U.S. after you start receiving social security you can only earn so much after that.
You don't tell us if you're a US citizen or not, if not then there might be problems getting your Social Security if you leave. Even if not now, perhaps in the future. Also, once your green card is gone, you don't have the option to return to the US if you change your mind.
JAJ is offline  
Old Nov 29th 2010, 2:05 pm
  #30  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,100
windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to go home to UK

Originally Posted by JAJ
You don't tell us if you're a US citizen or not, if not then there might be problems getting your Social Security if you leave. Even if not now, perhaps in the future. Also, once your green card is gone, you don't have the option to return to the US if you change your mind.
Yes, I am a U.S. citizen. I am assuming it is easy to receive funds in another country.
windsong is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.