Want to go home to UK

Old Nov 26th 2010, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to go home to UK

Originally Posted by Beedubya
My mum is 82 in December and in amazingly good health and looks years younger. She only gave up her little part time job in the market when she was 75 and has only given up her line dancing about 2 years ago. She is always going on package tours to Spain and the Canary Isles. She even went to Las Vegas a few years back with her girlfriends. I hope I have inherited her genes and if so that means I have at least another 25 years of living to do..........in my own country....oh I am sooo happy I am going home!!!

Only 13 weeks to go...............
Beautiful!!! I can't wait to go on some of those package tours to Spain. I adore Spain!!

A friend of mine in Britain who just retired from teaching told me he gets 1,000 pounds a month pension - he's 60. He about fell on the floor when I told him I would receive 1700 pounds a month from the US for my social security and pension combined, so I think I will be okay. I still don't know how much it will buy because I need to pay for housing over there, so I may still need a job until I reach 65 and retire properly. I am 58 now.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

moonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant future

Windsong, I am sure you would be able to get a teaching job in the UK, especially if you qualified there in the first place. You probably already know this but just in case you don't, here is the relevant website for info - http://www.gtce.org.uk/ Good luck. I also look forward to walking up those Lake District/Derbyshire/Welsh/Skye hills well into my 70's and beyond! Cheers
Old Nov 26th 2010, 12:34 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moonsurfer
Windsong, I am sure you would be able to get a teaching job in the UK, especially if you qualified there in the first place. You probably already know this but just in case you don't, here is the relevant website for info - http://www.gtce.org.uk/ Good luck. I also look forward to walking up those Lake District/Derbyshire/Welsh/Skye hills well into my 70's and beyond! Cheers
Oh me too, I did love my hiking days in the Lake District I even bought waterproof hiking shoes and a hiking stick LOL!!

I haven't done much of it since I came back here......

I am in Sydney moonsurfer where are you if you don't mind my asking?
Old Nov 26th 2010, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

moonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant future

Oh me too, I did love my hiking days in the Lake District I even bought waterproof hiking shoes and a hiking stick LOL!!

I haven't done much of it since I came back here......

I am in Sydney moonsurfer where are you if you don't mind my asking?
Hi Beedubya,

Still remember Striding Edge a few years back - scary in the sleet and wind

I'm in Canberra counting the days
Old Nov 26th 2010, 12:47 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Beedubya,

Still remember Striding Edge a few years back - scary in the sleet and wind

I'm in Canberra counting the days
Ah yes Canberra, I remember it well, the city where I felt like sticking pins in my eyes LOL!!

Have you seen Quoll's posts lately? She lives there too and is home in the UK for a holiday but dreading going back there tomorrow.

Do you have a date? And do you come on the "Over 50's and 60's" thread or are you a spring chicken?
Old Nov 26th 2010, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. This is very helpful. It is the site for teaching in England. I was qualified in Scotland but perhaps they use the same standards now.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Ah yes Canberra, I remember it well, the city where I felt like sticking pins in my eyes LOL!!

Have you seen Quoll's posts lately? She lives there too and is home in the UK for a holiday but dreading going back there tomorrow.

Do you have a date? And do you come on the "Over 50's and 60's" thread or are you a spring chicken?
Was fortunate to meet the lovely Quoll for a coffee earlier this year - Canberra's a small place!

I'll be going in July next year all being well. Certainly have been on the over 50's-60s and am inspired by the courage and determination of the folk on there. I'm not quite 50 but it is looming
Old Nov 27th 2010, 10:20 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I know this part of the BE site is primarily to give support to returnees, but I think false optimism doesn't help.

It is extremely difficult to get a teaching job at the moment, especially in Scotland, and being out of the system for many years will not help at all. The education system has changed completely over the past 10-20 years and education authorities are more likely to hire an inexpensive, newly trained, up to date teacher than a (potentially expensive/senior) person who is unfamiliar with the current system of education.

Sorry to rain on Windsong's parade, but it's important to be realistically prepared for the potential challenges. I've posted previously on the number of unemployed qualified teachers in Scotland and I'm not sure at all that a returning long-time expat will be able to find employment as a teacher.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
I know this part of the BE site is primarily to give support to returnees, but I think false optimism doesn't help.

It is extremely difficult to get a teaching job at the moment, especially in Scotland, and being out of the system for many years will not help at all. The education system has changed completely over the past 10-20 years and education authorities are more likely to hire an inexpensive, newly trained, up to date teacher than a (potentially expensive/senior) person who is unfamiliar with the current system of education.

Sorry to rain on Windsong's parade, but it's important to be realistically prepared for the potential challenges. I've posted previously on the number of unemployed qualified teachers in Scotland and I'm not sure at all that a returning long-time expat will be able to find employment as a teacher.
Don, a friend over there who is a former teacher and now retired told me the same thing (
Old Nov 27th 2010, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Thirty years.....the Britain of 1980 and the Britain of 2010......that's quite a long time in between those two chronological dates......and a lot has changed during those thirty years.....and not all for the good either, unfortunately.

Social values have changed, sections of British society have changed and the way much of that society behaves and attitudes in general have changed quite markedly.

On the other hand, many other aspects of life in Britain during those thirty years have improved greatly. We now enjoy many more material things which are beneficial to us now in many ways which simply did not exist in 1980, so perhaps all those advantages go some way to offset all the negatives currently present in sections of British society today and which are much more apparent these days, and have become more so over the past thirteen years.

But all said and done there are still very many facets of life in the UK which are really good and enjoyable, so I will quite whingeing about the negatives and concentrate on the many positives. We do have much to be proud about in these islands after all, whatever our personal circumstances in the current difficult economic times of cut backs and monetary restraint.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Thirty years.....the Britain of 1980 and the Britain of 2010......that's quite a long time in between those two chronological dates......and a lot has changed during those thirty years.....and not all for the good either, unfortunately.

Social values have changed, sections of British society have changed and the way much of that society behaves and attitudes in general have changed quite markedly.

On the other hand, many other aspects of life in Britain during those thirty years have improved greatly. We now enjoy many more material things which are beneficial to us now in many ways which simply did not exist in 1980, so perhaps all those advantages go some way to offset all the negatives currently present in sections of British society today and which are much more apparent these days, and have become more so over the past thirteen years.

But all said and done there are still very many facets of life in the UK which are really good and enjoyable, so I will quite whingeing about the negatives and concentrate on the many positives. We do have much to be proud about in these islands after all, whatever our personal circumstances in the current difficult economic times of cut backs and monetary restraint.
Lothian - I see exactly where you are - Edinburgh! That's probably where I will return to as I love that city. I grew up there and went to university and teacher training college there.

It sounds a if you perhaps remember how life was in 1980. Can you tell me about those changes, or some of them?

It appears secondary school teacher jobs are scarce so can you tell me roughly how much personal assistants make over there? Or, where can I go to find out? I want to investigate work opportunities there so I know what I am looking for before I get there. I have given myself two years to plan my move. I was hoping to begin drawing social security at age 60 but it appears it is 62 and, as such, I want to know how much I can make over there so I know I will be able to survive.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 10:04 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Sally, you can come, too!!
Can you talk to my husband?
Old Nov 27th 2010, 10:08 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
How true - and don't forget that most parts of the world are experiencing the same. It's no party here in the US that's for sure.

When I was back in the UK I was surprised how little I thought it had changed. I had heard all the dire warnings of massive change, so maybe I was expecting a completely strange place but it all seemed so familiar - only better. The restaurants for one thing - there was nothing like that when I left 20 years ago! The small towns were much more cosmopolitan and I like that. Admittedly I didn't go into rough city centres, but then I have no interest in living somewhere like that.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 1:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I also don't have much money to take back with me; however, I can begin to take a small pension from a 16-year long job in the U.S. at age 60 and also social security at age 60. If I do that, though, can I work in the U.K? I don't see why not but I don't know if beginning to receive social security from the U.S. would prevent me from working there. I believe in the U.S. after you start receiving social security you can only earn so much after that.
You don't tell us if you're a US citizen or not, if not then there might be problems getting your Social Security if you leave. Even if not now, perhaps in the future. Also, once your green card is gone, you don't have the option to return to the US if you change your mind.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
You don't tell us if you're a US citizen or not, if not then there might be problems getting your Social Security if you leave. Even if not now, perhaps in the future. Also, once your green card is gone, you don't have the option to return to the US if you change your mind.
Yes, I am a U.S. citizen. I am assuming it is easy to receive funds in another country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.