British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Want to go home to UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/want-go-home-uk-694718/)

windsong Nov 25th 2010 1:35 am

Want to go home to UK

I have been in the U.S. far too long - 30 years. I never really adjusted that well but made the most of it. At 58, I have decided I just don't want to live here any more.

I did all my education in Britain and was a fully certified secondary school teacher before I left, but that was a long time ago and I haven't taught for many years. I would like to return to teaching there but don't know if I could since so many years have passed.

I also don't have much money to take back with me; however, I can begin to take a small pension from a 16-year long job in the U.S. at age 60 and also social security at age 60. If I do that, though, can I work in the U.K? I don't see why not but I don't know if beginning to receive social security from the U.S. would prevent me from working there. I believe in the U.S. after you start receiving social security you can only earn so much after that.

I also wonder if I could adjust. Britain will always be home and I would love to be able to readjust. I just don't know how long it takes. It took me five years to adjust to living in the U.S., probably because I didn't want to be here in the first place. I hope it doesn't take five years to readjust to Britain.

As I mentioned, I have been in the U.S. 30 years. I went back once for a two-week vacation 10 years ago - didn't want to return to the U.S. but I had commitments here at that time.

Anyway, would love your thoughts.

(I also have pets I would take with me.)

ldyinlv Nov 25th 2010 1:39 am

Re: Want to go home to UK

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9002630)
I have been in the U.S. far too long - 30 years. I never really adjusted that well but made the most of it. At 58, I have decided I just don't want to live here any more.

I did all my education in Britain and was a fully certified secondary school teacher before I left, but that was a long time ago and I haven't taught for many years. I would like to return to teaching there but don't know if I could since so many years have passed.

I also don't have much money to take back with me; however, I can begin to take a small pension from a 16-year long job in the U.S. at age 60 and also social security at age 60. If I do that, though, can I work in the U.K? I don't see why not but I don't know if beginning to receive social security from the U.S. would prevent me from working there. I believe in the U.S. after you start receiving social security you can only earn so much after that.

I also wonder if I could adjust. Britain will always be home and I would love to be able to readjust. I just don't know how long it takes. It took me five years to adjust to living in the U.S., probably because I didn't want to be here in the first place. I hope it doesn't take five years to readjust to Britain.

As I mentioned, I have been in the U.S. 30 years. I went back once for a two-week vacation 10 years ago - didn't want to return to the U.S. but I had commitments here at that time.

Anyway, would love your thoughts.

(I also have pets I would take with me.)

Go on over to the over 50 and 60s moving back to the UK thread, you will find many of us over the there in the same position as you. Me for example, I have been in the us 34 years, heading back to UK in february...

Jackie..:)

windsong Nov 25th 2010 1:44 am

Originally Posted by ldyinlv (Post 9002636)
Go on over to the over 50 and 60s moving back to the UK thread, you will find many of us over the there in the same position as you. Me for example, I have been in the us 34 years, heading back to UK in february...

Jackie..:)

Thank you, Jackie. I will do that. I am relieved there are others who are feeling the same way I am about wanting to go home :)

Gabgoeshome Nov 25th 2010 3:32 am

I just wanted to say Good -luck .:)

We are heading back to UK within the next year ...

You will find lots of help on the over 50s /60s thread !

windsong Nov 25th 2010 3:41 am

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome (Post 9002782)
I just wanted to say Good -luck .:)

We are heading back to UK within the next year ...

You will find lots of help on the over 50s /60s thread !

Thank you :))) I did post over there, too. You must be SO looking forward to going home. Are you returning from the USA?

Gabgoeshome Nov 25th 2010 3:55 am

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9002788)
Thank you :))) I did post over there, too. You must be SO looking forward to going home. Are you returning from the USA?

Hello again lol .

Yes ,we are really looking forward to it :)

quoll Nov 25th 2010 8:01 am

If there is nothing trapping you there then get your skates on and go for it!!! Life is too short to be doing time where you dont want to be!

I see older women in the workforce here all the time, and, quite honestly am surprised at the number of older people (especially women) in shops, banks, restaurants etc. I dont see nearly as many in Aus still working. I would like to think that there is something out there if you are prepared to do it! You may not end up teaching (unless you really want to) but it looks as if there is a whole range of other opportunities.

As for readjustment - mine starts the moment we start flying in over the channel and I see Kent and London below me. Landing at Heathrow is like coming home and although I have only been here almost 6 weeks (sadly, leave today and still not packed!) I have found that I have thought of Australia less and less as time goes by (even the DH and remainder of the family!!!). Now when I think of it, it is with the dread of knowing that I have to go back there.

Good luck, go for it!!!!

windsong Nov 25th 2010 11:57 am

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 9003037)
If there is nothing trapping you there then get your skates on and go for it!!! Life is too short to be doing time where you dont want to be!

I see older women in the workforce here all the time, and, quite honestly am surprised at the number of older people (especially women) in shops, banks, restaurants etc. I dont see nearly as many in Aus still working. I would like to think that there is something out there if you are prepared to do it! You may not end up teaching (unless you really want to) but it looks as if there is a whole range of other opportunities.

As for readjustment - mine starts the moment we start flying in over the channel and I see Kent and London below me. Landing at Heathrow is like coming home and although I have only been here almost 6 weeks (sadly, leave today and still not packed!) I have found that I have thought of Australia less and less as time goes by (even the DH and remainder of the family!!!). Now when I think of it, it is with the dread of knowing that I have to go back there.

Good luck, go for it!!!!

I would like to go back to teaching if I can but, if not, a high level executive assistant position (such as working for CEO) would be fine. Believe me, I would return today if I could but I need to plan as I have pets I am taking with me. Would never dream of leaving them behind. I love them and they are my family. Also, I have been hit by the bad economy - unemployment, etc. so I have to save money to get back and get settled.

windsong Nov 25th 2010 12:00 pm

Good luck, go for it!!!!

"The dread of going back to your second country". I can SO relate to that ;) I have been in the U.S. 30 years and in that time I have been back to the UK three times. Each time the plane began flying over British soil, I cried. I was home!! To walk off the plane and see the greenery - emerald greenery - of Edinburgh is a sight to be seen. It's unforgettable. Each time I arrived back in the U.S. I was depressed for months and months afterwards!! I SO wanted to stay in Britain. It feels like a wasted life. I should have spent those 30 years in Britain and not the USA.

windsong Nov 25th 2010 12:04 pm

Good luck, go for it!!!!

"The dread of going back to your second country". I can SO relate to that ;) I have been in the U.S. 30 years and in that time I have been back to the UK three times. Each time the plane began flying over British soil, I cried. I was home!! To walk off the plane and see the greenery - emerald greenery - of Edinburgh is a sight to be seen. It's unforgettable. Each time I arrived back in the U.S. I was depressed for months and months afterwards!! I SO wanted to stay in Britain. It feels like a wasted life. I should have spent those 30 years in Britain and not the USA. However, life in the USA (as much as I don't care for it) is now what I know. I want to go home so badly but I wonder if I know how to live there any more. Scared.

It used to be (30 yrs ago) that there were barely any jobs for people 60 and over and in the U.S. there were many. I just turned 58 (and a young 58) and, although I will receive social security from the U.S. Govt as well as a small $600 a month pension from my former company, I still want to get a job in the UK.I am nowhere near ready to become a typical UK old age pensioner.

J.J Nov 25th 2010 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 9003439)
.I am nowhere near ready to become a typical UK old age pensioner.

Probably won't happen, you are outside of the forming process, although depends what you would describe as a typical UK old age pensioner ? Assuming you mean the stereotype armchair type, then there are as many sprightly active pensioners here too. They hike, they volunteer, they go to shows and concerts, there is much to be occupied with.

windsong Nov 25th 2010 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by J.J (Post 9003544)
Probably won't happen, you are outside of the forming process, although depends what you would describe as a typical UK old age pensioner ? Assuming you mean the stereotype armchair type, then there are as many sprightly active pensioners here too. They hike, they volunteer, they go to shows and concerts, there is much to be occupied with.

Thank you. That's wonderful to know! I still have lots of goals, one of which is to do some freelance work in web and graphic design. I am always learning something new and trying to make money :)) I love web and graphic design.

Yes, I meant the stereotypical armchair type - with the cane. I was 23 when I left and somehow that's the image I have in my mind of older people. My father lived until he was 90 which means I still have 32 years left :))

sallysimmons Nov 25th 2010 1:16 pm

Yup. My mum has been retired for 10 years. She'll be 70 next year and she still goes for 10 mile hikes up mountains in the Lake District. I can't keep up with her! She seems to be busier now than when she was working full-time.

Windsong, good luck to you - I am very envious!

windsong Nov 25th 2010 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9003567)
Yup. My mum has been retired for 10 years. She'll be 70 next year and she still goes for 10 mile hikes up mountains in the Lake District. I can't keep up with her! She seems to be busier now than when she was working full-time.

Sally, you can come, too!!

Honestly, I think it is the daily 10-mile walks my dad took through the Somerset hills that kept him going until he was 90! He had a dodgy heart an was asthmatic and he still lived until he was 90 :)

Beedubya Nov 26th 2010 12:02 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9003567)

My mum is 82 in December and in amazingly good health and looks years younger. She only gave up her little part time job in the market when she was 75 and has only given up her line dancing about 2 years ago. She is always going on package tours to Spain and the Canary Isles. She even went to Las Vegas a few years back with her girlfriends. I hope I have inherited her genes and if so that means I have at least another 25 years of living to do..........in my own country....oh I am sooo happy I am going home!!! :thumbsup:

Only 13 weeks to go...............:eek: