Want to go home to UK

Old Dec 11th 2010, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

aries_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Want to go home to UK

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
It's hard when they are that age and think they are worth so much more and deserve so much more. If he won't take a 10k apprenticeship I bet he'll have lots of applicants for the job, maybe it's time to cut back on what you pay for and have him start forking over for his own luxuries in life. I know we had Ds find a job and pay his own car insurance and petrol he had very little left over, but after a year of doing that he became a lot more frugal.
I also made a deal with him at 16, I'll pay the first driving lesson (they have to have three professional ones here) I'll pay half the second lesson and he had to pay for the third. I kept reminding him of the cost and start putting aside the money and he did it reluctantly, but it was a good lesson.
We did the same for the one thats 16 now, but he a more eager saver and has his own plans
The thing is we don't pay him anything. I stopped it all the day he got his NI card through he has a part time job paying him between £30 & £60 a week depending upon how many hours he does and he pays for his own social life, although I do pay for some of his essential clothes, the rest he funds himself, so he isn't idle.

He just believes it is his right to go to University as do 50% of his peers and probably his entire generation.

Still £30 a week won't be enough for driving lessons as well as a social life now will it! ...........

Last edited by aries_bird; Dec 11th 2010 at 10:06 am. Reason: typo
Old Dec 11th 2010, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to go home to UK

Originally Posted by aries_bird
The thing is we don't pay him anything. I stopped it all the day he got his NI card through he has a part time job paying him between £30 & £60 a week depending upon how many hours he does and he pays for his own social life, although I do pay for some of his essential clothes, the rest he funds himself, so he isn't idle.

He just believes it is his right to go to University as do 50% of his peers and probably his entire generation.

Still £30 a week won't be enough for driving lessons as well as a social life now will it! ...........
As a former teacher in the UK - and having been one in the U.S., too - I believe it is everyone's "right" to have a chance at a decent education. And they shouldn't have to hold down a full-time job to pay for it at the same time they are going to school either. I don't believe in someone going to college just to get out of working, though. I mean some go just to have fun and I don't believe in that.

I also believe it should be every human being's "right" to have decent health care as well.