The UK pics thread...

Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The UK pics thread...

Originally Posted by paulrachel
oh wow. I lived near Emmerdale. I watch it here everyday too. Some Aussie friends were round at our house when it was on and they couldn't believe how lovely the dales looked. They said they thought UK was all dark and depressing. What do they know, they have never left their home country. Such a shame really, they know of nothing else and just generalise.

You've hit on something there that is common place in this country. I personally don't blame the Aussie public either. The Aussies in general are taught and told by various governments over time that this is the lucky country. Even the national anthem paints this country in a golden glowing light. Combine this with the old stereotypical footage of the 10 pound pom escaping the old tennaments in their masses just after the war, and you can start to see how people here have been taught to think in this way. When you show people pictures like this your opening their eyes to a new britain that they barely knew existed except for romance novels. Basically your undermining a deepset belief system. I can assure you when ever I point to the positives of the UK, I am howled down by most Aussies, who would hate to think that anywhere could be better than "this utopia". It's changing, but its taking a heck of a while and it's not a pleasant change for the Aussie mindset as a whole. Mind you there are still plenty of Brits, that still think "Britannia rules the waves" and gave civilisation to the world, so there is mass misconception in every society.

Ive given up telling people that UK supermarkets could be cheaper than Aussie ones, because people here "know" thats untrue. Sad innit.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 1:43 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
You've hit on something there that is common place in this country. I personally don't blame the Aussie public either. The Aussies in general are taught and told by various governments over time that this is the lucky country. Even the national anthem paints this country in a golden glowing light. Combine this with the old stereotypical footage of the 10 pound pom escaping the old tennaments in their masses just after the war, and you can start to see how people here have been taught to think in this way. When you show people pictures like this your opening their eyes to a new britain that they barely knew existed except for romance novels. Basically your undermining a deepset belief system. I can assure you when ever I point to the positives of the UK, I am howled down by most Aussies, who would hate to think that anywhere could be better than "this utopia". It's changing, but its taking a heck of a while and it's not a pleasant change for the Aussie mindset as a whole. Mind you there are still plenty of Brits, that still think "Britannia rules the waves" and gave civilisation to the world, so there is mass misconception in every society.

Ive given up telling people that UK supermarkets could be cheaper than Aussie ones, because people here "know" thats untrue. Sad innit.

Yes, sad but true.

I still find it sad that most Aussies haven't even left their country to explore different ways of living. Maybe if they did they wouldn't find OZ to be the one and only "lucky country" and not dog down other countries as much.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 6:03 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
oh wow. I lived near Emmerdale. I watch it here everyday too. Some Aussie friends were round at our house when it was on and they couldn't believe how lovely the dales looked. They said they thought UK was all dark and depressing. What do they know, they have never left their home country. Such a shame really, they know of nothing else and just generalise.
I still find it strange that we never appreciated this area before we left the UK - its literally 10 minutes from where we used to live and I didnt ever consider living here. It took me to go to the other side of the world to realise what was on the doorstep

Totally agree with both you and Ozzieeagle about Aussies not understanding the beauty of Britain. I put a screensaver of my piccies from home on my pc at work and my Aussie colleague just wouldnt believe that they were from the UK.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:55 pm

glad 2 b back is an unknown quantity at this point

heres a couple, 1st sighting or english soil. First time the dogs seen snow (and my daughter) out door ice scating at the nat history museum. Margate in April xx
Attached Thumbnails The UK pics thread...-05jan06-016.jpg   The UK pics thread...-april07-082.jpg   The UK pics thread...-april07-024.jpg   The UK pics thread...-april07-033.jpg  
Old Jul 11th 2007, 4:32 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

My fave pics are the ones of the snow and also the gorgeous Tudor style buildings. We had one of those near a house we lived in years ago, and I'd gawk in amazement at it's beauty every time I went past it.

I've seen some truly awesome sunsets since being here, but it doesn't compare to seeing fresh snow, especially on Christmas morning.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 12:35 am
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Are you familiar with the Geograph the British Isles Web site? http://www.geograph.org.uk/. I've been going there for ages, just browsing through the pics, oohing and ahing. Sometimes I look for something specific (you can search on subject matter) or look to see at ones of places I used to live.

Also, Beautiful Britain has some nice pics. http://www.beautifulbritain.co.uk/

I'm loving the ones you're all posting! Thanks so much.

Sarah in TX
Old Jul 12th 2007, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Great photos, I wonder how my big softie of a dog is gonna do when he sees the snow!!
Old Jul 12th 2007, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
Great photos, I wonder how my big softie of a dog is gonna do when he sees the snow!!

it was quite funny they were slipping and sliding everywhere! My dogs are nightmares tho, they go bersek when they see other dogs. Its so embarrassing. I live quite close to a big park but can't bring them because they are so anti-social, I have to bring them up to capstone (which is lovely), and avoid dogs.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been tabogganing (however you spell it) at Capstone?? and dry skiing (if they still do it there??)
Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:05 am

Have you been tabogganing (however you spell it) at Capstone?? and dry skiing (if they still do it there??)
the dry ski slope is still there, but we haven't gone yet. Although I am planning but a bit nervous, my daughter might be going sking next year with the school (find out tomorrow) so I'll get her some lessons.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

My middle one at another favourite place Rye
Attached Thumbnails The UK pics thread...-img_0065.jpg  
Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:16 am

My middle one at another favourite place Rye
ahh she's lovely! I bet you can't wait to get back xx
Old Jul 13th 2007, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by glad 2 b back
ahh she's lovely! I bet you can't wait to get back xx
Your dogs are cute, did you bring them all back from Spain?

xx
Old Jul 17th 2007, 1:30 pm

I bought some prints when I was in camden last and my oh got them framed sorry about the shadows, we'll put them up when finished decorating.

Attached Thumbnails The UK pics thread...-dscf0389.jpg   The UK pics thread...-dscf0392.jpg   The UK pics thread...-dscf0393.jpg  
Old Jul 17th 2007, 1:39 pm

Tour de france, camden lock and driving thru acton on saturday.

Attached Thumbnails The UK pics thread...-dscf0349.jpg   The UK pics thread...-dscf0361.jpg   The UK pics thread...-dscf0366.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.