UK life, post-Canada

Old Jul 18th 2013, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Wilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud ofWilto has much to be proud of
Default Re: UK life, post-Canada

Originally Posted by lcar
Just as an update, 3 of my children and I have now been back in the UK for a month.
2 of the children are back at their old school, the third is currently sitting International GCSE exams, ready to return to sixth form to study A levels in September. (If she passes them, it will show that it is possible to sit GCSE exams after studying from a revision guide for only 7 weeks We will see.)
My other son is still with my OH in Ontario, waiting (im)patiently for our house to sell. My OH will continue with his current job until we get a sale - but we are having to keep everything quiet, so that his employer doesn't get cold feet and finish his contract early...
Having spent 19 months trying to find work in northern Ontario, I have found a job in Cardiff, Wales in less than a month. I start in a management role in 2 weeks.
We are living with my in-laws. They are being very kind and hospitable, but my step-father-in-law is unwell, and we need to get out asap.
There is a lot to deal with - housing, benefits, tax credits, bills, no income (yet), settling the children at school, daughter's GCSE revision etc.
We returned with just a suitcase each, so we have clothes, but nothing else. Unfortunately we sold our house before we left, and took all our furniture to Ontario.
Renting an unfurnished house will be fun
Not much seems to have changed in this part of Wales, and there doesn't seem to be an economic crisis here, although a couple of shops have closed down since we left.
Anyway, it is good to be home. Apart from the children's slight Canadian accents, it almost feels as if we never left.
Congratulations! We are planning to move from the USA to Cardiff in the next 6 to 9 months. Glad to hear your enjoying it and the job market worked out for you in Cardiff as I hope it works out for me too!