UK life, post-Canada

Old Jun 2nd 2013, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

lcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of light
Default UK life, post-Canada

Just as an update, 3 of my children and I have now been back in the UK for a month.
2 of the children are back at their old school, the third is currently sitting International GCSE exams, ready to return to sixth form to study A levels in September. (If she passes them, it will show that it is possible to sit GCSE exams after studying from a revision guide for only 7 weeks We will see.)
My other son is still with my OH in Ontario, waiting (im)patiently for our house to sell. My OH will continue with his current job until we get a sale - but we are having to keep everything quiet, so that his employer doesn't get cold feet and finish his contract early...
Having spent 19 months trying to find work in northern Ontario, I have found a job in Cardiff, Wales in less than a month. I start in a management role in 2 weeks.
We are living with my in-laws. They are being very kind and hospitable, but my step-father-in-law is unwell, and we need to get out asap.
There is a lot to deal with - housing, benefits, tax credits, bills, no income (yet), settling the children at school, daughter's GCSE revision etc.
We returned with just a suitcase each, so we have clothes, but nothing else. Unfortunately we sold our house before we left, and took all our furniture to Ontario.
Renting an unfurnished house will be fun
Not much seems to have changed in this part of Wales, and there doesn't seem to be an economic crisis here, although a couple of shops have closed down since we left.
Anyway, it is good to be home. Apart from the children's slight Canadian accents, it almost feels as if we never left.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 1:10 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK life, post-Canada

I am so glad that you all arrived well and that it seems like the kids are settling back into UK studies, and even, the dreaded exams

Many congratulations on your new job...well done you that surge of confidence must have put the tribulations of the last two years in the shade! I do hope that all continues to go well with you and yours, you deserve it to!

My very very best of luck.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

Jimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lcar
Just as an update, 3 of my children and I have now been back in the UK for a month.
2 of the children are back at their old school, the third is currently sitting International GCSE exams, ready to return to sixth form to study A levels in September. (If she passes them, it will show that it is possible to sit GCSE exams after studying from a revision guide for only 7 weeks We will see.)
My other son is still with my OH in Ontario, waiting (im)patiently for our house to sell. My OH will continue with his current job until we get a sale - but we are having to keep everything quiet, so that his employer doesn't get cold feet and finish his contract early...
Having spent 19 months trying to find work in northern Ontario, I have found a job in Cardiff, Wales in less than a month. I start in a management role in 2 weeks.
We are living with my in-laws. They are being very kind and hospitable, but my step-father-in-law is unwell, and we need to get out asap.
There is a lot to deal with - housing, benefits, tax credits, bills, no income (yet), settling the children at school, daughter's GCSE revision etc.
We returned with just a suitcase each, so we have clothes, but nothing else. Unfortunately we sold our house before we left, and took all our furniture to Ontario.
Not much seems to have changed in this part of Wales, and there doesn't seem to be an economic crisis here, although a couple of shops have closed down since we left.
Anyway, it is good to be home. Apart from the children's slight Canadian accents, it almost feels as if we never left.
Just wanted to say good luck with everything on your return to the UK. A brave step to make the move in reverse but it sounds like it's for the best judging from your earlier posts.
We left Cardiff's not-so-shiny neighbour, Newport, for Canada nearly a year ago but I think you've returned to a nice city which we saw prosper and grow over recent years - plus now you have Premier League on your doorstep! Good luck with everything
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 3rd 2013, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

How wonderful to hear you have a job already!!! It's really great to hear the struggle of trying to find a job in Canada for so long and then finding one over there so soon. BRAVO UK!!!
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Wonderful news! Especially about the job! I am in the same position here in Florida, but I know I will have more success once I am back home. Cardiff is on our short list, even though I am originally from London. We are really looking forward to visiting in a year or so. Good luck with everything
Old Jun 4th 2013, 4:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you have hit the ground running! Well done and good luck with the exams - that's a huge challenge to take on! Hope your Canadian place sells soon!
Old Jun 4th 2013, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Fingers crossed your house sells very soon!

I can imagine its all been hectic and a bit stressy but you sound in good spirits and that is wonderful about landing a job!
Old Jun 5th 2013, 10:14 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Well done on the job front. All sounds quite positive and for a quick house sale.
Are you shipping all the furniture back to UK or just getting rid and buying used or new.
My thought was for less than the cost of shipping I could buy used in better shape than the stuff we own. So we are getting id of it all and just bringing toys, books tools, things that are too expensive to replace and memorabilia from the childrens lives.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Well done on the job front. All sounds quite positive and for a quick house sale.
Are you shipping all the furniture back to UK or just getting rid and buying used or new.
My thought was for less than the cost of shipping I could buy used in better shape than the stuff we own. So we are getting id of it all and just bringing toys, books tools, things that are too expensive to replace and memorabilia from the childrens lives.
I actually went to Ikea UK and you are RIGHT - the cost to replace with new the stuff we could sell here, would be SO much cheaper than shipping the old stuff we have here! Who knew? New life, new stuff! Now, to sort those books... (hardest task). Each kiddo will take their three favourite toys with them, MOM (me) will decide on the best of our books to take with us (for homeschooling), and the rest will be personal things I cannot replace due to sentimental value.

This is a lot of hard work!
Old Jun 7th 2013, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

Redgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to all

Great update, you are settling in so fast and sound so positive! Congrats on the job and hope your house sells quickly. Good luck to your kids with their exams. It's great to hear from others who are home.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

lcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you all for your very kind and positive comments.
There are of course regrets - we really wanted to make it work in Canada, but even though it didn't work for us, we have built some fantastic memories which won't leave us.
We took a 40 foot container out with us, and intended to bring a 20 foot container back. But, the cost of the 20 foot from the Canadian side is even more than the 40 foot cost us 2 years ago from the UK side.
So, we have decided to bring only the things we can't bear to leave behind - my father's piano, my mother's grandfather clock, a pine welsh dresser and bookshelf which were wedding presents, some oil paintings that my mum gave us.
Plus clothes, toys and personal belongings.
We are hoping that this will be about half of a shared 20 foot container, and that this will cut our costs a lot.
My daughter and I actually spent most of yesterday at Ikea (and Wilkinsons, and various other cheap shops) pricing up everything from scissors and graters to plates, mugs and cutlery, dining table and chairs, table mats, sofas, beds, duvets, pillows and wardrobes - and, although I haven't dared to add the whole lot up yet I am still sure that it will be around a quarter of the cost to bring even the 20 foot container we had planned.
It actually feels really good contemplating starting completely fresh - new us, new start.
Feeling positive
Old Jun 7th 2013, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Wonderful news! Especially about the job! I am in the same position here in Florida, but I know I will have more success once I am back home. Cardiff is on our short list, even though I am originally from London. We are really looking forward to visiting in a year or so. Good luck with everything
I'm originally from London too. Cardiff is a vibrant, busy and growing city. Lots going on, lots of improvements made. The rough parts have been tidied up, even since we left 2 years ago. I love it. We live about 15 minutes outside, in the Vale of Glamorgan, which is peaceful, sleepy and very green and beautiful - the best of all worlds. I will be working in Cardiff Bay, just along from the National Assembly. Life is good, and getting better
Old Jun 8th 2013, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

I'm originally from London too. Cardiff is a vibrant, busy and growing city. Lots going on, lots of improvements made. The rough parts have been tidied up, even since we left 2 years ago. I love it. We live about 15 minutes outside, in the Vale of Glamorgan, which is peaceful, sleepy and very green and beautiful - the best of all worlds. I will be working in Cardiff Bay, just along from the National Assembly. Life is good, and getting better
Sounds perfect! Do you mind if I pick your brain a bit every now and then? We will be looking in the Vale too. PM if you are willing
Old Jun 10th 2013, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

Redgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to allRedgal is a name known to all

Thank you all for your very kind and positive comments.
There are of course regrets - we really wanted to make it work in Canada, but even though it didn't work for us, we have built some fantastic memories which won't leave us.
We took a 40 foot container out with us, and intended to bring a 20 foot container back. But, the cost of the 20 foot from the Canadian side is even more than the 40 foot cost us 2 years ago from the UK side.
So, we have decided to bring only the things we can't bear to leave behind - my father's piano, my mother's grandfather clock, a pine welsh dresser and bookshelf which were wedding presents, some oil paintings that my mum gave us.
Plus clothes, toys and personal belongings.
We are hoping that this will be about half of a shared 20 foot container, and that this will cut our costs a lot.
My daughter and I actually spent most of yesterday at Ikea (and Wilkinsons, and various other cheap shops) pricing up everything from scissors and graters to plates, mugs and cutlery, dining table and chairs, table mats, sofas, beds, duvets, pillows and wardrobes - and, although I haven't dared to add the whole lot up yet I am still sure that it will be around a quarter of the cost to bring even the 20 foot container we had planned.
It actually feels really good contemplating starting completely fresh - new us, new start.
Feeling positive
We are also planning to take as a little as possible too. I'm finding it easier said than done! Good for you that you narrowed it down so well! I think most of our boxes will be the kids toys, lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.