Three Months Back

Old Jun 14th 2008, 1:04 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Three Months Back

Well well. Here I am again, still a Silly Sod but now a Silly Sod back in The World!!!! He he he. Britain has changed since I headed out to the colonies in 2006. I didn't think it could have in such a short space of time but it has.

Firstly - work. It has become harder to find. I have been struggling since I got back. Of course we have had an influx of migrant workers and this has led to the jobs market becoming much more competitive. Non the less I have found a job working that starts at 14.5k a year rising to 18k after a while.

I am getting my CSCS card next week though and am looking forward to working in the construction industry - a bug I got while in the US. I bloody well love working outdoors and getting covered in shit all day ha ha. It must be the kid in me, I was always a mucky pup.

Mrs Sod finally joined me a month ago after some ups and dows in our marriage that is non of your bleedin business mate!!!! But we are doing good now though and I guess a few ups and downs are par for the course. I dont think either of us were prepared to let this lovely thing go after criss crossing the world for each other. So, anything worth having takes some working at. Basically we are happy. We will be happier when begin my new job and we get our own place of course.

We are staying with friends right now who are wonderful but we are excited about getting our own gaff. Planning to move up to Rossendale where property is still remarkably cheap to rent (around bacup, Stacksteads, Waterfoot etc) and the countryside is beautiful. I see myself striding the bleak moorland, cane in hand a pair of Patterdales bounding around me. Then again I might just stay in and watch a bit of telly. Who knows

As for ole blighty though - for those returning be prepared for a few things. Firstly all that 'reverse culture shock' bollox is actually true. Even after a short time away. When I got back I couldn't bare to walk around Salford Precinct. The crowds, the dirt, the poundshops everywhere and the blue toe'd babies in buggies covered in the pastry of Geggs pasties for their main meal. Not to mention the 60 year old Glasgwegian woman loudly planning to get a tattoo on her tit for her holidays while queing up in Woolies. That was kind of disturbing. I am used to it again now of course but at first it was daunting.

Then there was the shock of hearing tracky'd, trainer'd, baseball capped and fat gold chain wearing wannabe gansters swearing loudly in the pub. I had never noticed before how much we swear overhere and how ****IN LOUD MATE!!!! Again, I am used to it now.

One thing that I found very disappointing was the fact that nobody seemed very interested in my life changing running off to america experience. People would say - so, what's america like? And I would say - it's okay but........and they would go - Nice one, lemme get another beer, catch ya laters yeah? Tossers lol. I thought I would be dining out on my adventures for years. In fact quite a few people from 'our estate' have come up to me and said - so, when you off to america? Or aren't you bothering now? Nice to know you've been missed innit

So, there is the story so far for anybody who gives a monkeys. Do I miss america? Not really, not yet at least. Maybe I will one day but right now it seems like a barely remembered dream. One thing I am certain of is that I will never, ever, miss Chicago!!! Too big, too hot in summer, too cold in winter and too full of people trying to scam you for a buck!!! No thank you

Well, hi all and bye for now.

The Sodmeister!!!
Old Jun 14th 2008, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three Months Back

Good to see you back on BE Silly Sod I'll be back "home" in four weeks time so it's good to hear your experiences and I know what you mean about the swearing, I'll have to be prepared to explain a few new words to my little boy
Old Jun 14th 2008, 1:46 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Good to see you back on BE Silly Sod I'll be back "home" in four weeks time so it's good to hear your experiences and I know what you mean about the swearing, I'll have to be prepared to explain a few new words to my little boy
I realised how americans don't swear just for the sake of it when I got back. Not even in bars. Polite bastards the lot of em
Old Jun 14th 2008, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to see your back and settling in well
Old Jun 14th 2008, 1:54 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to hear from you the avatar needs to be updated lol
Old Jun 14th 2008, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold

sounds like the England that I have fond memories off.

Glad that you are happy to be home
Old Jun 14th 2008, 2:14 pm
Bugger Off!

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Nice to hear from you the avatar needs to be updated lol
Now that I am back, and life is again at a turning point, I may just think about a whole new avatar. Life's about embracing change. I'll do it when I can be arsed

Last edited by Silly Sod; Jun 14th 2008 at 2:33 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Now that I am back, and life is again at a turning point, I may just think about a whole new avatar. Lifes about embarcing change. I'll do it when I can be arsed
Was pleased to read your thread worts & all best of luck to you & yours honey
Old Jun 14th 2008, 2:31 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Then there was the shock of hearing tracky'd, trainer'd, baseball capped and fat gold chain wearing wannabe gansters swearing loudly in the pub. I had never noticed before how much we swear overhere and how ****IN LOUD MATE!!!! Again, I am used to it now..!
The difference is funny, isn't it? I don't swear a lot but I'm not at all offended by swearing unless it's focussed and hateful. But if I let it slip when I'm with Americans they're shocked -- mostly that I said that. Someone actually said to me, "I can't believe you said that in that lovely accent!"

They really do seem to think that the English are ever so genteel in their speech. LOL!!!!!!!

Bev
Old Jun 14th 2008, 2:35 pm
Bugger Off!

Originally Posted by britvic
Was pleased to read your thread worts & all best of luck to you & yours honey
Thank you again. It is good to be posting again, though I wont be so much as I was in the US as I have a lot to do in the coming months. Perhaps when we are settled I willbe more prolific. It is nice to know I am welcomed back though - so have some hugs!!!
Old Jun 14th 2008, 2:38 pm
Bugger Off!

Originally Posted by Bevm
The difference is funny, isn't it? I don't swear a lot but I'm not at all offended by swearing unless it's focussed and hateful. But if I let it slip when I'm with Americans they're shocked -- mostly that I said that. Someone actually said to me, "I can't believe you said that in that lovely accent!"

They really do seem to think that the English are ever so genteel in their speech. LOL!!!!!!!

Bev
Have you read the forum rules? You are not allowed an opinion here until you have been a member for three months, have over a hundred posts and have been flamed to death by Lionheart he he.

You are right though
Old Jun 14th 2008, 4:13 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

glad to hear you are doing well silly sod- we miss you in the trailer park!
Old Jun 14th 2008, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear that you have settled back SS! Hope all the job stuff works out well for you.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 10:17 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

As for ole blighty though - for those returning be prepared for a few things. Firstly all that 'reverse culture shock' bollox is actually true. Even after a short time away. When I got back I couldn't bare to walk around Salford Precinct. The crowds, the dirt, the poundshops everywhere and the blue toe'd babies in buggies covered in the pastry of Geggs pasties for their main meal. Not to mention the 60 year old Glasgwegian woman loudly planning to get a tattoo on her tit for her holidays while queing up in Woolies. That was kind of disturbing. I am used to it again now of course but at first it was daunting.

Now thats the Salford Precinct we all know and love.. (unfortunately)

Do the girls still have corned beef legs...?

what shop took over the old M&S space?

Is the chippy still at the front (near the market) ?

Sorry for the questions luv but its been about 18 months since I last walked those streets..so if you could take some photos and post them, that'll be lovely..

Great to see you back though (we've missed you) and lovely to know your still a Silly Sod

take care
Old Jun 15th 2008, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

Have you read the forum rules? You are not allowed an opinion here until you have been a member for three months, have over a hundred posts and have been flamed to death by Lionheart he he.

You are right though
ooooh, excellent!
I've been a member since March
I have over a hundred posts
and was flamed by Lionheart for expressing a preference for Arbys Roast Beef sarnies.

hooray! I can express an opinion now!

Last edited by geeandtee; Jun 15th 2008 at 12:56 am. Reason: drank my first margarita of the day too quickly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.