Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Thinking about moving back

Thinking about moving back

Old Apr 16th 2018, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

chasingsun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thinking about moving back

Can any of you answer this question. If my Mums father is Canadian and she was adopted (end of war baby). Can I get my citizenship that way. SHe has never got her citizenship as she had no interest in finding her father. I can get her adoption papers and original birth certificate to prove it..
Old Apr 16th 2018, 1:59 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chasingsun
Can any of you answer this question. If my Mums father is Canadian and she was adopted (end of war baby). Can I get my citizenship that way. SHe has never got her citizenship as she had no interest in finding her father. I can get her adoption papers and original birth certificate to prove it..
You'll likely need your Canadian grandfather's birth certificate as well which would be more tricky. Was your Canadian grandfather serving in the Canadian military at the time your mother was born?
Old Apr 16th 2018, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Yes he was, He was based in Derbyshire.. I have zero details but canget them. All I know so far is that he was a Canadian in the forces. War was over but he was still based there
Old Apr 16th 2018, 2:56 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Yes he was, He was based in Derbyshire.. I have zero details but canget them. All I know so far is that he was a Canadian in the forces. War was over but he was still based there
In that case order your mother's birth certificate and take it from there. If her parents were unmarried then he may not appear on the birth certificate.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

He is listed, She did get her birth certificate and she looked at it and out it on the table and our dog ate it.. She took that as fate and never got a copy again.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

So it appears the irish ancestry is not relevant to him.. Years of being told one thing just proved untrue.

SP is a family visa a option for us. We all want to go together so we can get the kids settled and I can start work and then he can apply for work once he is able. Or should he go on a visitor visa and then apply for family visa once there..

I remember the turmoil of going through this when I came to Canada and ma dreading going through it again.

As where we live is out the way here , there will be no were to live once our house is sold and all our belongings sold.. Alternativly can he apply for a job here and then get a visa that way.

And does anyone have experience of kids schools, Mine would both skip a year from here to there, so They will go to Year 3 and Year 4, skipping grade 2 and grade 3. That worries me in regards of where they are at education wise. Or not a issue at this age.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 9:25 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

So it appears the irish ancestry is not relevant to him.. Years of being told one thing just proved untrue.

SP is a family visa a option for us. We all want to go together so we can get the kids settled and I can start work and then he can apply for work once he is able. Or should he go on a visitor visa and then apply for family visa once there..

I remember the turmoil of going through this when I came to Canada and ma dreading going through it again.

As where we live is out the way here , there will be no were to live once our house is sold and all our belongings sold.. Alternativly can he apply for a job here and then get a visa that way.

And does anyone have experience of kids schools, Mine would both skip a year from here to there, so They will go to Year 3 and Year 4, skipping grade 2 and grade 3. That worries me in regards of where they are at education wise. Or not a issue at this age.
Hi. Sorry the Irish connection didn't work out. Your partner must apply for a spouse visa (family of a settled person visa as your spouse/partner) from Canada, he can't do it from the UK. As you're not married you'll need to provide evidence that you've lived together for at least two years, in addition to meeting accommodation, character and financial requirements.

You as the Brit citizen need to sponsor his application, his employment income doesn't count. There are various ways of meeting the financial requirement, through income, savings or a combination of both. Have a read of this link and do come back with questions https://assets.publishing.service.go...ment_Final.pdf

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Apr 17th 2018 at 9:34 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Awesome thank you.. Weve lived together for 14 years and owned this house for 2 years and our old house for 8 years so no problems there. We have some saving about $60000 but its all tied in to GIC and RESPS.And whatever we make from the house sale. Which after paying everything off will be around $40000.

My mum is covering 6 months rent on a property for us there. I will plow through all this tomorrow and see where to go.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 11:36 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by yellowroom
But why would you pay 40euros from that site instead of 20euros from the Irish GRO website?

Oops. Wrong linky. Half the certs for twice the price.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 2:18 am

Getting married before lodging the application would make the paperwork a lot easier.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

I guess we could get married. Theres no reason not to apart from upsetting family in Canada. But hey were leaving anyway so I guess its no big deal...

If we were married could we apply from here and go together.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

prospect is an unknown quantity at this point

We've just moved from Australia with kids. Getting into school was tricky - but that will depend on your area etc. A UK teacher we met just before we left, felt compared with what she was seeing that our 3 would struggle but they have been fine ... admittedly we were lucky that they just moved up to the next year (so will only do half a year of Y1 rather than having to skip, which they would have had to do if they had been born 8 weeks earlier). They were doing very well previously and still are. I notice the biggest difference in the teaching of Maths but that is a 'weak' spot in the Australian curriculum (and also was in our previous school). Good luck!
Old Apr 18th 2018, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

My 2 will finish there current Grades in June. SO will start fresh in September. Both are well above there Grade Levels in Math. I think I worry to much.

Thanks for your input. I guess at 6 and 8 they are pretty adaptable.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 2:28 pm

I guess we could get married. Theres no reason not to apart from upsetting family in Canada. But hey were leaving anyway so I guess its no big deal...

If we were married could we apply from here and go together.
Getting married won't affect the financial requirements but it will mean you don't have provide at least two years worth of evidence demonstrating that you are in a genuine relationship.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

prospect is an unknown quantity at this point

Another overthinker here! Def. very adaptable although our eldest is struggling as she is now bored (being the oldest in her class). As you say you are doing it for different reasons and that will more than compensate for any possible school issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.