Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Thinking about moving back

Thinking about moving back

Old Apr 9th 2018, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

chasingsun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking about moving back

I am british citizen, 2 kids born in Canada with British passports and my partner is Canadian,

We got back 3 weeks ago from a trip home and TBH none of us are enjoying being back here.

My kids want to see there cousins, friends and family there and its constant tears about being so far away. There both young 6 and 8.

I am ready to just sell up and go and move back to my hometown Melton Mowbray near my mum who is sick and spend quality time with her.

What do we practically need to do regarding visas for husband, Do I need to pay Taxes for the whole time I have been away.

I already have a job lined up for when and if I do return, Family friend business. My husband is a Research Food Developer.

Any advice would be appreciated before I just get a plane and go... Homesick so badly.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 1:59 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about moving back

To confirm, you are married? Does your husband have any recent European ancestry, parents, grandparents or great-grandparents?
Old Apr 9th 2018, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Not Married... He does have Irish Grandparents on both sides..
Old Apr 9th 2018, 5:08 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

That's very helpful. Providing he has at least one grandparent born on the island of Ireland then your partner can register himself as an Irish citizen and obtain an Irish passport. He will then not be subject to UK immigration restrictions. His rights will also remain unaffected by Brexit.

https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/can...tside-ireland/
Old Apr 9th 2018, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chasingsun
I am british citizen, 2 kids born in Canada with British passports and my partner is Canadian,

What do we practically need to do regarding visas for husband, Do I need to pay Taxes for the whole time I have been away.
You may wish to look into paying voluntary National Insurance Contributions for the time that you were away in Canada. You can pay back up to 6 years' worth of voluntary NI contributions. Paying voluntary NI contributions help to fill in the gaps in your National Insurance record and you can receive a bigger UK state pension as a result.

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...-contributions

Before moving back to the UK, the OP should consider getting Canadian citizenship if not already done so. This means that the OP can move back to Canada easily if things in the UK don't work out.

Your husband can open an UK bank account in Canada before moving to the UK. HSBC offers this service in Canada -

https://www.hsbc.ca/1/2/personal/ban...ccount-opening
Old Apr 9th 2018, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

I was just looking at Citizenship today. Will get on that asap. We already have 2 joint bank accounts in UK, LLoyds TSB and HSBC.. SO we are good there and we have a few savings stashed away there for trips home.

I will for sure check out the NI contributions top up. Now I need to ask my MIL for grandparents birth details without raising suspicion of what we are doing.

Thanks for the tips. This may never happen but I want to get the ball rolling so we can do it if we don't settle back here soon.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chasingsun
I will for sure check out the NI contributions top up. Now I need to ask my MIL for grandparents birth details without raising suspicion of what we are doing.
Do you know enough to be able to order yourself a copy of their birth certificate ?

If not, could you work backwards from your in-laws details, or from marriage and/or death records? If registered in the UK, you can get them from here.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

I will check that out later and see I Know one is called Maisie Monkhouse and a distant Reltion of Bob Monkhouse...

That's abuot as much as I know and the rest are all Muldoons.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

I would feign an interest in genealogy, set up a basic account on ancestry.co.uk and/or findmypast.co.uk on a free trial and ask your in-laws what they know. Use ancestry to find the register details of any certificates you need (do not order through ancestry, they charge much more than doing it direct from the official websites).

Then obtain the birth certificates of your in-laws which will list the names of their mother and father (ie the grandparents).

To obtain the grandparents birth certificates, you will also need an age/year - unless they have a very unusual name that can be easily found on a search. You could get that from marriage records (easier to narrow down that search if you search around/just before the eldest child was born).
Old Apr 11th 2018, 6:52 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
I would feign an interest in genealogy, set up a basic account on ancestry.co.uk and/or findmypast.co.uk on a free trial and ask your in-laws what they know. Use ancestry to find the register details of any certificates you need (do not order through ancestry, they charge much more than doing it direct from the official websites).

Then obtain the birth certificates of your in-laws which will list the names of their mother and father (ie the grandparents).

To obtain the grandparents birth certificates, you will also need an age/year - unless they have a very unusual name that can be easily found on a search. You could get that from marriage records (easier to narrow down that search if you search around/just before the eldest child was born).
''

You can do a search on Ancestry to find them - Mothers and Fathers birth registration would be a good start. Alternatively you can use familysearch.org for this - the LDS free genealogy database. You can order birth death and marriage certificates directly through ancestry, irrespective of your relationship to the people in the certificate.

I'm very into family history and have an ancestry subscription so let me know if I could help you with this...
Old Apr 12th 2018, 8:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat056 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just recently been through getting an Irish passport. I had to supply (from memory) my grandfather's birth, marriage and death certificates, my father's birth, marriage and death certificates and my mother's death certificate along with my birth certificate. The list is online and included in the bundle that comes with the form for registering your birth in Ireland.
I don't consider myself unintelligent and my wife was a solicitor, but we both found the form confusing and some of the questions easily misunderstood. You have to fill in an online form and submit it, then fill out the paper version and post it along with the certificates. Just read both forms many times over before submitting them. Once the birth is registered you can apply for an Irish passport. The whole process took about 9 months from UK, though that did include a couple of weeks wasted due to my not sending a correct document for the passport application.
Good luck with it.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pretty Flowers
You can order birth death and marriage certificates directly through ancestry, irrespective of your relationship to the people in the certificate..
Ancestry charge £23 for a UK certificate, going directly to the GRO website (as per my previous post) costs £9.50.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 12:03 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Ancestry charge £23 for a UK certificate, going directly to the GRO website (as per my previous post) costs £9.50.
These will be Irish certs I believe. They cost a bit as I found out when I wanted my Mum's birth cert.

bmd.ie
Old Apr 13th 2018, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS
These will be Irish certs I believe. They cost a bit as I found out when I wanted my Mum's birth cert.

bmd.ie
But why would you pay 40euros from that site instead of 20euros from the Irish GRO website?
Old Apr 13th 2018, 10:22 am

But why would you pay 40euros from that site instead of 20euros from the Irish GRO website?
Indeed.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list.../certificates/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.