Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Is there anything to beware of when reurning from the Antipodes?

Is there anything to beware of when reurning from the Antipodes?

Old Jul 15th 2013, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

yozzernz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is there anything to beware of when reurning from the Antipodes?

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
They may up paying poll tax for you if you do
aah didn't think of that, Poll Tax??? That doesn't still exist does it? Isn't it called something else now? Is that paid per head rather than per household?
Old Jul 15th 2013, 2:10 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Poll tax hasnt existed for many years, you just pay rates like you do in Australia.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chris955
Poll tax hasnt existed for many years, you just pay rates like you do in Australia.
So me pretending to live with the wrinklies wouldn't cost them? Infact wouldn't it save them if they bring in this bedroom tax?
Old Jul 15th 2013, 2:31 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yozzernz
So me pretending to live with the wrinklies wouldn't cost them? Infact wouldn't it save them if they bring in this bedroom tax?
No it wont cost them a penny, as I say the Poll Tax hasnt been around for decades. Indeed it could save them money as you say.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

No it wont cost them a penny, as I say the Poll Tax hasnt been around for decades. Indeed it could save them money as you say.
Cheers for that Chris
Old Jul 15th 2013, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

ok its not called the poll tax anymore but if it appears that you are resident at an address where you are not then could the following be applicable ?

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/money-matter...l-tax-benefit/

I don't know shit about this stuff but wouldn't be fair on the old folks if they could get battered because you wanted to save a few bucks by pretending to be back early
Old Jul 15th 2013, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

ok its not called the poll tax anymore but if it appears that you are resident at an address where you are not then could the following be applicable ?

I don't know shit about this stuff but wouldn't be fair on the old folks if they could get battered because you wanted to save a few bucks by pretending to be back early
Hmm more to consider. The idea of getting history of being in the UK is because my kids would have to wait until we'd been back 3 years before they'd be able to apply for a student loan to go to uni, this way the next 18 months until we may potentially return could be counting towards that 3 years.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm more to consider. The idea of getting history of being in the UK is because my kids would have to wait until we'd been back 3 years before they'd be able to apply for a student loan to go to uni, this way the next 18 months until we may potentially return could be counting towards that 3 years.
It would only count if your children were residing in the UK.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rebs
It would only count if your children were residing in the UK.
Yeah that's true, I'm just thinking that re-establishing some kind of history in the UK could potentially prove helpful
Old Jul 15th 2013, 3:34 pm
Banned

You're a little ray of sunshine arent you.

It isnt that it isnt called the poll tax anymore, the poll tax doesnt exist and hasnt for many years. We now pay council rates just as we do in Australia.

Yozzernz, you will be absolutely fine, believe me the sky isnt falling.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

You're a little ray of sunshine arent you.

It isnt that it isnt called the poll tax anymore, the poll tax doesnt exist and hasnt for many years. We now pay council rates just as we do in Australia.

Yozzernz, you will be absolutely fine, believe me the sky isnt falling.

At the end of the day, don't you think that attempting to defraud the UK government is a little ropey ? Pretending you are in the UK when you're not to save on grown up school fees. Come on, if you move to oz to live the dream and you decide to come back because it isn't quite what you hoped; then you have to take a little bit of pain and responsibility.
I know its the nature of the country but Ozzies always want something for nothing.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

At the end of the day, don't you think that attempting to defraud the UK government is a little ropey ? Pretending you are in the UK when you're not to save on grown up school fees. Come on, if you move to oz to live the dream and you decide to come back because it isn't quite what you hoped; then you have to take a little bit of pain and responsibility.
I know its the nature of the country but Ozzies always want something for nothing.
Eh? Ozzies wanting something for nothing??????? I'm British born and bred, I've lived in Austraia for 2 years, prior to that lived in NZ for 8 years (during which time I became an NZ citizen) but prior to that lived in the UK for the other 35 years of my life - paying taxes for 15 years.

Defrauding the UK government?? I reckon it's an unfair rule that British citizens who have paid into the country for so long have to be back in the country for 3 years before their kids can apply for student loans, so is it really that bad to want to try and reduce this amount of time??? Personally I don't think so, I doubt it would work anyway but to come over with a high and mighty attitude towards this is a little OTT don't you think?
Old Jul 16th 2013, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Tawkintosh means well. He wished me a warm welcome to the UK (well I suppose a wet damp welcome, tbh).

Every part of me may be mildewed, but that really warmed my heart, particularly after 'livin the dream' an all.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
Tawkintosh means well. He wished me a warm welcome to the UK (well I suppose a wet damp welcome, tbh).

Every part of me may be mildewed, but that really warmed my heart, particularly after 'livin the dream' an all.
Our dreams been a bit of a nightmare to be honest
Old Jul 16th 2013, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Our dreams been a bit of a nightmare to be honest
Ditto...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.