Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Is there anything to beware of when reurning from the Antipodes?

Is there anything to beware of when reurning from the Antipodes?

Old Jul 10th 2013, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

yozzernz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is there anything to beware of when reurning from the Antipodes?

I've tried to find a thread on this as I'm sure there is, but haven't found one. So apologies if there is one already and can anyone redirect me to it if that's the case.

Having lived in New Zealand and Australia for the last 10 years (we are currently in Australia but New Zealand citizens) my family, and I are considering whether to return to New Zealand or back to the UK. The latter is our preferred option for sure. We were wondering if we did return to the UK are there any nasty surprises waiting for us, such as not being entitled to healthcare, not being eligible for family allowance, not being able to get credit, not being able to apply for student loans etc. Is there a database on here that lists all the potential hiccups for returning British citizens from NZ/Australia? I'm aware the countries have reciprocal agreements for some things but how far does it extend when you've been away for a decade.

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 10th 2013, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there anything to beware of when reurning from the Antipodes?

Overseas student fees until you have been resident for 3 yrs and that also means no loans for that time
Old Jul 10th 2013, 5:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno, haven't encountered that many problems after 3 decades away. I need to wear a hat more often in winter hand now have a nice range of knitted shawls (but that probably says more about the direction of my hobby than a real need for them). I guess if I had to pick a couple - car insurance was a bit of a hassle but if you get your UK driving licence and bring a letter stating your NCB you will probably be ok. Getting a bank account was a bit tricky for my DH until he got citizenship - I've always had a UK bank account so not a problem for me. Neither of us had problems registering with doctors. I believe it can be difficult to get a credit card In the first few months but haven't needed one thus far.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 6:12 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yozzernz
I've tried to find a thread on this as I'm sure there is, but haven't found one. So apologies if there is one already and can anyone redirect me to it if that's the case.

Having lived in New Zealand and Australia for the last 10 years (we are currently in Australia but New Zealand citizens) my family, and I are considering whether to return to New Zealand or back to the UK. The latter is our preferred option for sure. We were wondering if we did return to the UK are there any nasty surprises waiting for us, such as not being entitled to healthcare, not being eligible for family allowance, not being able to get credit, not being able to apply for student loans etc. Is there a database on here that lists all the potential hiccups for returning British citizens from NZ/Australia? I'm aware the countries have reciprocal agreements for some things but how far does it extend when you've been away for a decade.

Thanks in advance
No differeent to if you had been away for a year, you would get NHS from day 1 (assuming all family are British Citizens) and, while some benefits may mean a wait of a few months, some will not, best place is to look at the UK gov website, and perhaps ask them. You will need to build up a credit rating, but that can be done quite quickly, fist thing is to get onto the electoral roll where you will be living, this can be done at anytime of the year, you just ask them to send you the form. Bank accounts, you would have to ask the various banks, some are more accomodating than others, same with credit cards.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 9:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance
If you are returning to reside in the UK then NHS-wise you are entitled to treatment at once.

There are loads of threads on here about the individual benefits to which you might be entitled, scroll back through a few pages and you should find lots of info and links.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 9:46 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance
Yes we have many hundreds of poisonous snakes, spiders, nasty flying insects, big animals that jump across roads and run into your car., ohh hang on, that's Australia..
Old Jul 10th 2013, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Watch out for venomous Poms !
Old Jul 11th 2013, 6:46 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have to prove Habitual Residency before you can apply for benefits in the UK.

http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct...48705608,d.dGI

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jul 11th 2013 at 6:48 am.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you are returning to reside in the UK then NHS-wise you are entitled to treatment at once.

There are loads of threads on here about the individual benefits to which you might be entitled, scroll back through a few pages and you should find lots of info and links.
It says in first post that the OP is NZ Citizen so the above may not apply unless they have dual NZ/UK citizenship??
Returning UK citizens have to show that they are moving permanently to the UK with evidence such a school registration, overseas property disposed of (or actively for sale) etc etc. NHS is then available from the date of arrival.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 3:33 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by MikeJ
It says in first post that the OP is NZ Citizen so the above may not apply unless they have dual NZ/UK citizenship??
Returning UK citizens have to show that they are moving permanently to the UK with evidence such a school registration, overseas property disposed of (or actively for sale) etc etc. NHS is then available from the date of arrival.
Also mentions in the first post asks about problems for 'returning British Citizens', so I would assume they are BCs and returning 'home'
Old Jul 11th 2013, 3:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
The OP states they are looking for hiccups waiting for returning British citizens from NZ/Australia
UK citizens cannot be routinely asked for proof of schools or property sales, many of us have neither children nor property! The OP will just have to show they are moving back - residential address, electoral role etc. They are returning to live therefore are entitled to NHS treatment - hundreds of threads on it in here though, mine is only a very basic pointer. -
Old Jul 12th 2013, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Most NHS guidance is vague enough to be of little value, this one does not seem to be: http://www.manchester.nhs.uk/documen...flet-jan12.pdf

... (last page) The evidence we accept
You will need to provide evidence of identification
(List 1)
and
activity in the community
(List 2)
to register with a GP practice in Manchester. You will need one item from each list.
(two list of documents)
Old Jul 15th 2013, 3:51 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance
Are you all British citizens as well? I ask because I think HMG now bans British citizens from living in the UK if they have a non-EU spouse and cannot prove earnings of at least 18k. It's even more if you have children. I think this violates Articles 12 & 13 of the UN Declaration of Human Rights which states that a person shall not have interference in his family and shall be allowed to return to his country. I'm not sure however that the British Government give a crap about that.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

yozzernz is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for that everyone. My main concern is the situation with student loans as 2 of my kids would want to go to uni. I've visiting the UK in 2 weeks for a month so I may try and re-establish some links in the UK using my parents address so that it would appear I've moved back sooner
Old Jul 15th 2013, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for that everyone. My main concern is the situation with student loans as 2 of my kids would want to go to uni. I've visiting the UK in 2 weeks for a month so I may try and re-establish some links in the UK using my parents address so that it would appear I've moved back sooner
They may up paying poll tax for you if you do

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.