#TakeUsWithYouScotland

Old May 17th 2015, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute
Default #TakeUsWithYouScotland

In the light of recent political developments Scottish independence now seems to be more a matter of when (10 years?) rather than if.

And in the further light of the #TakeUsWithYouScotland petition (debated in the House of Commons at 100,000 signatures) folks undecided about where to move to within England might want to give consideration to which side of the line (Dee to Humber) they want to be. Sheffield North of the line and Stoke is South.
Old May 17th 2015, 2:44 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: #TakeUsWithYouScotland

Originally Posted by holly_1948
In the light of recent political developments Scottish independence now seems to be more a matter of when (10 years?) rather than if.

And in the further light of the #TakeUsWithYouScotland petition (debated in the House of Commons at 100,000 signatures) folks undecided about where to move to within England might want to give consideration to which side of the line (Dee to Humber) they want to be. Sheffield North of the line and Stoke is South.
why??
Old May 17th 2015, 2:46 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Is the SNP (Sturgeon) that stupid to even take the bait?

it will never happen for the reason the UK is one nation of Brits, Scots, Welsh, England & Northern Irish.

Look at the vote share in this last election - the SNP was less than 5% behind the UKIP 12%

http://www.bbc.com/news/election/2015/results

Why on earth after the NO vote referendum is this malarkey starting all over again - is it because Labour lost it all & now the 'north country working class (being sweet talked into) believing being part of Scotland will fix everything?

* North country should pledge their labour votes to the SNP* 'we'll show them'

There is a better chance of an EU referendum with a YES result than a love nest between a north south divide IMO

Although, with the UK out of the EU, do you think Scotland would want to go independent?

Last edited by not2old; May 17th 2015 at 3:03 pm. Reason: added more
Old May 17th 2015, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Scotland and the North of England could have a problem financing free everything #JustSayin'
Old May 17th 2015, 3:05 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Scotland and the North of England could have a problem financing free everything #JustSayin'
become a part of Scotland for free university is one
Old May 17th 2015, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
why??
Are you asking why the line is drawn there?
I don't know, I didn't draw it, I guess if you are going to draw a line it has to be somewhere.

Are you asking whether a person would want to be in the North or the South? Opinions surely vary on that and increasingly so.

A common question is "What's not to like about Scotland with it's free education for everyone and no Tories?".
And the answer is "Plenty! For those who like Conservative Party rule and all that goes with it".

You don't have to want to be part of the North to want the North to cede off and say goodbye. The petition needs 100,000 votes (getting close to halfway there) to assure a debate in Parliament on the issue. https://www.change.org/p/the-uk-gove...-join-scotland
Old May 17th 2015, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think that's unclear.

Right now they have to finance expensive British Foreign Affairs to implement policies that they largely don't agree with. For example NATO nuclear missiles and costly sanctions against the Russian Federation.

I'm not (necessarily) saying those policies are wrong. I'm saying the cost of implementing them falls on people who oppose them. And they are fed up with it.
Old May 17th 2015, 7:04 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's unclear.

Right now they have to finance expensive British Foreign Affairs to implement policies that they largely don't agree with. For example NATO nuclear missiles and costly sanctions against the Russian Federation.

I'm not (necessarily) saying those policies are wrong. I'm saying the cost of implementing them falls on people who oppose them. And they are fed up with it.
Taken to the logical extreme, every human being would be sovereign and not cede any powers to the parish, village, district, county, country or imperium. I suppose they'd need a wicked large room to house the General Assembly though.
Old May 17th 2015, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think that's unclear.
Originally Posted by robin1234
Taken to the logical extreme, every human being would be sovereign and not cede any powers to the parish, village, district, county, country or imperium. I suppose they'd need a wicked large room to house the General Assembly though.
But you see the point.

They don't site the Trident missiles near Windsor.
The don't have farming and manufacturing in London.
The damage caused by these Foreign Affairs policies is disproportionately borne by the people who oppose them but are treated as mere resources.
Old May 17th 2015, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

But you see the point.

The damage caused by these Foreign Affairs policies is disproportionately borne by the people who oppose them but are treated as mere resources.
I don't agree with breaking it all down like that, but obviously it's a strongly-held conviction that the South is somehow working against the North. No doubt the finances have been worked out, and perhaps each area will indeed be better off and happier. I am more concerned about leaving the EU. That would be a disaster.
Old May 17th 2015, 9:48 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

But you see the point.

I don't agree with any of this, apart from the location of Trident which was determined by geographical facts.

Of course there's manufacturing in London ... or there was until very recently. I've worked in factories in London. Manufacturing has evaporated in London in the same way it has in all British cities. There is agriculture in the outer London suburbs and nearby countryside, as with all major cities in Britain.

As for "damage caused by Foreign Affairs policies" not sure exactly what you mean, but why would it be "disproportionately borne" ?? People in London have diverse political opinions, just like people in Sheffield or Glasgow!
Old May 17th 2015, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't agree with any of this, apart from the location of Trident which was determined by geographical facts.

Of course there's manufacturing in London ... or there was until very recently. I've worked in factories in London. Manufacturing has evaporated in London in the same way it has in all British cities. There is agriculture in the outer London suburbs and nearby countryside, as with all major cities in Britain.

As for "damage caused by Foreign Affairs policies" not sure exactly what you mean, but why would it be "disproportionately borne" ?? People in London have diverse political opinions, just like people in Sheffield or Glasgow!
Yes, but they are seen as toffs.
Old May 17th 2015, 10:14 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Yes, but they are seen as toffs.
So definitely a self fulfilling prophecy! The more we Londoners are bemused by the sputtering & ire of the Scotch and other provincials, the more we are seen as toffs!!
Old May 17th 2015, 10:44 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Are you asking why the line is drawn there?
I don't know, I didn't draw it, I guess if you are going to draw a line it has to be somewhere.

Are you asking whether a person would want to be in the North or the South? Opinions surely vary on that and increasingly so.

A common question is "What's not to like about Scotland with it's free education for everyone and no Tories?".
if you are a 'North of the dividing line' lass, would you abdicate to Scotland just for the 'free education & no Tories'?

The electorate votes in this last election proves nothing

Even though the SNP won most all of the seats, the votes in Scotland were not all for the SNP

Elections in Scotland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by not2old; May 17th 2015 at 11:03 pm.
Old May 17th 2015, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So definitely a self fulfilling prophecy! The more we Londoners are bemused by the sputtering & ire of the Scotch and other provincials, the more we are seen as toffs!!
Nice turn of phrase as usual 😄

It's rather unfair as ordinary people in the north east , for example, can live much more cheaply than those in the south east.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.