Reload this Page >

Spring coming early again.

Spring coming early again.

Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:10 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spring coming early again.

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
But you dont know the true feelings or real reasons why people are coming home, so I'm just a touch confused as to why you are trying to tell them they are making a mistake.

As to the OP's first post, have you ever lived in OZ?

Do you have any idea how unbearably hot it can get out there?

Trust me, a bit of corrugated plastic will just make that 40 degree heat worse!

I'm not trying to be a forum nazi, its just that this forum is supposed to to a lifeline for people coming home, not a place where people are told the weather is shite..............if you have lived in lizard city for a few years, a little bit of inclement weather is a welcome change.
Oh, buy this man a pint
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

alliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to behold
Red face Re: Spring coming early again.

Bil.

I do understand where you are coming from, and you have some very good points to raise.

It's just that this forum is for people who are out here who (as in our case) are experiencing extreme difficulties and are desperate to get home - mostly to family. My dad is very ill and our dog died in quarantine. Is that enough ?

If we are making a mistake returning, that is our problem, and we will deal with it.

I wish you luck on your move to Spain, and hope you "live the dream". We wanted to "live the dream" too, but our lives have become shite, and I for one need this forum for support, not to be told how shit the UK is (I lived there for 38 years so I have a good idea).

No offence meant, but please think of others who are thousands of miles from home and need this forum for support.

A x

Last edited by alliekate; Feb 7th 2008 at 12:23 am.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:16 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Thought you lot would like to see a few more images.
Attached Thumbnails Spring coming early again.-sheep-fencing-047.jpg   Spring coming early again.-sheep-fencing-039.jpg   Spring coming early again.-p3010329.jpg  
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:17 am
Account Closed

Oh let's even it up and have some cold, winter scenes too shall we?
Attached Thumbnails Spring coming early again.-winter.jpg   Spring coming early again.-winter3.jpg   Spring coming early again.-winter2.jpg  
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:18 am
Account Closed

Thought you lot would like to see a few more images.

Stunning isn't it? I for one didn't really appreciate what was around me when I lived there. Too busy dreaming of warmer cliates/adventures/living the dream DOH!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

alliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: Spring coming early again.

Thanks so much for the pics

Yes the UK is beautiful, and I now appreciate what I have left behind (I did before I left tbh). Yes there are shit areas, but there are stunning areas too.

I will post some of my Lakes piccies on here to prove it - but I cannot post the friendliness of the people, the sense of humour, the love of family and close friends.

God, do I sound homesick ?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:02 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Stunning isn't it? I for one didn't really appreciate what was around me when I lived there. Too busy dreaming of warmer cliates/adventures/living the dream DOH!
Its what I have always said...........if you are leaving the UK/your homeland for a "better life" and are running away from negatives then the likely hood is that your new life is going to fail.

If you are leaving for an adventure, a life experience, then its going to generally be a good experience.

People need to be a little more honest with themselves as to why they make the decision, and what the experience was like for them.

Last edited by rugbymatt; Feb 7th 2008 at 1:20 am.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:07 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
It's Big Pete isn't it?
Do you know I was only thinking about him yesterday and the fact that he'd disappeared from BE - I think you maybe right - very similar style of writing if I remember correctly......and still as dull as ever!!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:15 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by pommybird
Do you know I was only thinking about him yesterday and the fact that he'd disappeared from BE - I think you maybe right - very similar style of writing if I remember correctly......and still as dull as ever!!
He is gone, not forgotten and spreading his shite elsewhere!

For the record, he is still as stupid as ever.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:18 am
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Jojosan, trust me sweety, were I able, I would go today. I am only stuck here because I am being screwed over by the government who has instituted their own Valencian landgrab.

kelbelinoz says i know it can be dull in uk.

Thank you, at least one person who can actually look at the UK without the tinted specs.

There are some excellent things about the UK, like the multiculturism and the ability to go to restaurants of a dozen nationalities within 12 miles of my front door.

However the way people can overlook how dull, grey and tedious this place can be never ceases to amaze me. What is it? Self delusion? I talk to a lot of people and I never cease to be amazed by how many people say 'You'll be bored' 'You'll be back' with such obvious relish. It's as tho they are so poisonously envious of you escaping that the bile chokes them.

Every now and then you do get someone who says the equivalent of 'Run, Forrest, run!' and wishes you well in your escape, but they are rara aves indeed.

Jojosan, I hope you are happy here. If you are tho, why the comments? Choked with bile are we??

Bil, where do you live because I can tell you that except for last year all the years I have been back from oz the summers have been warm and sunny and have stretched well into october, I reckon you live under a rock like a big fat moaning croaking toad, .
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:43 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

He is gone, not forgotten and spreading his shite elsewhere!

For the record, he is still as stupid as ever.
Ah right - do you know if he ever made it to Spain - got the impression there was a lot of talking about it but wondered if it was ever gonna happen.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:46 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by pommybird
Ah right - do you know if he ever made it to Spain - got the impression there was a lot of talking about it but wondered if it was ever gonna happen.
The house is bought, and I think he is out there now...........not sure when he is moving permanent like.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 2:03 am
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Jojosan, .

Jojosan, I hope you are happy here. If you are tho, why the comments? Choked with bile are we??

Bil you do realise the dismal picture and the fact that reciprocal medical treatment in Spain, like France will soon be withdrawn for many expats, and those living outside the U.K without having an address in the U.K, will also be unable to claim National Health Service medical treatment when returning to the U.K.
or many of these Brits who thought they had found their new promised land will not have the means or sufficient capital, even if they manage to sell their Spanish homes to return to the United Kingdom and purchase comparable properties to which they sold before leaving the U.K.

Will we see a reverse of past trends with Brits returning from the Costa's to the U.K and being forced to live with relatives and eventually become a burden on them? Some will not even be able to afford medical treatment or pay for the care in old age.
Will cost you a fortune for a family of 4

Last edited by Backhomeatlast; Feb 7th 2008 at 3:15 am.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:47 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, it's more of a suggestion. Did you go there with rose tinted specs? If so, be very careful that you don't come back with them on too.

I see posts from several people who have returned and been deeply sorry that they did.

I just feel that if there is one thing worse than going out and having to come back, it's coming back and then realising that you should have stayed.

Don't get me wrong, I am deeply sorry for people who have seen their dreams evaporate. I'm just trying to add a splash of reality.

alliekate, I'm really sorry for your problems. If all you want is to be told everything is perfect, fine. I was trying to add a note of reality. I do realise that that is never valued. I really hope you manage to sort stuff out. Losing your dog must have been terrible on top of everything else. At least you are bright enough to realise I am making some valid points, so with luck your return home will be successful.

Backhome, I pay attention to the weather, because people were always telling me I exaggerated. So, being quite anal, I kept records, and no, I do not exaggerate. Obviously I live in a hellhole of bad weather and you are getting all my good weather. Either that, or you are remembering only the nice days. Fat moaning toad? Nope, the weight loss programme I'm on is working wonders, and I am down to a small size Tshirt well within my BMI index.

Problems in Spain? Damn straight there are. Will they get worse? You bet! So, the intelligent person will make allowances for it, having health insurance, and seeing that their money will last, or getting a good enough job. Oh yes, learning the language and integrating. That helps too.

I would agree that there will always be the chance of something unexpected crawling out of the undergrowth and biting you on the bum, but if you have planned for everything predictable, at least you have done all you can.

You are posting nothing new. For years I have known that 70% of all movers, whether within the UK or away from it end up coming home.

What are the danger signs?

If you are very attached to your place of birth, football team etc etc.
If you are very patriotic, the pound is sacred etc etc.
If you have massive family ties.
If you are addicted to English food, and dislike anything foreign.
If you don't speak the language.
If you aren't interested in integrating.
If you have more English friends than foreign in that country.
If you have no guaranteed income to cover everything
If you are moving to an Englih Urb or its equivalent.

Every one of those will shove your risk of returning up, and the more apply to you the more each one increases the risk.

Now how many people bother to run a risk assessment on their move, either in or out of the country?

Emigrants are penalised because as soon as you have been 2 years away from the UK you lose all your National health entitlements, even if you have paid in for 40 years, and worse, you will have to go back to the UK and stay there for at least 6 months before you are considered for it again. Meanwhile, any immigrant from the otherside of the world who wasn't born there and contributes nothing is entitled to walk in and fill their boots.

That's probably another discussion tho.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 5:01 am
Banned

Originally Posted by bil

o.

NO.

NO

NO

NO

Aussie

Try intergrating with ossies

erm,

NO

NO

just think the UK is a great place to live after 2 years in Oz

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.