Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Spring coming early again.

Wikiposts

Spring coming early again.

Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

kelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Spring coming early again.

Originally Posted by Familytoaus
Although our kids are now pathalogical about closing the fly screen some of the little buggers still manage to get in (flies not kids). I have a can of fly spray in each hand, I'm like a modern day, fly killing, Billy the Kid. Quickest cans of fly spray in the west.....well Western Australia anyway.
I reckon we take the title for victoria then!! Little annoying ones seem to be disapperaing now......got replaced by the larger slower cousins, god they make a mess when you swat them!!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spring coming early again.

Originally Posted by bil

Mate, you slay me. Perfect? Well, if you are an arctic duck down here for the summer, maybe. The UK has a limp dick of a climate. No good for anything.

Do you know how you tell the seasons in the UK?

Grey skies, cold, wet and there are no leaves on the trees = winter

Grey skies, cold, wet and there are some leaves on the trees = spring

Grey skies, cold, wet and there are lotsa leaves on the trees = summer

Grey skies, cold, wet and there are brown leaves on the trees = autumn.

We get no reliable hot weather, and we just pray the summer falls on a weekend.

We get no cold weather worth a damn, see no snow, - it has been 15 years or more since we had enough snow here to make it worth your while to build a snowman.

The poetry of Autumn has changed to 'Season of muck and muddy awfulness.'

All year round I am in danger of tracking mud into the house when I come in from the garden. In Spain, the garden is sandy, and there are no carpets to worry about.

That's another thing I hate. Fitted fricking carpets, and cutting the grass.
What a load of bollocks

The UK winter climate is fantastic. It's not too cold. When the temperature rises to freezing in this part of Canada, the pavement cafe's start opening. Ten degrees is almost t shirt weather. Often it won't go above minus 20 in the middle of the day, and the snot freezes in your nose.

Your car engine never warms up, all the misting up on the window freezes giving you no visibility. The entrance to your house is a mixture of filthy water from the snow outside and salt stains. The car begins to rust from the inside as well as the outside because of all the salt soaking through the carpet, which usually starts to go mouldy by april because it's wet through.

Not only do chunks of Ice come flying of your roof,on a semi regular basis but it's so slippery you go arse over tit about 3 times a week. You have to spend $2000 on a set of tyres for your car so that you don't skid yourself into a ditch.

Then you have the big April thaw to look forward to, when your basement floods and you get to see beutiful brown grass and frozen dog turds from 5 months before.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil

Mate, you slay me. Perfect? Well, if you are an arctic duck down here for the summer, maybe. The UK has a limp dick of a climate. No good for anything.

Do you know how you tell the seasons in the UK?

Grey skies, cold, wet and there are no leaves on the trees = winter

Grey skies, cold, wet and there are some leaves on the trees = spring

Grey skies, cold, wet and there are lotsa leaves on the trees = summer

Grey skies, cold, wet and there are brown leaves on the trees = autumn.

We get no reliable hot weather, and we just pray the summer falls on a weekend.

We get no cold weather worth a damn, see no snow, - it has been 15 years or more since we had enough snow here to make it worth your while to build a snowman.

The poetry of Autumn has changed to 'Season of muck and muddy awfulness.'

All year round I am in danger of tracking mud into the house when I come in from the garden. In Spain, the garden is sandy, and there are no carpets to worry about.

That's another thing I hate. Fitted fricking carpets, and cutting the grass.

Not wanting to be too obvious - but why don't you bog off to Spain then and stop posting such negative posts on the MBTTUK forum!!! We don't want to hear it; we are from UK you know.

Go and bore someone else
Old Feb 6th 2008, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kelbelinoz
Was that after youd eaten the other half?!! LOL

You realise how much of a problem it is and not seasonal(nov and dec as some suggest!) when you see the fly spray has more shelf space in the supermarket than BEANS!!!! Only in Aus!! Cant wait to go to Sainsburys! And looking forward to wearing my clothes again......flip flops in every colour doesnt quite do it for me!! or should i say thongs?!
I refuse to use the word thongs! Its an american g-string for gods sake.

I also have two boys 5 and 9 and unless they are in the pool or on the beach they are indoors. They cant even go on the trampoline as its like a furnace in their with the netting around it. I also cant let them climb trees around here, too many bloody snakes and spiders!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

kelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Hmmm. Ah yes, grey skies, cold, wet, everything slimey. Algae grows on almost every surface possible.

Personally I think you are looking at the UK thru rose tinted whatsits.

It's lovely when the sun shines (part from the fact that that is pretty damn rare, and everything squishes.)

i know it can be dull in uk, but it is what it is......and I love it for it......maybe you viewing new life thru rose tinted glasses? I wore them for a while too......as most expats did....or we'd have never made the change.....it doesnt matter how many blue skies I see or beaches I walk on as I do most everyday......they cannot compensate the friends and family that I left to come here!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wink Re: Spring coming early again.

Originally Posted by alliekate
Try having to empty out every water container in the garden every other day cos of dengue mozzies breeding in them...........and algae in every fish pond cleaned out weekly .

I really DO understand the perspective/ excitment/ UK negativity of someone who is not out here, all I am saying is don't knock what you have now, cos it is a shock to the system out here.

Some people embrace it and love it (live the dream), others just don't and cannot cope. You have to experience both before you can make your mind up.

Axxx
I agree......been wondering today......is it called a dream because thats what it is? Because in my dream.....it worked and we loved it.....?

I'm sure when were all back home we will miss lots of things, like holiday blues....but I can always hop(almost!) over to Europe for a weekend......
Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

alliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to behold

We were trying to work this out today........

Having spent so much time travelling in Oz, it has been a real shock to find out how much we dislike living here (and yes, we probably picked the wrong place for us personally). And yet others "live the dream".

We had the dream too back in the UK , for five long years - but think that when you are in "holiday mode" it is completely different to "resident mode". There is no escape, not from the heat, the bad driving, the strange people, the crime (and yes it is just as bad here than in the UK - will not go into any detail, but if you read the Ozzie papers you will know what I am talking about).

It is really sad to admit that you were wrong - and to get back to the topic in hand, how much you miss the British seasons. Guess it's what we grew up with and what we know ?

A xx
Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:55 pm
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alliekate
We were trying to work this out today........

Having spent so much time travelling in Oz, it has been a real shock to find out how much we dislike living here (and yes, we probably picked the wrong place for us personally). And yet others "live the dream".

We had the dream too back in the UK , for five long years - but think that when you are in "holiday mode" it is completely different to "resident mode". There is no escape, not from the heat, the bad driving, the strange people, the crime (and yes it is just as bad here than in the UK - will not go into any detail, but if you read the Ozzie papers you will know what I am talking about).

It is really sad to admit that you were wrong - and to get back to the topic in hand, how much you miss the British seasons. Guess it's what we grew up with and what we know ?

A xx
Re the crime. There is a big fuss here at the moment about the Home Secretary saying that there are places you just shouldn't walk out in after dark. Well I certainly wouldn't walk out in parts of Brisbane after dark. How many brawls and beatings were there last year in Brisbane?
Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

alliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to behold

OMG, I could start a whole other thread on this........but I won't you'll be pleased to hear !!!

I had no idea that the basic understructure - police/child welfare/animal welfare are so stretched here - coming from the UK, it has been a terrible shock (hubbie was a cop and I was an RSPCA Inspector). All I can say is that I know the UK has huge problems, but up here, it is something else. And that's 60 million versus 20 million.

A lot of people can turn a blind eye to it, but when you are sensitive to it, it really gets to you. (Like the story of the 6 year olds who broke into a kindy to steal food from the fridge at 3 am - and the parents hadn't noticed they were missing.......... and the cops just returned them to their parents). I cried over that. These stories are in the paper every single day.

As I say, a whole other (and very contraversial) thread.

Still looking at my daffodil and smiling

A xx
Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:19 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
It's Big Pete isn't it?
I thought the same thing mate, but as yet he hasn't mentioned Real ale or Peters and Lee.....................

but I am watching
Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:31 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Jojosan, trust me sweety, were I able, I would go today. I am only stuck here because I am being screwed over by the government who has instituted their own Valencian landgrab.

kelbelinoz says i know it can be dull in uk.

Thank you, at least one person who can actually look at the UK without the tinted specs.

There are some excellent things about the UK, like the multiculturism and the ability to go to restaurants of a dozen nationalities within 12 miles of my front door.

However the way people can overlook how dull, grey and tedious this place can be never ceases to amaze me. What is it? Self delusion? I talk to a lot of people and I never cease to be amazed by how many people say 'You'll be bored' 'You'll be back' with such obvious relish. It's as tho they are so poisonously envious of you escaping that the bile chokes them.

Every now and then you do get someone who says the equivalent of 'Run, Forrest, run!' and wishes you well in your escape, but they are rara aves indeed.

Jojosan, I hope you are happy here. If you are tho, why the comments? Choked with bile are we??
Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:34 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Jojosan, trust me sweety, were I able, I would go today. I am only stuck here because I am being screwed over by the government who has instituted their own Valencian landgrab.

kelbelinoz says i know it can be dull in uk.

Thank you, at least one person who can actually look at the UK without the tinted specs.

There are some excellent things about the UK, like the multiculturism and the ability to go to restaurants of a dozen nationalities within 12 miles of my front door.

However the way people can overlook how dull, grey and tedious this place can be never ceases to amaze me. What is it? Self delusion? I talk to a lot of people and I never cease to be amazed by how many people say 'You'll be bored' 'You'll be back' with such obvious relish. It's as tho they are so poisonously envious of you escaping that the bile chokes them.

Every now and then you do get someone who says the equivalent of 'Run, Forrest, run!' and wishes you well in your escape, but they are rara aves indeed.

Jojosan, I hope you are happy here. If you are tho, why the comments? Choked with bile are we??
I hope you don't mind me asking bil, but if you are still in the UK, planning to move to Spain, why are you in this part of the forum trying to convince people that the UK is shite?
Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:40 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, didn't realise it was a restricted area.

I am doing my best to prevent ending up like so many expats, and coming home. So, I pay attention to why people come back. Maybe if more people did that, there would be fewer returning home with their tails between their legs.

Since so many make the excellent point that far too many don their rose tinted specs to view the emigration, I thought to provide balance by pointing out that those looking homeward longingly should bear in mind that rose tinteds are a bad thing there too.

OK?
Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:47 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by bil
Sorry, didn't realise it was a restricted area.

I am doing my best to prevent ending up like so many expats, and coming home. So, I pay attention to why people come back. Maybe if more people did that, there would be fewer returning home with their tails between their legs.

Since so many make the excellent point that far too many don their rose tinted specs to view the emigration, I thought to provide balance by pointing out that those looking homeward longingly should bear in mind that rose tinteds are a bad thing there too.

OK?
But you dont know the true feelings or real reasons why people are coming home, so I'm just a touch confused as to why you are trying to tell them they are making a mistake.

As to the OP's first post, have you ever lived in OZ?

Do you have any idea how unbearably hot it can get out there?

Trust me, a bit of corrugated plastic will just make that 40 degree heat worse!

I'm not trying to be a forum nazi, its just that this forum is supposed to to a lifeline for people coming home, not a place where people are told the weather is shite..............if you have lived in lizard city for a few years, a little bit of inclement weather is a welcome change.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:09 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Oooh look at me, posting springtime piccies of beautiful Blighty, taken through rose tinted lenses!!!

Enjoy xxx
Attached Thumbnails Spring coming early again.-spring-2.jpg   Spring coming early again.-spring-5.jpg   Spring coming early again.-spring.jpg  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.