Somewhere To Belong

Old Oct 27th 2008, 11:30 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Somewhere To Belong

For sometime now, both in England and here, I have been thinking about how to make new friends and sort of belong to something when i return to UK.

I do have a few issues in deciding, or indeed, finding something to suit me.

Here are my basic requirements

1. Must not be religious in anyway as I am agnostic

2. Not a place full of bitching gossips. As soon as all that sort of crap starts i am off like a shot.

3. Not a gaggle of domesticated women into knitting, cooking and housewifely duties bleughhh!!

4.Must be something to broaden my horizons,open my mind, and fulfil my need to connect with likeminded people. I cannot bare emotionally retarded people who are not in touch with who they are, or have any sense of empathy or compassion for others.

Right... thats the basics.

I know Faye will pop up now, as when I was in England I did briefly look at the Humanist Society, but I'm not that sure what they do!! Or if its really the right thing for me. I guess more research is required.
I think what I am looking for is something like a church community but without the religious connection.

Anyone else been thinking about how to get involved with new people?
Old Oct 27th 2008, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Somewhere To Belong

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
For sometime now, both in England and here, I have been thinking about how to make new friends and sort of belong to something when i return to UK.

I do have a few issues in deciding, or indeed, finding something to suit me.

Here are my basic requirements

1. Must not be religious in anyway as I am agnostic

2. Not a place full of bitching gossips. As soon as all that sort of crap starts i am off like a shot.

3. Not a gaggle of domesticated women into knitting, cooking and housewifely duties bleughhh!!

4.Must be something to broaden my horizons,open my mind, and fulfil my need to connect with likeminded people. I cannot bare emotionally retarded people who are not in touch with who they are, or have any sense of empathy or compassion for others.

Right... thats the basics.

I know Faye will pop up now, as when I was in England I did briefly look at the Humanist Society, but I'm not that sure what they do!! Or if its really the right thing for me. I guess more research is required.
I think what I am looking for is something like a church community but without the religious connection.

Anyone else been thinking about how to get involved with new people?
Haha, here I am! I only started reading about The Humanist Society yesterday. I'm studying World Religions this semester and I stumbled across it while doing an assignment on Jehovah's Witnesses (being a total non-believer in all religions myself). I have to say, it struck a chord but I need time to read it properly. http://www.humanism.org.uk/site/cms/

I've always found work to be a good way to meet people. Volunteering maybe? If you don't fancy Vinnies - how about a political party you feel connected to, or an environmental group? The Smith Family is a particularly worthwhile charity.

What about starting your own club up - have you checked out Meet Ups? They do loads of different groups in all places, people just set up their own on everything and anything - www.meetup.com

What about a fine dining club or learning a language, or alternatively a choir? These are all things I'd love to do if I had time. Choirs are particularly invigorating and uplifting ... and you don't even have to be able to sing well

Or, there's always good old book clubs!
Old Oct 27th 2008, 12:20 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Haha, here I am! I only started reading about The Humanist Society yesterday. I'm studying World Religions this semester and I stumbled across it while doing an assignment on Jehovah's Witnesses (being a total non-believer in all religions myself). I have to say, it struck a chord but I need time to read it properly. http://www.humanism.org.uk/site/cms/

I've always found work to be a good way to meet people. Volunteering maybe? If you don't fancy Vinnies - how about a political party you feel connected to, or an environmental group? The Smith Family is a particularly worthwhile charity.

What about starting your own club up - have you checked out Meet Ups? They do loads of different groups in all places, people just set up their own on everything and anything - www.meetup.com

What about a fine dining club or learning a language, or alternatively a choir? These are all things I'd love to do if I had time. Choirs are particularly invigorating and uplifting ... and you don't even have to be able to sing well

Or, there's always good old book clubs!
Yes i noticed it on your facebook, which made me smile as i looked them up months ago and you reminded me about it.

I dont think Vinnies or Smiths is in UK.

Funny you mention choirs as when i was in UK recently there was a show on every week called Choir Of the Year. Me and baby grandaughter loved it!! She would clap her hands and dance to it all and i did a bit of singing. I am quite good at singng if i say so myself!
Fine dining appeals (of course!!!) but not sure if i can afford it when we first get back!

Thanks Faye. You have given me stuff to think about.

I shall also look at meetup.com
Old Oct 27th 2008, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

I used to host Ann Summers parties in my spare time in the UK - something I am thinking about doing again, it was an absolute riot!

So if you wanna book one next year Flea, just let me know!
Old Oct 27th 2008, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by 3 go mad in Adelaide
I used to host Ann Summers parties in my spare time in the UK - something I am thinking about doing again, it was an absolute riot!

I have only been to 2 Ann Summers parties. I bought OH a pair of undies with a willy piece. He wouldn't wear them the meany
Old Oct 27th 2008, 12:35 pm
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by 3 go mad in Adelaide

I used to like going to them, but not sure i would want to do the selling.

I am researching starting my own little business once we are settled as thats what i am good at.
If i did something like that i would be flogging my own gear not doing t for someone else, but sweeing as everyone is doing that now, i am still trying to think up good ideas.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 12:36 pm
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I have only been to 2 Ann Summers parties. I bought OH a pair of undies with a willy piece. He wouldn't wear them the meany
Are you saying he needs an extension?
Old Oct 27th 2008, 12:38 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Are you saying he needs an extension?
That would be nice.

Seriously, i bought him these skimpy undies with a fishnet thing to put the willy in. I thought they were quite good, he obviously didn't.
Yes i did buy a dildo.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Celtic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of light

If you can put up with the kids I find scouts/guides a fun and interesting group to get involved with. The guides particularly in the UK have a whole social side just involving grown ups. And the very nature of the organisation means that most of them are caring people.

My scout troup are off to visit the firemen at the local firestation on Wednesday. Princess is very, very happy. Hubby is a bit concerned that I may not come back.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 12:45 pm
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by Celtic Princess
If you can put up with the kids I find scouts/guides a fun and interesting group to get involved with. The guides particularly in the UK have a whole social side just involving grown ups. And the very nature of the organisation means that most of them are caring people.

My scout troup are off to visit the firemen at the local firestation on Wednesday. Princess is very, very happy. Hubby is a bit concerned that I may not come back.
Good idea CP. Trouble is, I will be spending a lot of time with the grandchildren so i am really looking for something grown ups only away from the kids. One of my grandaughters is disabled and takes up a fair bit of time.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 12:45 pm
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
That would be nice.

Seriously, i bought him these skimpy undies with a fishnet thing to put the willy in. I thought they were quite good, he obviously didn't.
Yes i did buy a dildo.
Please just stop it!! You sent me a photo with him in it remember. Now i got all these mental pics
Old Oct 27th 2008, 12:47 pm
Account Closed

Please just stop it!! You sent me a photo with him in it remember. Now i got all these mental pics
Ok, i will play nice.

How about joining a choir
Old Oct 27th 2008, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Celtic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of light

Good idea CP. Trouble is, I will be spending a lot of time with the grandchildren so i am really looking for something grown ups only away from the kids. One of my grandaughters is disabled and takes up a fair bit of time.
In which case I can heartily recommend dance classes. I met lots of nice people and even met my husband there. A couple of times a year they had proper dinner and dance balls where I got to dress up like a proper princess and not a kiddie in sight. And I'm disabled but still managed to do it.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 1:12 pm
I don't give a damn

In which case I can heartily recommend dance classes. I met lots of nice people and even met my husband there. A couple of times a year they had proper dinner and dance balls where I got to dress up like a proper princess and not a kiddie in sight. And I'm disabled but still managed to do it.
Now theres an idea... I love dancing

Now all i have to do is convince a 6ft 4 hulky New Zealander with 2 left feet to run with it
Old Oct 27th 2008, 1:46 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

My neighbour wanted to get out of the house away from her kids and she goes to adult tap dance classses once a week, she really loves it and has made lots of new friends.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.