Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Shops-what do you miss the most?

Shops-what do you miss the most?

Old Jan 12th 2007, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shops-what do you miss the most?

Originally Posted by JoanMC
We still have super sales on the Isle of Wight - Tesco's, Morrison's, Somerfields, Curry's/Dixons - Matalan - Next - Dorothy Perkins, Clark's Shoes,,the list is endless..My Husband bought a kilo (2.2 pounds) of well marbled Brit' rump steak from Morrisons for £6. 50 something. I usually go for rib-eye or sirloin, but this rump cut like butter and was so'oh juicy, I don't know if that's cheap for Australia or NZ..We buy basics wholemeal sliced bread for 29p from Somerfields...One of my few pleasures is shopping around for clothes (my man for food),..from what I'm reading I don't know that I would be happy with less..mmm, really thinking about this..
These forums are great for getting a feel for a place without even visiting...
They certainly are Joan.
Its easy to get blown away with ohhhsss and ahhhhas when visiting a place anyway, thinking life will be as idylic as the pixs or the scenery.
I only like one brand of bread here, Quality Bakers, $3.74 a loaf!
Usually its on offer at 3 for $5 though, so my freezer gets full!
I have found shopping in NZ (food mainly) so expensive with little variety. I have gone off most things here now, should be a size 8!
Its an isolated place to live, we thought that we would be able to afford a few trips abroad, hols, days out etc, but its costly and expensive with the dollar not stretching too far!
Unlike the Uk/Europe, it doesn't have many places to visit either, everyone clusters round the cities, with not much in between tbh.
There are a few places to go with an hour/2 hours but you can only go so many times before getting bored with it.
NZ is probably a nice place to retire when you have seen the world IMO, as long as you have lots of money to afford the heating bills in winter! lol
Old Jan 12th 2007, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

We still have super sales on the Isle of Wight - Tesco's, Morrison's, Somerfields, Curry's/Dixons - Matalan - Next - Dorothy Perkins, Clark's Shoes,,the list is endless..My Husband bought a kilo (2.2 pounds) of well marbled Brit' rump steak from Morrisons for £6. 50 something. I usually go for rib-eye or sirloin, but this rump cut like butter and was so'oh juicy, I don't know if that's cheap for Australia or NZ..We buy basics wholemeal sliced bread for 29p from Somerfields...One of my few pleasures is shopping around for clothes (my man for food),..from what I'm reading I don't know that I would be happy with less..mmm, really thinking about this..
These forums are great for getting a feel for a place without even visiting...
Bread isn't cheap here. I have found that the Aussies put more hidden suger in their foods too,ie tins tomato.baked beans.meat isn't to bad here price wise Britain has higher food standards regarding many food stuffs.Are you thinking of living thee for here?
Old Jan 12th 2007, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

JoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Rascal
They certainly are Joan.
Its easy to get blown away with ohhhsss and ahhhhas when visiting a place anyway, thinking life will be as idylic as the pixs or the scenery.
I only like one brand of bread here, Quality Bakers, $3.74 a loaf!
Usually its on offer at 3 for $5 though, so my freezer gets full!
I have found shopping in NZ (food mainly) so expensive with little variety. I have gone off most things here now, should be a size 8!
Its an isolated place to live, we thought that we would be able to afford a few trips abroad, hols, days out etc, but its costly and expensive with the dollar not stretching too far!
Unlike the Uk/Europe, it doesn't have many places to visit either, everyone clusters round the cities, with not much in between tbh.
There are a few places to go with an hour/2 hours but you can only go so many times before getting bored with it.
NZ is probably a nice place to retire when you have seen the world IMO, as long as you have lots of money to afford the heating bills in winter! lol
We live in an energy efficient well insulated house with 7 hours of half price electricity a day (economy 7), that's when we do the Laundry and whack up the heat in winter !
I heard Northland is warm but don't know anything about nursing jobs there -
Old Jan 12th 2007, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

JoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by blowfly
Bread isn't cheap here. I have found that the Aussies put more hidden suger in their foods too,ie tins tomato.baked beans.meat isn't to bad here price wise Britain has higher food standards regarding many food stuffs.Are you thinking of living thee for here?

Well, having thoughts'''grass is always greener etc; but my husband says that while you are looking at someone elses grass there is someone looking enviously at yours!

We love to moan here but having lived in various countries before, I have yet to find anything to match our value for money on clothes and food..And the selection is good..
Old Jan 12th 2007, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Northland is warmer but wetter as a rule.
As for jobs up there?? Wouldn't think there's much there at all Joan.
Its scenic but isolated, long haul to supermarkets if you go right up North.
Few shops.
Not my scene at all.
You're right about the grass.lol
You're just like me, itchy feet, looking for that perfect somewhere, thinking it has to be xx??k miles away, when in truth, its right under our noses all we ever wanted.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Well, having thoughts'''grass is always greener etc; but my husband says that while you are looking at someone elses grass there is someone looking enviously at yours!

We love to moan here but having lived in various countries before, I have yet to find anything to match our value for money on clothes and food..And the selection is good..
It sounds like you have everything you want and if your content all the better.
Brilliant
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Tnis one is really shops/restaurants - what do you miss?

Vinegar for my chips! Chip shops rarely have it, and I love my chips drenched in ti. Anyhow, today The Bloke took me out for lunch nowhere pish, quite ordinary family-type place, chips and salad with everything. So the girl said to me "Can I get you any sauce?" and rambled off this list of chilli/tomato/bbq/brown/bbq again/mayonnaise/more bbq etc. "I just smiled and asked if they had any vinegar. She looked at me as if I'd sprouted three heads and turned green, muttered "eerrrrrrrrr I'll see if we have any" and ran
10 minutes later, I was served a BOWL of vinegar, on its own plate, about the size of a Japanese finger bowl! Trying to dribble it over the chips was a whole new game - thank god I like it strong!

I even asked The Bloke why they don't just have sachets - the cafe at work does now - and he said there would be no demand cos "Australian's don't like vinegar". Got news for him - there's a lot of Poms here, and a lot of us DO like it!
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:17 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Vinegar for my chips! Chip shops rarely have it, and I love my chips drenched in ti. Anyhow, today The Bloke took me out for lunch nowhere pish, quite ordinary family-type place, chips and salad with everything. So the girl said to me "Can I get you any sauce?" and rambled off this list of chilli/tomato/bbq/brown/bbq again/mayonnaise/more bbq etc. "I just smiled and asked if they had any vinegar. She looked at me as if I'd sprouted three heads and turned green, muttered "eerrrrrrrrr I'll see if we have any" and ran
10 minutes later, I was served a BOWL of vinegar, on its own plate, about the size of a Japanese finger bowl! Trying to dribble it over the chips was a whole new game - thank god I like it strong!

I even asked The Bloke why they don't just have sachets - the cafe at work does now - and he said there would be no demand cos "Australian's don't like vinegar". Got news for him - there's a lot of Poms here, and a lot of us DO like it!
Used to get that sort of stuff even in the UK.... being a Northern lad I like gravy on my chips.. when I moved to Bristol and asked for chips and gravy I got a very strange look !
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:19 am
Yorkshire Lass

meljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Used to get that sort of stuff even in the UK.... being a Northern lad I like gravy on my chips.. when I moved to Bristol and asked for chips and gravy I got a very strange look !
Chips and gravy mmmmmm chips and mushroom gravy from our local chinky mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't do the chips and gravy thing - my ex grew up in Blackpool and loved it, but I was always dubious.
I think the funniest bit with the vinegar was the way they ceremoniously brought me this dish of it!!
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:27 am
Yorkshire Lass

meljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond repute

We live in an energy efficient well insulated house with 7 hours of half price electricity a day (economy 7), that's when we do the Laundry and whack up the heat in winter !
I heard Northland is warm but don't know anything about nursing jobs there -
God your going to miss that insulation and cheap heating. We rent a house it's up for sale at $460,000 and you can see daylight through the floorboards :scared: it's weatherboard which the Aussies love but as far as I'm concerned it's just a well decorated shed. You get a lot more for your money regarding solid house with cavity wall insulation, double glazing and central heating in England, might not be as big and might have to share a wall with the neighbours but won't cost you a fortune in heating and cooling.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:28 am
Yorkshire Lass

I couldn't do the chips and gravy thing - my ex grew up in Blackpool and loved it, but I was always dubious.
I think the funniest bit with the vinegar was the way they ceremoniously brought me this dish of it!!
How about meat pie mushy peas and mint sauce, beats meat pie and tomato sauce any day of the week.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Sachet ! Probably thought you were talking about a new dance craze!
Considering its our National dish and the Australian background that is incredible,,maybe it's a deliberate slight on things British?.when Americans visit here they can't get enough of our trad F&Chips,No vinegar is almost as bad as a pub with no beer!,,,,BTW, do they drink "real ale" in Australia or is it that chemical stuff that my husband says pretends to be lager.....That would say it all...
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:59 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

being a northern bird I am exactly the same. We used to get chips, scraps and gravy. yummo.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:59 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

being a northern bird I am exactly the same. We used to get chips, scraps and gravy. yummo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.