Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Shops-what do you miss the most?

Shops-what do you miss the most?

Old Dec 31st 2006, 2:27 pm
Hanging by a thread

Location: England to Spain, Spain to England and back home for good
Sparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Shops-what do you miss the most?

Originally Posted by Dizzillusioned
Ditto - plus Tesco and the cheap tacky shops which just sell tinsel for a month.
Just made me giggle.......my son always wants to ask the assistant 'how much is this'......in 'Everythings a £1'!!!!! Even funnier, some stuff is in the sale for 50p......!

Sparkle
Old Dec 31st 2006, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Would it be any consolation to know that the 2 Tesco stores I was in last week had empty shelves just before Christmas?
Also that Next is selling the same old things that they have sold for ten years.
The sales are not very exciting at all - I've tried to get excited about them three times now but they just aren't that good!
Oh and it's pissing it down, AGAIN.
The grass is not greener here, although the mud might be browner and sloshier, I'll give you that.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Yeh and they are planning to colonise it..did you know? Me and Helen Clarke (and 4 million other kiwis) will vouch for you in your application if you like
I would lie low if I was you K-C.
Having exhausted every other country in her bid to bribe migrants to NZ (and failing miserably) I hear HC is now on the hunt for ex-kiwis!
She is trying to hunt them down and entice them back with...well you know...eeerrrr..lifestyle, cheap cost of living, good jobs and salary ..etc...
Hell, I would hate to think she tracked you down from the wonderful OZ and forced you back here!:scared:
Old Dec 31st 2006, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
Would it be any consolation to know that the 2 Tesco stores I was in last week had empty shelves just before Christmas?
Also that Next is selling the same old things that they have sold for ten years.
The sales are not very exciting at all - I've tried to get excited about them three times now but they just aren't that good!
Oh and it's pissing it down, AGAIN.
The grass is not greener here, although the mud might be browner and sloshier, I'll give you that.
Not really much consolation for me.
Shelves might not have been empty here but then again, the supermarkets are the size of a transit van.
Dont really shop at Next, prefer George clothes at Asda.
Its been p*ssing it down here to, and its summer.
The grass is green but we cant live off it.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rascal
Not really much consolation for me.
Shelves might not have been empty here but then again, the supermarkets are the size of a transit van.
Dont really shop at Next, prefer George clothes at Asda.
Its been p*ssing it down here to, and its summer.
The grass is green but we cant live off it.
I have to agree about the supermarkets.What is all that about? The aisles are tiny and the shelves are straight up like a warehouse thats ok as long as you can step back to see up the things. The check out is tiny and they really do have a thing about you being a thief before being a customer.It is an unpleasant experience.
Old Jan 1st 2007, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

BTW its still p*ssing down , high of 19 and low of 5. Summer.
Old Jan 1st 2007, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

JoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the rough

Crickey, all this Shop stuff is really making me re-consider my options about possible relocation...Grass is greener and all that,,we are blessed on the Isle of Wight with greenery and rolling countryside, not unlike postcard pictures of NZ, this together with all of the UK Supermarkets mentioned'',,maybe I should be looking at my own "Grass" (no pun intended lol)...Weather is mild today, a few Yachts sailing on the Solent no doubt with crew suffering from tremendous hangovers from the celebrations....I am currently slow cooking a lovely 3 kilo Topside of beef that cost me £7.00 from Somerfields...OK, we still have the politics and taxes but unlike some countries I have lived in we do see something for our money (maybe not as much as some),,Which end of the rope does one choose to be hung by?....Will probably shelve ideas's of moving until we can afford to maintain a bolthole in the UK, ..Have no reason to dislike my country or her achievements (not going to mention the other stuff!!)...My Husband says there is no substitute for a Brit' Pub....His local always features a hand drawn guest ale...Great for him, I stick to soft drinks....Back to the basting''''Happy New Year""
Old Jan 4th 2007, 7:55 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoanMC
Crickey, all this Shop stuff is really making me re-consider my options about possible relocation...Grass is greener and all that,,we are blessed on the Isle of Wight with greenery and rolling countryside, not unlike postcard pictures of NZ, this together with all of the UK Supermarkets mentioned'',,maybe I should be looking at my own "Grass" (no pun intended lol)...Weather is mild today, a few Yachts sailing on the Solent no doubt with crew suffering from tremendous hangovers from the celebrations....I am currently slow cooking a lovely 3 kilo Topside of beef that cost me £7.00 from Somerfields...OK, we still have the politics and taxes but unlike some countries I have lived in we do see something for our money (maybe not as much as some),,Which end of the rope does one choose to be hung by?....Will probably shelve ideas's of moving until we can afford to maintain a bolthole in the UK, ..Have no reason to dislike my country or her achievements (not going to mention the other stuff!!)...My Husband says there is no substitute for a Brit' Pub....His local always features a hand drawn guest ale...Great for him, I stick to soft drinks....Back to the basting''''Happy New Year""
If I had lived on the Isle of white, Jersey, Guernsey or anywhere on the south coast, there is no way on earth I would have come here. As for what shops I miss...most of them. I miss Maplin, Tesco, M&S, Boots and WH Smith. Oh and B&Q believe it or not. Not just for the shops but their ability to stock the shelves properly, keep a decent stock level, re-order items running short BEFORE they sell the last one, Better quality due to much more choice. Oh and I also miss the expanse, choice and convenience of the UK internet shopping where using the internet normally means getting it cheaper than the shops and not getting shafted on postage. Oh also ebay.co.uk and amazon.co.uk for the huge choice of bargains and once again not getting stiffed on postage.

Should just also add I also prefer that when I go shopping and go back to the car, not getting my butt skin burnt off due to the car turning into a microwave oven, or my legs providing a feast for the mozzie that lives in the footwell.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Here Here Arkon.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

snowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to allsnowgoose is a name known to all

I especially miss book shops - Waterstones - I used to sepnd hours wandering around the Manchester branch (ok, I know I'm sad!); Morrisons, BHS, Primark, Afflecks Palace in Mcr, Monsoon and Accessorize to name but a few.......
Old Jan 4th 2007, 8:51 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowgoose
I especially miss book shops - Waterstones - I used to sepnd hours wandering around the Manchester branch (ok, I know I'm sad!); Morrisons, BHS, Primark, Afflecks Palace in Mcr, Monsoon and Accessorize to name but a few.......
Yes the book shops too, I really miss waterstones and Borders. Although I did find a Borders in Hornsby and Canberra but it's a bit of a way to go for a browse.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

nonnynoo is just really nicenonnynoo is just really nicenonnynoo is just really nicenonnynoo is just really nicenonnynoo is just really nicenonnynoo is just really nicenonnynoo is just really nicenonnynoo is just really nice

Ohh I miss all the shops, especially topshop, primark and monsoon and next for the kids! plus Asda, so much more choice and deffinately better quality, cant wait to get home and have good spend up!
Old Jan 4th 2007, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by arkon
Yes the book shops too, I really miss waterstones and Borders. Although I did find a Borders in Hornsby and Canberra but it's a bit of a way to go for a browse.
I have to agree wholeheartedly about the book shops. I am a book freak and there really is nothing here, besides being more expensive.They have a Waterstones in Brisbane this is a 2 hours flight from where I live
Old Jan 6th 2007, 5:11 am
Normal Service Resumed

Skyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of light

Anyone interested in my new range of merchandise, based on the Ford/ Holden rivalry ?

"On the seventh day God created Tesco for idiots to shop in"

"I would rather pay full price in ASDA than get it discounted in Tesco"

The T-shirts are going quite well.....
Old Jan 6th 2007, 8:57 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by Skyblue67
Anyone interested in my new range of merchandise, based on the Ford/ Holden rivalry ?

"On the seventh day God created Tesco for idiots to shop in"

"I would rather pay full price in ASDA than get it discounted in Tesco"

The T-shirts are going quite well.....
I too would rather cut off my nose to spite my face. Seems a catching dieses you have there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.