Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Rose tinted specs or a reality check

Rose tinted specs or a reality check

Old Jun 19th 2008, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

LizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to all
Default Re: Rose tinted specs or a reality check

Originally Posted by Londonuck
I need a chill pill?! I couldnt be happier, im leaving again.

You really need to separate the term blacks btw.

Liza Jane... Here, UK. Everything means absolutely everything. We dont get the news here anymore we get predictions of cataclysmic proportions by experts every morning. TV about fat kids, thin kids, weird shaped kids, families on holiday designed not to get on so we can watch them fight.

Anyway this forum is for people wanting to return, they dont want to read about the state of the nation. It doesnt really matter how crap you say it is... when you're depressed and homesick and the highlight of your evening is watching an episode of Friends for the 4,000th time, sitting in a pub being served by a barely English speaking Polish immigrant must sound like heaven.
Enough to make you paranoid...however, for some of us, the need to return home does out weigh the crap going on. Thanks for claryifing.

Where are you off to?
Old Jun 19th 2008, 12:03 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=PLANTS;6482038]
Originally Posted by Dee_dee
Oh I agree with all everyone has said, and I really didn't mean to ''bash the immigrants'', just pointing out how much things have changed in as few words as possible lol...believe me I could have written a tome.

#Plants I'd like to think we can all say it as we see it, without being attacked, hopefully.

So do I, but unfortunately I have learnt my lesson from putting my complete views on here as you get attacked when you express them fully, so I keep some views to myself! As my Mum would have said Ïf you can't think of anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"!

In an ideal world wouldn't it be nice to say EXACTLY what was on our minds!

Plants
Whos being attacked? Just as you have the right to speak your mind i have the right to answer points made i feel are just stereotypes and prejudice. Im a son of Irish immigrants and ive had to listen to all this rubbish for years.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 12:12 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LizaJane
Enough to make you paranoid...however, for some of us, the need to return home does out weigh the crap going on. Thanks for claryifing.

Where are you off to?

I know, ive been there... and that was surrounded by some of the most beautiful countyside in the world in British Columbia. I once sat outside a pub in Darling Harbour, Sydney and listened as my fellow backpackers lamenting British rain and beer. We had a right chuckle about how mental homesickness makes you.

Outside Dublin for some rural life.

Hope you settle back in England and get happy. (Before you start missing you old life )

DD. Lets agree to disagree.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

Dee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really nice

DD. Lets agree to disagree.

Of course!!
Old Jun 20th 2008, 11:24 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

. Everything means absolutely everything. We dont get the news here anymore we get predictions of cataclysmic proportions by experts every morning. TV about fat kids, thin kids, weird shaped kids, families on holiday designed not to get on so we can watch them fight.
FWIW, I remember that from 30 years ago. It was striking how the "news" was all about what was going to happen, expected to happen, and mostly bad. "Today the Prime Minister is going to xxxx to do xxxx. Meanwhile, people in xxxchester are bracing for a possible epidemic if...."

Perhaps it's a national quirk.

Bev
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

All I can say about all this, is that having visited UK every year whilst living here, I am VERY well aware of the changes that have taken place.

I also read the international express here every so often, and it's always full of very depressing news. However I try to just glean whatever useful information I can from it and take it in the context of what it is, a very negative paper! I realise that doesn't mean that things are really as bad as the Express makes out!

Anyway I am going back to the UK with very realistic expectations. I will try to be careful where I move to and try to find a nice house in a nice area. From recent experiences in the UK I do know such places still exist, and there are lots of them!

There are also some horrible places I would certainly NOT want to live in, so I'll simply avoid them, and avoid the negative press as much as possible too.

At the end of the day, home is home is home, regardless if it's not perfect, and family is the most important thing in the world, regardless of how difficult it might be to live near them!
Old Jun 24th 2008, 8:15 am
Londonurse

marina is on a distinguished road

My personal experience tells me that you have to follow your gut feeling as well. I am an immigrant for the second time. Lived in UK for 13 years and was overall happy. The rising cost of living, negative press made me think there was a better place to raise kids in. And probably there are. However, after 7 months of depression in Beautiful British Columbia you analyse a lot of things and think again. I certainly now think it is a good experience but am considering going back as soon as time will allow. I am still young and it feels like I have already retired here. There are so many things that despite the spectacular views of the environment do not agree with me. Big dilemma for my family: hope we are able to sort it out with minimal emotional losses.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

johull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dee_dee
Oh dear, I don't think at any time I mentioned a specific race. I simply noted that one town which I visited had a huge population of immigrants (eastern europeans & blacks)...that was fact. I wasn't saying they had no right to be there, just that they were so many in such a short space of time that it came as a surprise. I at no point inferred they were troublemakers, I was trying to point out just how quickly that one little town had changed.

No you're absolutely correct I didn't speak fluent Spanish when I arrived, but then that's the reason no Spaniard would have employed me in a job where I would have to speak Spanish to the customers, makes sense to me.

Yes your post does sound aggressive..unnneccessary methinks, , and really I didn't see this as a ''moaning post'' simply an observation of mine, That's all, and a concern for people going back who may be in for a big surprise as to the changes in the UK

I hope you have a better life wherever you are, you sound like you need a big chill pill.
Here here!!!!! I came back to West Yorkshire and we have alot of problems here with migrants - alot cannot obtain work and it can be quite intimidating in teh city centres sometimes, groups of women asking for money when your walking alone. My son who is 13 comes to ice skating on an evening and it fills me with terror - silly things like him having a bit of change or a phone worth taking. It def wasnt like this in 2004 when we left!!!

There are lots of great things - dont get me wrong, summer nights, english pubs are the best, supermarkets are fab but we are going back to Oz.

I arent racist but I understand where you are coming from, it is difficult. My sister in law worked in a large hotel in the Midlands and alot of the ladies there work shifts around their families. Now almost full of Eastern European workers and no one speaks english - she said its quite lonely being at a job you have done for a while and not to be able to communicate with anyone - she said they make no effort to speak to her and she feels like leaving but cant afford to as it works around her families needs. It doesnt seem to be relevant to people entering to speak English.

Where we live seems to be a hotbed of all these nationalities who have no intention of integrating with others - asian families at war with other asian families and shootings and stabbings in the street - its terrifying - then there are the variuos EE communities - who the asians also hate.

Saying that, we have just taken on a Polish girl at work who is fantastic, studying to obtain her certificates in english language and written - she came as a temp and was so good we didnt want to lose her - the young english girls we got were mostly unenthusiastic and kept turning up late or ringing in sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think its each to their own, but I know where your coming from.

Good luck everyone in your decisions
Old Jun 26th 2008, 12:56 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by marina
My personal experience tells me that you have to follow your gut feeling as well. I am an immigrant for the second time. Lived in UK for 13 years and was overall happy. The rising cost of living, negative press made me think there was a better place to raise kids in. And probably there are. However, after 7 months of depression in Beautiful British Columbia you analyse a lot of things and think again. I certainly now think it is a good experience but am considering going back as soon as time will allow. I am still young and it feels like I have already retired here. There are so many things that despite the spectacular views of the environment do not agree with me. Big dilemma for my family: hope we are able to sort it out with minimal emotional losses.
Totally understand. When you think of Canada, its wide open spaces, more outdoorsey lifestyle, bigger houses and defined seasons.

Then you come here, and .................
the wide open spaces = reliance on locality as everything is so damn far away

More outdoorsey = dodging the mozzies, who slaughter our English bodies
= wrapping up like the Michelin man in winter.

Bigger houses = OK, yes, that is nice

Defined seasons = yup, winter and summer. Autumn and Spring barely occur here in Alberta.

It is all about how you feel and aspects of day to day lifestyle here will not sustain us long term. After 3 yrs we know that for sure, and we are going home with a new appreciation of all that the UK has to offer, warts and all

Last edited by R2D2; Jun 26th 2008 at 12:59 am.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

, she loves it here because it is isolated and left alone, not bothered by any evil forces, nothing happens here and thats what she likes...to me its like being kept in a glass box watching everything happen outside but be unable to join in, just watching time go by.
OOh that glass box image struck a raw nerve with me!

To be part of the bigger picture rather than locked away in some awful 70's timewarp.......
Don't you mean 1950s timewarp (school uniforms)? 1920s on the architecture and heating systems!

Maybe you mean all the chocolate brown interiors in cafes as 1970s...I suppose we should be grateful the accompanying orange is usually missing!

I'm enjoying it here but only meant to be here for x years, but have to say the 'isolation' is beginning to get to me a bit after 12 months...imagine being in the same country for a whole 12 months...never happened to me in the UK! Holiday to Oz soon though.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Pugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud of

Everyone who has experienced life elsewhere and still yearns for the UK, can at least go back with a full appreciation of the UK's good and bad points. As opposed to some people, ie. friends and family who've never moved anywhere, who say, ooohh it must be such an adventure, like a permanent holiday, the weather, blah, blah, blah! UK's so crap, etc. When actually it's not, the right areas have so much to offer. And I have a newfound appreication of our lovely area and it's great UK schooling and great accessible healthcare (especially as I have kids) for example.

The worst thing about the UK is the Media. The indoctrination of the tabloids. We're not allowed to be happy, prosperous, ambitious, hopeful, proud of our country. I for one am giving up on the UK news industry as I am all of those things and raise my kids the same way. I am even avoiding the UK news websites as I do not need to be fed the doom and gloom. I make my choices and are very happy with them. My advice, STAY AWAY FROM BRITISH MEDIA!
Old Jun 26th 2008, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

. My advice, STAY AWAY FROM BRITISH MEDIA![/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more but this applies to any country's media.
And ladies give up those women's magazines which try to make you dissatisfied with every aspect of your life at each turn of the page (you haven't bleached your teeth, pierced anything, bought a new handbag for ages, lost weight, worked out, changed your hairstyle, and your kids watch too much tv and will die of obesity before they reach adulthood).
Old Jun 27th 2008, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R2D2
Totally understand. When you think of Canada, its wide open spaces, more outdoorsey lifestyle, bigger houses and defined seasons.

Then you come here, and .................
the wide open spaces = reliance on locality as everything is so damn far away

More outdoorsey = dodging the mozzies, who slaughter our English bodies
= wrapping up like the Michelin man in winter.

Bigger houses = OK, yes, that is nice

Defined seasons = yup, winter and summer. Autumn and Spring barely occur here in Alberta.

It is all about how you feel and aspects of day to day lifestyle here will not sustain us long term. After 3 yrs we know that for sure, and we are going home with a new appreciation of all that the UK has to offer, warts and all
Yeah and all these people in the UK who moan about energy costs, have never had to have the heating on 24/7 for 6 months like we do in Canada, then running the air conditioner for 3 months.

Everyone who has come to visit me from the UK has gone on about how much cheaper petrol is in Canada, how great it is blah blah. They don't seem to take in the bit when I tell them you have to drive twice the distance to get anywhere.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johull
Here here!!!!! I came back to West Yorkshire and we have alot of problems here with migrants - alot cannot obtain work and it can be quite intimidating in teh city centres sometimes, groups of women asking for money when your walking alone. My son who is 13 comes to ice skating on an evening and it fills me with terror - silly things like him having a bit of change or a phone worth taking. It def wasnt like this in 2004 when we left!!!

There are lots of great things - dont get me wrong, summer nights, english pubs are the best, supermarkets are fab but we are going back to Oz.

I arent racist but I understand where you are coming from, it is difficult. My sister in law worked in a large hotel in the Midlands and alot of the ladies there work shifts around their families. Now almost full of Eastern European workers and no one speaks english - she said its quite lonely being at a job you have done for a while and not to be able to communicate with anyone - she said they make no effort to speak to her and she feels like leaving but cant afford to as it works around her families needs. It doesnt seem to be relevant to people entering to speak English.

Where we live seems to be a hotbed of all these nationalities who have no intention of integrating with others - asian families at war with other asian families and shootings and stabbings in the street - its terrifying - then there are the variuos EE communities - who the asians also hate.

Saying that, we have just taken on a Polish girl at work who is fantastic, studying to obtain her certificates in english language and written - she came as a temp and was so good we didnt want to lose her - the young english girls we got were mostly unenthusiastic and kept turning up late or ringing in sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think its each to their own, but I know where your coming from.

Good luck everyone in your decisions
The question that I'd like to ask is how much of this is based on what you have seen and how much is on what you have heard in the news?

How can you generalise like that, and say that asian families hate Eastern Europeans? Ok I don't live in your area but no one that I know personally in the UK and thats all my family and most of my friends, ever mentions these issues. I've been in the UK every 8 weeks and everyone seems to be getting along just fine.

That said the local newspaper in my part of North London is absolutely hysterical. There was a picture of some kid with a hood and a gun on the front page last week when I was there, it looked terrifying, until you read the headline still banging on about some shooting 3 years ago. I can understand why people feel more scared than they should, the media is very much to blame
Old Jun 27th 2008, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

johull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
The question that I'd like to ask is how much of this is based on what you have seen and how much is on what you have heard in the news?

How can you generalise like that, and say that asian families hate Eastern Europeans? Ok I don't live in your area but no one that I know personally in the UK and thats all my family and most of my friends, ever mentions these issues. I've been in the UK every 8 weeks and everyone seems to be getting along just fine.

That said the local newspaper in my part of North London is absolutely hysterical. There was a picture of some kid with a hood and a gun on the front page last week when I was there, it looked terrifying, until you read the headline still banging on about some shooting 3 years ago. I can understand why people feel more scared than they should, the media is very much to blame

This is based on the fact that I work in the centre of Bradford and a wide proportion of our staff are asian - they talk about the fights and the tension in their communites due to the influx of EE migrant workers moving into their close proximities. Alot of families here live in their own areas and like it or not s- some are no go areas to different nationalities. My asain friend went jogging in a local park with some other colleauges and was abused verbally by some young asian lads till they saw her face and asked what she was doing with these whites - she told them to sod off - she isnt the shy and retiring type - but this is an example of how it is up here.

I am certainly not a racist by any stretch of the imagination - I am just very scared of what a future here holds for my children. I dont see the point in moving down south or to another part of the UK where I dont know anyone. All my family are in West Yorkshire and the areas that are lovely are way out of my price range unfortunately. I have family in Oz which is why we went in the first place.

I agree the media create alot of problems here with the headlines - but I see the problems in Bradford every day with my own eyes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.