Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Rose tinted specs or a reality check

Rose tinted specs or a reality check

Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rose tinted specs or a reality check

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
True enough, only time will tell. Then again we've gone through numerous recessions and survived. Things have gone down the pan many times before, sometimes a lot worse and the optimism returned.

Unfortunately the whole world is exposed to this, the financial markets hurt the UK, but then again industry is dying in Canada because they do nearly 90% of trade with the USA, which isn't doing too well at the moment.
Sure I agree it's global. Not even the Australians get out of this. We're all affected by it.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Ozziedream has a brilliant futureOzziedream has a brilliant futureOzziedream has a brilliant futureOzziedream has a brilliant futureOzziedream has a brilliant futureOzziedream has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Rose tinted specs or a reality check

Originally Posted by backagen
All I can say about all this, is that having visited UK every year whilst living here, I am VERY well aware of the changes that have taken place.

I also read the international express here every so often, and it's always full of very depressing news. However I try to just glean whatever useful information I can from it and take it in the context of what it is, a very negative paper! I realise that doesn't mean that things are really as bad as the Express makes out!

Anyway I am going back to the UK with very realistic expectations. I will try to be careful where I move to and try to find a nice house in a nice area. From recent experiences in the UK I do know such places still exist, and there are lots of them!

There are also some horrible places I would certainly NOT want to live in, so I'll simply avoid them, and avoid the negative press as much as possible too.

At the end of the day, home is home is home, regardless if it's not perfect, and family is the most important thing in the world, regardless of how difficult it might be to live near them!
Hope this doesn't come across as personal criticism as never intended. But lucky you, having so much choice as to what house you get to live in and what area you choose to reside, and yes, even what country you get to live in!! Seems to me, just reading through posts that we sorta forget how much some of we 'westerners' already have in our little lives that are pretty big in comparison to many and more importantly, so many choices. Can I ask do you know who lives in those 'horrible places' in the UK? Wonder if they choose to live there?
England, Ireland, Canada, Hongkong, Australia. What an interesting and diverse lot we are! But totally agree with you 'home is home is home'. And its usually where the heart is (no apologies made for the cliche). S'all that matters in the bigger picture of things eh.
If Rupert Murdoch takes over one more newspaper we are all seriously at risk!!!! Don't read 'em! It could be fatal.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 2:45 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozziedream
Can I ask do you know who lives in those 'horrible places' in the UK? Wonder if they choose to live there?
Interesting question. I think far too few people even think of moving. Many years ago I worked in employment, and we'd have good jobs for people even just 50 miles away, but they didn't want to move.

Perhaps they were wise if they were respecting their roots, their friends and family connections as so many here do. But if the place they lived was unhealthy and crime-ridden, I'd hope they'd go anyway, but I bet many wouldn't.

But town planners have a lot to answer for, don't they? Most of my relatives lived in two-up, two-downs in Bolton, but they were pretty happy overall. They were knocked down for "better" housing that destroyed communities in so many ways.

Bev
Old Aug 9th 2008, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dee_dee
Having read everyone who's homesick for the UK's posts, and all the things everyone remembers with affection, my question is it like that in reality?

For instance lots of people seem to remember the UK more in an Enid Blyton halcyon days type of way than the reality that it can be in certain parts of Blighty.

My home in Herts is a very nice place, a little market town that's changed very little over the past 30 years and as close to English perfect as you can get,..... but the changes that have taken place seem to have been rapid within the last 3 years. The influx of Eastern Europeans, the petty rules and regs of the local council, eg; people being fined for leaving the lid half closed on their wheelie bins, the sheer volume of traffic and taking an hour to drive 15 miles to work...lots more examples but you get the picture I'm sure

Now those small examples are a pain in the butt in a small country town, (and I've not mentioned the cost of council tax et al) but liveable...however, not everyone who emigrated from the UK lived in a small country town, most probably the biggest majority left large cosmopolitan towns & cities with all it's problems.

In all likelihood those problems that had many leave their home of birth, are not only still there , but very likely even more pronounced.

I'll give you a small example, now don't get me wrong, I'm not prejudiced against immigrants at all, after all I am one here in Spain, but I paid a visit to Borehamwood in Herts 3 months ago, a small town on the edge of North London which was always pretty laid back and very English. I walked around the town and the only English I heard was being spoken by the shop assistants. Everyone, was Eastern European or Black.

Another example, which I have to admit really annoyed me was when I went into Asda in Harlow Essex. I asked an assistant where the mustard was , she beckoned me to follow her and pointed to the rice pudding. After repeating my request and seeing the confused look on her face I realised she couldn't speak English. I was shocked that someone should be employed dealing with the public who couldn't speak English and I complained to the line manager who apologised in an embarrassed kind of way.

I am luckier than many migrants in that I still have a house in the UK, so I am able to go back and forth regularly, probably 3 times a year , and even in those short periods I can see big changes.

I love the UK, but there's a heckava lot that's unbearable, which is why I came to Spain.

My concern is that so many of you who are in the process of moving back, may still be holding onto that Enid Blyton halcyon memory, and although initially it may seem so when you return, while you picnic in the green green grass, and have sunday lunch in the pub garden, the reality is very different in many many parts of the UK.

So what's your views peeps?

I do not think these problems are peculiar to the UK. The town where I live in Canada has "Garbage Police" who will actually go through your garbage to make sure you are recycling. It doesn't get much more of a tax payer's waste of money than that.

Last edited by johnh009; Aug 9th 2008 at 3:24 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Back in Scotland after two dreadful years in Brisbane.
maka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by johull
Here here!!!!! I came back to West Yorkshire and we have alot of problems here with migrants - alot cannot obtain work and it can be quite intimidating in teh city centres sometimes, groups of women asking for money when your walking alone. My son who is 13 comes to ice skating on an evening and it fills me with terror - silly things like him having a bit of change or a phone worth taking. It def wasnt like this in 2004 when we left!!!

There are lots of great things - dont get me wrong, summer nights, english pubs are the best, supermarkets are fab but we are going back to Oz.

HTML Code:
I arent racist
but I understand where you are coming from, it is difficult. My sister in law worked in a large hotel in the Midlands and alot of the ladies there work shifts around their families. Now almost full of Eastern European workers and
HTML Code:
no one speaks english
- she said its quite lonely being at a job you have done for a while and not to be able to communicate with anyone - she said they make no effort to speak to her and she feels like leaving but cant afford to as it works around her families needs. It doesnt seem to be relevant to people entering to speak English.

Where we live seems to be a hotbed of all these nationalities who have no intention of integrating with others - asian families at war with other asian families and shootings and stabbings in the street - its terrifying - then there are the variuos EE communities - who the asians also hate.

Saying that, we have just taken on a Polish girl at work who is fantastic, studying to obtain her certificates in english language and written - she came as a temp and was so good we didnt want to lose her - the young english girls we got were mostly unenthusiastic and kept turning up late or ringing in sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think its each to their own, but I know where your coming from.

Good luck everyone in your decisions
I take it these people are just as bad as you at speaking the Queens language then ??

Doofus!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

johull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to all

Originally Posted by maka paka
I take it these people are just as bad as you at speaking the Queens language then ??

Doofus!
Sorry for the incorrect spelling, I am often in a rush typing from work, I was unaware I was being tested.

If you can look carefully at what I have said, you will see that there are positives in the UK, lots of them, but there are also alot of issues, I see it day to day so can comment - you can't. I have eastern european friends and asian friends who also despair at the problems and who feel their children are just as vulnerable when they venture out at night - you cant keep teenagers locked up.

I am not a racist - perhaps stating the truth brands you one, as I mentioned in my orginal post, we had British girls who have temped here who were lazy and useless, its the individual.

You will see when you get back, just as I did when I left Australia, and quite a few others. It doesnt make it hell on earth, it is just very different to what I remember and it scares me.

So - Doofas - what ever that means - get a grip.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

maka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry for the incorrect spelling, I am often in a rush typing from work, I was unaware I was being tested.

If you can look carefully at what I have said, you will see that there are positives in the UK, lots of them, but there are also alot of issues, I see it day to day so can comment - you can't. I have eastern european friends and asian friends who also despair at the problems and who feel their children are just as vulnerable when they venture out at night - you cant keep teenagers locked up.

I am not a racist - perhaps stating the truth brands you one, as I mentioned in my orginal post, we had British girls who have temped here who were lazy and useless, its the individual.

You will see when you get back, just as I did when I left Australia, and quite a few others. It doesnt make it hell on earth, it is just very different to what I remember and it scares me.

So - Doofas - what ever that means - get a grip.
I've only been away 2 years and before I left I used to work with some Eastern Europeans,mainly Polish people,true they weren't great at English but we communicated enough to get bye.

The majority of them were devout Catholics,good workers,family orientated and very fair people.
None of the ones that I knew had a bad or nasty bone in their body.

I welcome them into Britain as they were better behaved than some of the local youngsters that hang around street corners drinking and causing trouble.
So if you are Scared of these immigrants then I'm afraid you may have Xenophobia,which is treatable I think at your local doctors,on the NHS of course which is only available in Britain I'm afraid.

Get well soon!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

johull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to all

I've only been away 2 years and before I left I used to work with some Eastern Europeans,mainly Polish people,true they weren't great at English but we communicated enough to get bye.

The majority of them were devout Catholics,good workers,family orientated and very fair people.
None of the ones that I knew had a bad or nasty bone in their body.

I welcome them into Britain as they were better behaved than some of the local youngsters that hang around street corners drinking and causing trouble.
So if you are Scared of these immigrants then I'm afraid you may have Xenophobia,which is treatable I think at your local doctors,on the NHS of course which is only available in Britain I'm afraid.

Get well soon!

As stated in original post (again) the problems are with the different asian gangs fighting each other. Our nearest ice rink is in Bradford which has massive problems. This is why I worry for my boys coming to the multi plex or skating rink with their friends at night. I work with a variety of nationalities and we all get along great, there are lots of lovely people in our area, more bad than good, but unfortunately there are alot of unpleasantness. We live between Skipton and Leeds - as said before, our nearest city is Bradford and its dreadful - even the poor people who live here are at their wits end - the majority of the gangs are asian lads and Romanians, we have a large population of Roma gypsies here and it is un-nerving, particularly when you are walking to your car at night as there have been a number of bag snatches and cash machine robberies, as well as attempting to get into peoples cars - I work for a a large company in Bradford with over 2000 employees and we had to have an email sent around as one of our members of staff had somebody try to get in her car. Its not an attack on Polish people at all, you seem to be mid-understanding me. I am aware that the Roma have problems settling and are treated very badly in their home counrty (we did a course at work to assist and understand their needs as they try to settle into the locality) but the crime rate is higher and people are aware of this and it makes people aware.

As I have said before, I have been back in the UK for almost 3 years, there are things I love and things I hate. I have just got back from a girls weekend in Liverpool where we had so much fun, lots of people having a great time, the capital of culture - was great. Came back Sunday afternoon and walked down to our local pub with the children for a roast dinner - we are lucky enough to live in a small village in the countryside with only 20 houses and a great community feel. I love where I live, but unfortunately my 2 oldest children, aged 17, 13 ( we also have a 6 year old) are bored with the village and want to go to the cinema, leisure centre and skating. This is where the problems are.

There is no need to be so rude - you sound a very negative person - so please - get well soon.

This thread is called rose coloured glasses or reality check and alot of people will find that things arent as cosy as they thought, I did and alot of others have also. Its sad but true.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

As stated in original post (again) the problems are with the different asian gangs fighting each other. Our nearest ice rink is in Bradford which has massive problems. This is why I worry for my boys coming to the multi plex or skating rink with their friends at night. I work with a variety of nationalities and we all get along great, there are lots of lovely people in our area, more bad than good, but unfortunately there are alot of unpleasantness. We live between Skipton and Leeds - as said before, our nearest city is Bradford and its dreadful - even the poor people who live here are at their wits end - the majority of the gangs are asian lads and Romanians, we have a large population of Roma gypsies here and it is un-nerving, particularly when you are walking to your car at night as there have been a number of bag snatches and cash machine robberies, as well as attempting to get into peoples cars - I work for a a large company in Bradford with over 2000 employees and we had to have an email sent around as one of our members of staff had somebody try to get in her car. Its not an attack on Polish people at all, you seem to be mid-understanding me. I am aware that the Roma have problems settling and are treated very badly in their home counrty (we did a course at work to assist and understand their needs as they try to settle into the locality) but the crime rate is higher and people are aware of this and it makes people aware.

As I have said before, I have been back in the UK for almost 3 years, there are things I love and things I hate. I have just got back from a girls weekend in Liverpool where we had so much fun, lots of people having a great time, the capital of culture - was great. Came back Sunday afternoon and walked down to our local pub with the children for a roast dinner - we are lucky enough to live in a small village in the countryside with only 20 houses and a great community feel. I love where I live, but unfortunately my 2 oldest children, aged 17, 13 ( we also have a 6 year old) are bored with the village and want to go to the cinema, leisure centre and skating. This is where the problems are.

There is no need to be so rude - you sound a very negative person - so please - get well soon.

This thread is called rose coloured glasses or reality check and alot of people will find that things arent as cosy as they thought, I did and alot of others have also. Its sad but true.

Apologies just in case I have made more spelling mistakes, I am on my coffee break and my Queens english might not be at its best as I rush to my next meeting!!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
I do not think these problems are peculiar to the UK. The town where I live in Canada has "Garbage Police" who will actually go through your garbage to make sure you are recycling. It doesn't get much more of a tax payer's waste of money than that.
That's absolutely rediculous. I have nothing against the encouragement of recycling, but to sort through your garbage like that (presumably to give you a fine if they find you're not recycling properly) if in my opinion a big infraction on your freedom and pretty unproductive. Plus it's a huge waste of taxpayers money as you say.

I think "Tax money police" would be a better idea. They should go through the politicians bins (and computers) to make sure they're not wasting our money, and if they are (which they are) then fine them!
Old Aug 10th 2008, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by backagen
That's absolutely rediculous. I have nothing against the encouragement of recycling, but to sort through your garbage like that (presumably to give you a fine if they find you're not recycling properly) if in my opinion a big infraction on your freedom and pretty unproductive. Plus it's a huge waste of taxpayers money as you say.

I think "Tax money police" would be a better idea. They should go through the politicians bins (and computers) to make sure they're not wasting our money, and if they are (which they are) then fine them!
I thought they had fines here in Aus for the same thing? If you didn't recycle. I could be wrong, but I'm sure I've heard this before in Qld.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Apologies just in case I have made more spelling mistakes, I am on my coffee break and my Queens english might not be at its best as I rush to my next meeting!!
Now Now,don't get upset.

I am well aware of the social problems we have in the UK
I understand that you may be anxious when your sons go out at night into places that are less desirable,I am a parent myself and I'm dreading the day my daughter wants to venture into the City or the town on her own or with teenage friends,but it really annoys me when people automatically assume if there is going to be any trouble then it will be the immigrants who will cause it.
There are just as many other local kids who are prone to bad behaviour.

I don't think labelling people is the answer to these social problems,we are all equal at the end of the day.

Bye the way it wasn't your spelling that was bad it was your vocabulary.

doo·fus Audio Help (dōō'fəs) Pronunciation Key
n. pl. doo·fus·es Slang
An incompetent, foolish, or stupid person.

Have a nice day.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 10:51 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Now Now,don't get upset.

I understand that you may be anxious when your sons go out at night into places that are less desirable,I am a parent myself and I'm dreading the day my daughter wants to venture into the City or the town on her own or with teenage friends,but it really annoys me when people automatically assume if there is going to be any trouble then it will be the immigrants who will cause it.

I don't think labelling people is the answer to these social problems,we are all equal at the end of the day.

n. pl. doo·fus·es Slang

Have a nice day.
I think you will find it was actually her grammar that wasn't great
Old Aug 10th 2008, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by northernbird
I think you will find it was actually her grammar that wasn't great
Northern Bird, surprised at you - no - I really am. The title of this thread says it all. In my case, no matter how many people told me things had changed, I ignored them and found they were right. It probably wouldn't have stopped me coming home, but at least I was prepared.

I am simply stating what happened in our case and with our sons - as in the original post, our first trip to the swimming baths and my son was attacked in the changing room. This was not a one off incident and the leisure centre has had to take measures to tackle this problem. Scary thing is the 'gang' are about 13 years old.

I rush to look on BE while I am on lunch or have a quiet moment, I dont always check my grammar and spelling (sadly) I think people can get the gyst of what I am saying, I think its quite sad to start name calling and being over picky. This has just been my experience of working in Bradford and the problems we have here on a day to day basis.

I certainly arent stupid.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

Now Now,don't get upset.

n. pl. doo·fus·es Slang

Have a nice day.
I dont label, its the way it is in this area - fact.

Queens english, grammer, now vocabulary - whatever - I think you get the point - do you???

Thanks for pointing out that I am an incompetent foolish and stupid person also, this reminds me of my teenage boys having a squabble!

I will have a lovely day thanks - just going out for lunch with friends then will return to my lovely little village tonight - thanks - could think of a numer of insults but its not my style.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.