Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Rose tinted specs or a reality check

Rose tinted specs or a reality check

Old Jun 26th 2008, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rose tinted specs or a reality check

All this talk of the miserable, moaning, whinging British news media has got me wondering, IS THERE a more positive alternative source of UK news?

I'm not looking for ALL the genuine bad news to be ignored, but I would love to be able to read / watch UK news that is genuinely balanced, objective and TRUE, with at least a sprinkling of nice, happy news each day!!! I must say, that is the way the news media operates here in Adelaide, and I see no good reason for it not to be the same in UK.

Is there a paper / TV program / website or anything else that could provide me with this? Alternatively does anyone know if anyone has tried (perhaps unsuccessfully) to start up such a media source, and if so why was it not successful?

Last edited by backagen; Jun 26th 2008 at 9:22 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

jhorsfield30 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by backagen
All this talk of the miserable, moaning, whinging British news media has got me wondering, IS THERE a more positive alternative source of UK news?

I'm not looking for ALL the genuine bad news to be ignored, but I would love to be able to read / watch UK news that is genuinely balanced, objective and TRUE, with at least a sprinkling of nice, happy news each day!!! I must say, that is the way the news media operates here in Adelaide, and I see no good reason for it not to be the same in UK.

Is there a paper / TV program / website or anything else that could provide me with this? Alternatively does anyone know if anyone has tried (perhaps unsuccessfully) to start up such a media source, and if so why was it not successful?
Thats interesting, I find media to rarely be inpartial, I haven't had too much exposure with australian newspapers yet, but usually do my own research on a news story I'am interested in. Especially from UK newspapers.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently someone tried a positive news paper, it didn't last 5 minutes. I mean just think reading the British papers you would think Britain to be the only country in the world with economic problems at the moment.

Canada has the same rising food and oil prices, the same economic slowdown (ie forecast growth 1.75%) and it is reported but not much, also the prime minister has not once been given the blame.

In the UK media it's like the world is coming to an end, utterly hysterical reporting of the impending recession, it's endless and of course it couldn't be anyone elses fault other than the PM. Maybe it's a bit too glossed over in Canada but surely there is a happy medium.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Murdoch and Packer have a lot to answer for, since they own or control most of the worlds news media.

Even so though, the Advertiser (Adelaides main newspaper) is owned by News Corporation (Rupert Murdochs mob) and manages to provide an enjoyable, entertaining and even often uplifting version of the news.

I wouldn't necessarily go as far as automatically believing everything I read in it, but at least it's not hopelessly depressing!

The same applies to the TV news here.

Again I see no GOOD reason why the same couldn't happen in the UK.

Even if one must be cynical and look at it purely from a business perspective, (as opposed to a social one) surely there MUST be a big commercial demand for more balanced and positive news in the UK? Therefore you'd think media companies would WANT to get in on this!
Old Jun 28th 2008, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Murdoch and Packer have a lot to answer for, since they own or control most of the worlds news media.

Even so though, the Advertiser (Adelaides main newspaper) is owned by News Corporation (Rupert Murdochs mob) and manages to provide an enjoyable, entertaining and even often uplifting version of the news.

I wouldn't necessarily go as far as automatically believing everything I read in it, but at least it's not hopelessly depressing!

The same applies to the TV news here.

Again I see no GOOD reason why the same couldn't happen in the UK.

Even if one must be cynical and look at it purely from a business perspective, (as opposed to a social one) surely there MUST be a big commercial demand for more balanced and positive news in the UK? Therefore you'd think media companies would WANT to get in on this!
The thing is, and as the Australians have famously observed, the British are world-class whingers. Nothing pleases a Brit more than moaning about something that in actual fact has not much wrong with it at all. It's an art-form in Britain. Two strangers start talking at a bus-stop (yeah, right) but let's just say they forgot they were British and started talking to each other, the only way the conversation could keep going is if one of them thought of something to whinge about.

The British news reflects this. Whereas US and Australian news has the good the bad and the ugly, UK news generally is just misery, with the occasional skate-boarding chicken in the final slot.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice

We English do moan dont we. Things dont change hey.

Still, I feel like I have now risen above it. Popped into Morrisons today for some coffee and nice cake and bumped into a friend who went on and on about how its all going down the pan.... listened and tried to put my point forth, it landed on deaf ears.... why.....I wonder.... well its not to my surprise really, I feel that I am now on a different level.

Used to moan before I left for Auz, now I appreciate everything about the UK, I love it. But the winging poms who have never left will always winge.... they think the grass is greener, but in my opinion it isnt. You always want what you cant have, and when you have got it you dont want it. Life is a lesson, I have learnt mine and I dont winge or moan about anything in the UK. Ive got over it. No rose tints or reality check, to me its home, and I love it.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

The moment there is some kind of good news here in Britain I will be more than happy to let you know about it in here. Until then I will wish you all out there in the sunshine of your new domiciles a VERY HAPPY CHRISTMAS
Old Jun 28th 2008, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by _debs_

Still, I feel like I have now risen above it. Popped into Morrisons today for some coffee and nice cake and bumped into a friend who went on and on about how its all going down the pan.... listened and tried to put my point forth, it landed on deaf ears.... why.....I wonder.... well its not to my surprise really, I feel that I am now on a different level.

Used to moan before I left for Auz, now I appreciate everything about the UK, I love it. But the winging poms who have never left will always winge.... they think the grass is greener, but in my opinion it isnt. You always want what you cant have, and when you have got it you dont want it. Life is a lesson, I have learnt mine and I dont winge or moan about anything in the UK. Ive got over it. No rose tints or reality check, to me its home, and I love it.
Good on you Debs! You will never convince people that they dont tell the truth on the telly though - everyone knows that everything on the box is gospel!!!! I will be there in 3 weeks and will be spreading the word as well - lucky b*ggers dont know how good they have got it!!!! (edited to say, just for a holiday not forever unfortunately!)
Old Jun 28th 2008, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tableland
The thing is, and as the Australians have famously observed, the British are world-class whingers. Nothing pleases a Brit more than moaning about something that in actual fact has not much wrong with it at all. It's an art-form in Britain. Two strangers start talking at a bus-stop (yeah, right) but let's just say they forgot they were British and started talking to each other, the only way the conversation could keep going is if one of them thought of something to whinge about.

The British news reflects this. Whereas US and Australian news has the good the bad and the ugly, UK news generally is just misery, with the occasional skate-boarding chicken in the final slot.
I would agree with this to an extent. As I've said before, you get the media you deserve. If it wasn't selling papers, they would change their slant! Newspapers are slowly dying off anyway, which makes them hypervigilant to their audience's preferences.

I do disagree with your comment on the Australian media having the good the bad and the ugly however. More like 10 dollops of good, one dollop of bad and half a dollop of ugly.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by _debs_

What a brilliant post. Sums up how a lot of us must feel I'm sure, and you're so right about how you go back home "on a different level" appreciating all that is good about the country.

I have often felt a very strong conflict when my UK relatives have said they are thinking of emigrating.

Half of me wants to say "No, don't do it. Learn from my experience that the grass is not greener", but the other half of me wants to say "Ok then, do it. That way you might understand where I'm coming from when you've experienced it for yourself".

The way you put it really helps that make sense to me. There's no way anyone can understand the reasons not to emigrate, until they HAVE emigrated! Sad but very true!
Old Jun 29th 2008, 1:37 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Its so funny you just throw in that your an immigrant yourself, but thats alright cos you're British. But Poles, Africans... noooo dirty mustard hating trouble makers. Did you speak fluent Spanish when you emigrated?

Have to agree with this. That's why i don't complain about immigrants in UK, we want a better life, why can't they.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

The problem I have with people who immigrate to the UK, especially from countries such as India and Pakistan, is that they often don't make a genuine effort to
- Learn and speak English
- Get jobs and support themselves
- Comply with UK cultural norms (such as good personal hygiene, style of clothing, respect for UK laws, etc)

Before anyone complains, let me acknowledge that the above is a massive generalisation, and there are plenty of immigrants form those and other countries who are fantastic additions to the country.

Sadly though there's certain areas in England where it's extremely obvious that they're not, and they bring down the whole character and quality of life for everyone in those communities.

The other problem I have is simply that there's far too many immigrants coming into the UK. This seems to be causing, and certainly has potential to cause, massive problems by overloadng the countries infrastructures.

I'm NOT racist against anyone from any country, but I have personally observed these sorts of problems and they can be serious.

In fairness though I should acknowledge that from what I've read recently in the news, it seems that the British government is now putting better immigration controls in place, so that should be a good first step in addressing these issues.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

Dee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really niceDee_dee is just really nice

#nu-shooz, ummm, I wasn't ''comp-laining'' about immigrants in the UK, so I'm afraid you're agreeing with a twisted version of what I actually wrote. I was simply stating that parts of UK would probably appear changed to a lot of returnees due to the very fast immigrant population in towns where until recently there was very few.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem I have with people who immigrate to the UK, especially from countries such as India and Pakistan, is that they often don't make a genuine effort to
- Learn and speak English
- Get jobs and support themselves
- Comply with UK cultural norms (such as good personal hygiene, style of clothing, respect for UK laws, etc)

Before anyone complains, let me acknowledge that the above is a massive generalisation, and there are plenty of immigrants form those and other countries who are fantastic additions to the country.

Sadly though there's certain areas in England where it's extremely obvious that they're not, and they bring down the whole character and quality of life for everyone in those communities.

The other problem I have is simply that there's far too many immigrants coming into the UK. This seems to be causing, and certainly has potential to cause, massive problems by overloadng the countries infrastructures.

I'm NOT racist against anyone from any country, but I have personally observed these sorts of problems and they can be serious.

In fairness though I should acknowledge that from what I've read recently in the news, it seems that the British government is now putting better immigration controls in place, so that should be a good first step in addressing these issues.

It is a huge huge generalisation, why say it?
Old Jun 29th 2008, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
The moment there is some kind of good news here in Britain I will be more than happy to let you know about it in here. Until then I will wish you all out there in the sunshine of your new domiciles a VERY HAPPY CHRISTMAS
LOL I'm not quite sure which way you intended that to be taken. Do you mean the moment that any good news is actually REPORTED by the media, or do you seriously think there isn't any good news?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.