Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Right then, only postive posts please!

Right then, only postive posts please!

Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Right then, only postive posts please!

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Well, I have been sitting here for two days sequestered in my house due to the thick ice on the roads (dangerous driving - and I'm not about to go out in the car). So, my mind has wandered again to thoughts of moving back to my beloved Scotland

I've read many negative comments on these boards about moving back, but also some really good comments.

So, here's my question - what are the most positive things about living in the UK? No negative comments please, only positive ones, thanks.

This is weird, and not something I'd have thought of without living in another country:

the feeling that, even with complete strangers, I'd have something in common with them and could easily strike up a conversation about something we both have experienced....
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to behold

Well, I have been sitting here for two days sequestered in my house due to the thick ice on the roads (dangerous driving - and I'm not about to go out in the car). So, my mind has wandered again to thoughts of moving back to my beloved Scotland

I've read many negative comments on these boards about moving back, but also some really good comments.

So, here's my question - what are the most positive things about living in the UK? No negative comments please, only positive ones, thanks.
When I first moved to the States, I got 'homesick' for the Scottish Highlands, even though I'm English. All I wanted to do was climb up mountains in Torriden (Sp?) It's probably the most beautiful and moving place I've ever set eyes on.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

kelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Right then, only postive posts please!

Originally Posted by JRB
A sense of community
Sense of humour
Diversity
Interestingness ( if there's such a word!)
Meeting people you can relate too, have common shared experiences e.g yes I went to Glastonbury in 95 too instead of 'WTF is the Melbourne cup?'
Summer festivals, fairs, fetes
No annoying flies going in your ear or nose, just normal ones!
Sunshine is bearable so kids can play out for hours in the summer
Obviously family and old friends
So much to do
shops are interesting and different, not just bland shopping centres with the same shops
Culture, Europe on doorstep
Pubs, theatre, music
Not as many 4WD's
Don't have to travel miles for something different
Countryside and great beaches, southwold, Scotland, Cornwall etc etc
Loads of interesting little towns to explore all within 50 mile radius, not just one bland suburb the same as the other.
Character houses
People are generally more tolerant and less materialistic
Better study and work options
The train passengers aren't as intimidating!!!

I can go on and on. I am glad to have experienced living in Perth for 5 years but much happier back here. I think if you ignore the daily mail gloom and doom B/S and make the most of things, the UK is fantastic. Our lives are greatly enriched being back here.

All the best

you a fly on the wall of my brain or what?!!

I couldn't have put it any better!!! Glad to hear that people do actually feel better for moving back to the uk!
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

mattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to behold

Got to be those late summer evenings, they make the days last forever also the buzz of Saturday 3pm kick off.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 7:13 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread!

For me when I returned it was just seeing the wonderful green fields with horses, sheep and cows.

A few months later in spring it was walking through the countryside seeing the daffodils and bluebells and hearing the birds singing.

In the summer it was sitting out in the garden till late with a nice bottle of wine or in the beer garden with friends at our local - all the beautiful hanging baskets in full bloom .

During autumn I loved seeing the harvest with the hay bales in the fields and the amazing golden colours.

Even winter has been wonderful - lovely crisp clear days walking for miles through some of the best countryside in the world with our dogs.

All year round it's home and it's fab
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 7:36 am
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.beautifulbritain.co.uk/ht..._and_about.htm

Nuff-said
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

kelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juswus
Not being asked where you are from the moment you open your mouth...and then being asked if that is near Liverpool
oh yes thats a good one!!
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 8:40 am
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kelbelinoz
oh yes thats a good one!!

Yes the ausssies are like Americans 90% + have never left the islands they live on.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 2:23 pm
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

The variety of food which is much more than in Canada and USA. Organic foods which don't cost an arm and a leg more in price like they do here.
Spring flowers, daffodils, tulips etc. Hope to see those in Spring 2009 when we are there, having spent winter in UK.

JRB and others have said it all, English green countryside etc, etc. and yes better manners and not picking up on our English accents when in USA. We don't get that in Canada - more of us Brits so they don't care.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 2:29 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pamela 1
The variety of food which is much more than in Canada and USA. Organic foods which don't cost an arm and a leg more in price like they do here.
Spring flowers, daffodils, tulips etc. Hope to see those in Spring 2009 when we are there, having spent winter in UK.

JRB and others have said it all, English green countryside etc, etc. and yes better manners and not picking up on our English accents when in USA. We don't get that in Canada - more of us Brits so they don't care.
I never quite figured out why spring bulbs dont do well in the States (not in the South, anyway). I remember daffs used to last about a day after popping up, and tulips, snowdrops, crocuses, etc., were nonexistent.

Anybody know why?
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 2:56 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Pamela 1;5973620]
Spring flowers, daffodils, tulips etc.
QUOTE]

My Mum emailed me telling me about the "glorious" weather they've been having and how she went for a drive and passed beautiful fields covered in snowdrops...the sides of the roads were totally white.

Yeah...that bought her another week of no phone calls

(just kidding..I'm a good daughter...lol)

I miss my garden in Spring too...My brother was a gardener at Hampton Court Palace and they were throwing out Daff bulbs, so he gave them to me....I had Royal Daffodils!!!
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 2:59 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunroving
I never quite figured out why spring bulbs dont do well in the States (not in the South, anyway). I remember daffs used to last about a day after popping up, and tulips, snowdrops, crocuses, etc., were nonexistent.

Anybody know why?
i asked that a lot when i first moved here and no garden centres could answer me, you see some daffs/tulips here however they are in pots. i love springtime in the uk infact i love anytime in the uk
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

bugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
The Right to Roam (free countryside).
a massive plus and our (myself and my US wife) main thing we love and miss about the UK, its a great feedom that just isnt available here in america.

the average american suburbanite has no idea of the concept of a simple hike in the local countryside, in fact most people i know never walk anywhere, ever, the furthest they walk is to the car and from the car across the strip mall car park, luckily we live in an actual real town with a centre 25 mins walk away (down tree lined streets) so i do that most days to go the library, get wine etc, the neighbours think im really weird.

the other cliched answers:great beer, great cheeses, bacon, bread as standard, those simple things that make life worth living!!

we travel way, way less in the US than we ever did in the UK, local interesting destinations just arent really there, the nearest we get to are visiting forest reserves but its often no dogs allowed and stick to teh path!!

the Uk is way more dog friendy too, although here the leash laws are understandable with rabies being present.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 4:56 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by JRB
A sense of community
Sense of humour
Diversity
Interestingness ( if there's such a word!)
Meeting people you can relate too, have common shared experiences e.g yes I went to Glastonbury in 95 too instead of 'WTF is the Melbourne cup?'
Summer festivals, fairs, fetes
No annoying flies going in your ear or nose, just normal ones!
Sunshine is bearable so kids can play out for hours in the summer
Obviously family and old friends
So much to do
shops are interesting and different, not just bland shopping centres with the same shops
Culture, Europe on doorstep
Pubs, theatre, music
Not as many 4WD's
Don't have to travel miles for something different
Countryside and great beaches, southwold, Scotland, Cornwall etc etc
Loads of interesting little towns to explore all within 50 mile radius, not just one bland suburb the same as the other.
Character houses
People are generally more tolerant and less materialistic
Better study and work options
The train passengers aren't as intimidating!!!

I can go on and on. I am glad to have experienced living in Perth for 5 years but much happier back here. I think if you ignore the daily mail gloom and doom B/S and make the most of things, the UK is fantastic. Our lives are greatly enriched being back here.

All the best
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

bugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i asked that a lot when i first moved here and no garden centres could answer me, you see some daffs/tulips here however they are in pots. i love springtime in the uk infact i love anytime in the uk
haha, daffodils are a long way away here near chicago, lots of very cold weather, luckily the spring here does have a nice british feel, mild and breezy, until the heat kicks in..... tru brit, just to rub it in, im glad i dont live in houston!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.