Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Right then, only postive posts please!

Right then, only postive posts please!

Old Feb 22nd 2008, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Right then, only postive posts please!

Well, I have been sitting here for two days sequestered in my house due to the thick ice on the roads (dangerous driving - and I'm not about to go out in the car). So, my mind has wandered again to thoughts of moving back to my beloved Scotland

I've read many negative comments on these boards about moving back, but also some really good comments.

So, here's my question - what are the most positive things about living in the UK? No negative comments please, only positive ones, thanks.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 5:22 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Right then, only postive posts please!

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Well, I have been sitting here for two days sequestered in my house due to the thick ice on the roads (dangerous driving - and I'm not about to go out in the car). So, my mind has wandered again to thoughts of moving back to my beloved Scotland

I've read many negative comments on these boards about moving back, but also some really good comments.

So, here's my question - what are the most positive things about living in the UK? No negative comments please, only positive ones, thanks.
well it's home for starters
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

So, here's my question - what are the most positive things about living in the UK? No negative comments please, only positive ones, thanks.[/QUOTE]

HI
Sorry not quite what you asked for but only my definition
Feeling instinctively that is where you belong especially when you catch up with old friends who understand you because you share history built up over many years .
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:10 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marmalade

The Right to Roam (free countryside).
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:21 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
The Right to Roam (free countryside).
that's a good one - my inlaws are from Virginia and on their first visit to my parents' village in Suffolk they couldn't get over the whole public footpath thing - they were amazed that you could walk practically anywhere through farmland provided you abide by a few simple rules. Where they live in rural VA that's basically unthinkable.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:31 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Not being asked where you are from the moment you open your mouth...and then being asked if that is near Liverpool
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:40 pm
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juswus
Not being asked where you are from the moment you open your mouth
I like to think that when I go back I will no longer be "the outsider," but then I think I'm going to sound American to people in the UK and THEY'll ask me where I'm from . . . . and if I like it there . . .
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SarahInTX
I like to think that when I go back I will no longer be "the outsider," but then I think I'm going to sound American to people in the UK and THEY'll ask me where I'm from . . . . and if I like it there . . .

well you're going to have to start to speak proper like and get practicing
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:58 pm
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
well you're going to have to start to speak proper like and get practicing
Yer. I think it'll come back pretty quickly . . . .
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

For me it is the green grass and the ground that gives when you walk on it. The patchwork of fields in summer time. A sense of shared history that is relevant to me. The variety and beauty of the place. Birds that sing and dont screech (flock of cockies just flew overhead at 747 decibel level). Long, balmy summer nights. A sense of belonging and not being somewhere on the periphery of life and being able to be my real self instead of acting a part day after day. Oh, yes, and daffodils and cowslips!
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 9:13 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juswus
Not being asked where you are from the moment you open your mouth...and then being asked if that is near Liverpool
Funnily enough, when i went back last year i DID get asked where i was from all the time. Apparently I have a slight aussie accent nowadays. But the difference between here and UK is that people tended to be much more friendly and interested in where i was "from". In fact it was a good ice breaker. The only time it was a problem was in Tescos when several times various checkout ladies would start asking me heaps of questions which irritated the queue behind me

My fave things about being back in UK were

People taking a real interest in making their gardens attractive.

Glorious hanging baskets of flowers everywhere in the summer months

Homes that feel like homes made of brick and stone, not flimsy wood or the cheapest materials available

Manners. Yes i know all places have rude people, but in general the British are far better mannered than Aussies and consider other peoples feelings

Feeling I am back in the land of the here and now instead of a time warp playing catch up
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Twigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud of

Manners, someone holding the door open to let me through, talking with neighbours and them understanding EVERYTHING I say. Being able to hop on a bus to town, Sainsbury's & M&S. London and the wonderful buildings, the thought of just standing under Nelson's column with a stupid big grin on my face, saying "I'm home".
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 9:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Twigstar
Manners, someone holding the door open to let me through, talking with neighbours and them understanding EVERYTHING I say. Being able to hop on a bus to town, Sainsbury's & M&S. London and the wonderful buildings, the thought of just standing under Nelson's column with a stupid big grin on my face, saying "I'm home".
i say that at passport control on landing at heathrow/gatwick on my trips back. the immigration officers must think i'm nuts but hey who cares, i don't
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:06 pm
JRB
Forum Regular

JRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to behold

A sense of community
Sense of humour
Diversity
Interestingness ( if there's such a word!)
Meeting people you can relate too, have common shared experiences e.g yes I went to Glastonbury in 95 too instead of 'WTF is the Melbourne cup?'
Summer festivals, fairs, fetes
No annoying flies going in your ear or nose, just normal ones!
Sunshine is bearable so kids can play out for hours in the summer
Obviously family and old friends
So much to do
shops are interesting and different, not just bland shopping centres with the same shops
Culture, Europe on doorstep
Pubs, theatre, music
Not as many 4WD's
Don't have to travel miles for something different
Countryside and great beaches, southwold, Scotland, Cornwall etc etc
Loads of interesting little towns to explore all within 50 mile radius, not just one bland suburb the same as the other.
Character houses
People are generally more tolerant and less materialistic
Better study and work options
The train passengers aren't as intimidating!!!

I can go on and on. I am glad to have experienced living in Perth for 5 years but much happier back here. I think if you ignore the daily mail gloom and doom B/S and make the most of things, the UK is fantastic. Our lives are greatly enriched being back here.

All the best
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JRB
A sense of community
Sense of humour
Diversity
Interestingness ( if there's such a word!)
Meeting people you can relate too, have common shared experiences e.g yes I went to Glastonbury in 95 too instead of 'WTF is the Melbourne cup?'
Summer festivals, fairs, fetes
No annoying flies going in your ear or nose, just normal ones!
Sunshine is bearable so kids can play out for hours in the summer
Obviously family and old friends
So much to do
shops are interesting and different, not just bland shopping centres with the same shops
Culture, Europe on doorstep
Pubs, theatre, music
Not as many 4WD's
Don't have to travel miles for something different
Countryside and great beaches, southwold, Scotland, Cornwall etc etc
Loads of interesting little towns to explore all within 50 mile radius, not just one bland suburb the same as the other.
Character houses
People are generally more tolerant and less materialistic
Better study and work options
The train passengers aren't as intimidating!!!

I can go on and on. I am glad to have experienced living in Perth for 5 years but much happier back here. I think if you ignore the daily mail gloom and doom B/S and make the most of things, the UK is fantastic. Our lives are greatly enriched being back here.

All the best
well that certainly deserves some k!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.