British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Reverse Culture Shock (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/reverse-culture-shock-790395/)

ElizabethK Mar 22nd 2013 2:57 am

Re: Reverse Culture Shock

Originally Posted by judesM (Post 10617709)
I don't know if it's just me but each time I return to the UK, nearly everyone appears to have the same generic Essex/East end accent everywhere I go. Bristol, Cheltenham, Norwich are some of the places I go to. I grew up in W.Sussex and no one speaks like me any more including people I went to the village primary school with. It's just plain bizarre to me. Almost as if folk are covering up their original accents. I dread to think how wierd I must sound to them after 35 years in the US.

It's as if there was an official EU UK accent change day and this was the new accent adopted and I didn't receive the memo! :)

I heard that the accent has changed over the last 10-15 years due to an influx of Australian soaps, not sure if that's true? There's definitely been a change in it though, and I find it annoying when people end a sentence with what I can only describe as a sort of questioning, upward lilt in their tone

J.JsOH Mar 22nd 2013 11:52 am

Originally Posted by judesM (Post 10617709)
I don't know if it's just me but each time I return to the UK, nearly everyone appears to have the same generic Essex/East end accent everywhere I go. Bristol, Cheltenham, Norwich are some of the places I go to. I grew up in W.Sussex and no one speaks like me any more including people I went to the village primary school with. It's just plain bizarre to me. Almost as if folk are covering up their original accents. I dread to think how wierd I must sound to them after 35 years in the US.

It's as if there was an official EU UK accent change day and this was the new accent adopted and I didn't receive the memo! :)

It is now not typical to hear a Norfolk accent in Norfolk.
There are many people moved here to Norfolk from further south. I have come to expect a Essex / London accent and am surprised to hear a Norfolk accent.

sallysimmons Mar 22nd 2013 2:29 pm

There are definitely plenty of accents up here!

Although in some of the more well-to-do towns such as Harrogate and Ilkley, the influx of southerners means you hear less than in the rest of the county.

ldollard Mar 25th 2013 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by J.JsOH (Post 10618271)
It is now not typical to hear a Norfolk accent in Norfolk.
There are many people moved here to Norfolk from further south. I have come to expect a Essex / London accent and am surprised to hear a Norfolk accent.

Love norfolk, spent a lot of my childhood there on holidays.