British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Reverse Culture Shock (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/reverse-culture-shock-790395/)

Sue Mar 13th 2013 2:34 pm

Reverse Culture Shock

This thread prompted me to post a link to this article we have in our article section about Reverse Culture Shock. It's an old article but I feel very relevant. In some ways the move back can be more difficult for us as we feel the "strange in the familiar," in which we think we will fit right back in but things that were once familiar to us are now strange, or have changed.

In some ways if we get confused over things abroad our British accents will somewhat explain away why we don't understand the way things are done, and so locals may give us a little leeway. However we don't get that luxury in the UK, because we sound like locals, therefore we must be.

I always remember getting a funny look from a woman in the newsagent where I grew up when I asked her how the Euro lottery worked. She actually knew me from school and had no idea I was living in the US, so probably thought I was a bit strange.

Another occoasion was when I was presented with a two pound coin in my change and I had no idea what it was. I think the assisant thought I had lost it.

So how about you? What was "strange in the familiar" to you when you first moved back, or indeed when you go back to visit family?

dunroving Mar 13th 2013 2:57 pm

Re: Reverse Culture Shock

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 10601241)
This thread prompted me to post a link to this article we have in our article section about Reverse Culture Shock. It's an old article but I feel very relevant. In some ways the move back can be more difficult for as we feel the "strange in the familiar," in which we think we will fit right back in but things that were once familiar to us are now strange, or have changed.

In some ways if we get confused over things abroad our British accents will somewhat explain away why we don't understand the way things are done, and so locals may give us a little leeway. However we don't get that luxury in the UK, because we sound like locals, therefore we must be.

I always remember getting a funny look from a woman in the newsagent where I grew up when I asked her how the Euro lottery worked. She actually knew me from school and had no idea I was living in the US, so probably thought I was a bit strange.

Another occoasion was when I was presented with a two pound coin in my change and I had no idea what it was. I think the assisant thought I had lost it.

So how about you? What was "strange in the familiar" to you when you first moved back, or indeed when you go back to visit family?

For those of us who emigrated before the age of t'interWeb, I'm sure we have what I think of as cultural gaps - many is the occasion when a person will be on telly and I have to ask, "Who is that?"

Whether it is sport, culture, or politics, I am completely out of touch with most of what happened in the 1980s and 1990s ...

windsong Mar 13th 2013 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10601294)
For those of us who emigrated before the age of t'interWeb, I'm sure we have what I think of as cultural gaps - many is the occasion when a person will be on telly and I have to ask, "Who is that?"

Whether it is sport, culture, or politics, I am completely out of touch with most of what happened in the 1980s and 1990s ...

Me, too.

Like you, I have noticed this when watching TV and, while a name may seem familiar, the face does not. As a result, I have gone to Google images and looked them up as they were 20 years ago and then it hits home who they are.

I also found recently that my memories of the village in which I grew up as a young girl (around 5 years old) were grossly disturbed by present reality. I looked on VPike.com at the village as it is now and the beautiful country lanes down which we used to walk alongside the ducks has now been replaced by a motorway. I truly panicked and cried tears for a few minutes. Even though in my mind, I know you cannot reclaim time, it was still an emotional shock.

SadInStates Mar 13th 2013 5:42 pm

For me it's been a bit like waking from a 17 year coma! Not hugely different but many things in popular culture have passed my by!
I thought Gary Barlow was a relation of Ken Barlow and something to do with Coronation Street (which I never watched anyway, and is now called Corrie, apparently!) and was getting confused with West Life and Westfield, the shopping centre! :eek:

The other big thing has been dealing with officialdom such as schools who are the worst for expecting me to know how things are done, dentists (who don't automatically do a clean and polish when you schedule a checkup) and I expect doctors will be different from what I'm used to too! :unsure:

But being back has been worth EVERY minute of it! :thumbsup:

pennylessinindia Mar 13th 2013 5:54 pm

Reverse culture shock is something many do not recognise or talk about.
So much is written about culture shock when moving away but not much about it for coming back!
I am 11 months back in the UK and still finding things a little odd. I am glad to be back but still find it hard to settle down.
It is hard to talk about to people who have not been away. I love meeting others who have lived overseas and in some strange way they just understand it so easily.

ldollard Mar 13th 2013 6:12 pm

I cant believe that i'm so looking forward to global warming, it cant come quick enough to the UK.

Sally Redux Mar 13th 2013 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by ldollard (Post 10601775)
I cant believe that i'm so looking forward to global warming, it cant come quick enough to the UK.

Global warming will have the effect of making the UK colder, something to do with the Gulf Stream.

dunroving Mar 13th 2013 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by SadInStates (Post 10601709)
For me it's been a bit like waking from a 17 year coma! Not hugely different but many things in popular culture have passed my by!
I thought Gary Barlow was a relation of Ken Barlow and something to do with Coronation Street (which I never watched anyway, and is now called Corrie, apparently!) and was getting confused with West Life and Westfield, the shopping centre! :eek:

The other big thing has been dealing with officialdom such as schools who are the worst for expecting me to know how things are done, dentists (who don't automatically do a clean and polish when you schedule a checkup) and I expect doctors will be different from what I'm used to too! :unsure:

But being back has been worth EVERY minute of it! :thumbsup:

Yes, I saw on the news last night that Curly Watts is returning to Coronation Street and all I could think was "I never knew he left". :rofl:

Sally Redux Mar 13th 2013 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10601889)
Yes, I saw on the news last night that Curly Watts is returning to Coronation Street and all I could think was "I never knew he left". :rofl:

Me neither :lol:

ldollard Mar 13th 2013 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10601811)
Global warming will have the effect of making the UK colder, something to do with the Gulf Stream.

damnit. :)

Mummy in the foothills Mar 13th 2013 10:24 pm

Mine was when Dh and I went to Tesco and tried to pay with a £20 note, turned out the money had changed (we had no idea) and there had been a length of time when you could use them and the new looking ones, the check out woman said, "sorry love you can't pay with that" cue us looking bewildered, then my high school friend (supervisor) came told us why, we were the talk of the whole queue and the till next door, half the town then found out we'd been living abroad and saving all the birthday money the kids got sent over the years. :lol: We had to go in the bank and change it. Even the bank teller gave us funny looks "where did you find this in your mattress?" kind of comments
Oh and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to put petrol in the car, my elderly Mum had to show me LOL

ldollard Mar 13th 2013 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10602274)
Mine was when Dh and I went to Tesco and tried to pay with a £20 note, turned out the money had changed (we had no idea) and there had been a length of time when you could use them and the new looking ones, the check out woman said, "sorry love you can't pay with that" cue us looking bewildered, then my high school friend (supervisor) came told us why, we were the talk of the whole queue and the till next door, half the town then found out we'd been living abroad and saving all the birthday money the kids got sent over the years. :lol: We had to go in the bank and change it. Even the bank teller gave us funny looks "where did you find this in your mattress?" kind of comments
Oh and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to put petrol in the car, my elderly Mum had to show me LOL

Thats awesome, love the story.

kampaicharger Mar 13th 2013 11:08 pm

Hehehehehe..

I got it worked out::fingerscrossed:

When buying a car/caravan or haggling in a market I will put on a cloth cap and pretend I've never left Yorkshire: "ere my lad, that's a reet fine lookin' (car/caravan/whatever) but yull be gettin' nought fer it at t'price"

When chatting up a girl in the pub or dealing with the french (who dislike the english according to my french great grandmother) I shall put on my akubra and pretend I'm crocodile dundee: "g,day.. howyagoin, fair dinkum you'se pommy sheila's are a bit of orright"

I'll supply the "culture" you can provide the "shock" :rofl:

Bud the Wiser Mar 13th 2013 11:15 pm

Chip and Pin
Press the red button
Oyster cards
Trying to sort out change.
"Oh look at all the different types of Kit Kat/ Galaxy/ etc." - together with an odd look from the shopkeeper, because you still have a Brit accent.
Using 'American English' - 'Trash cans' for example.

SadInStates Mar 13th 2013 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser (Post 10602337)
Using 'American English' - 'Trash cans' for example.

LOL Having been resolutely British in America just today I asked to open a checking acount in the bank only to be asked if I meant a current account! :rofl:
And for the life of me I just cannot get the hang of putting the day before the month. Even when I make a consientious effort to get it right it still ends up coming out (either on paper or more often verbally) month first! :eek:

And I have absolutely no idea what the red button does. I'm too scared to try it in case the TV blows up, or worse, rearranges where I know to find the channels/recording I watch!! :blink: