British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Reverse Culture Shock (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/reverse-culture-shock-790395/)

rebs Mar 14th 2013 7:08 am

Re: Reverse Culture Shock

Originally Posted by ElizabethK (Post 10602528)
I can never understand why the pay at the pump petrol has not seemed to have caught on in UK. It takes forever to put it in, then go inside and queue up to pay for it. That's going to be annoying to begin with.

One or two places do pay at pump - our local Tesco has a couple (along with traditional pay pumps). I'm with you - I think it's super efficient and fab, but it doesn't seem to be too popular, most of the people I know don't bother with it :)

englishguygoinghome Mar 14th 2013 9:19 am

Originally Posted by rebs (Post 10602813)
One or two places do pay at pump - our local Tesco has a couple (along with traditional pay pumps). I'm with you - I think it's super efficient and fab, but it doesn't seem to be too popular, most of the people I know don't bother with it :)

Ah yes, but you can't use the 5p a litre vouchers and don't get the stickers for the nice pyrex stuff if you pay at pump. Although I think you do get clubcard points. What's the point in that!

jemima55 Mar 14th 2013 1:35 pm

Morrisons has "pay at the pump".

Sally Redux Mar 14th 2013 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by rebs (Post 10602813)

Tesco had it before we left - it was handy with little kids.

My jaw dropped last time I was back, my Mum's local petrol station has an M&S food hall.

ozzieeagle Mar 14th 2013 11:01 pm

Very interesting thread, Notice there are hardly any Aussies returnees on it. After all we get QI on TV, have the Red Button and have Cheque accounts ;) Also have Pay at the pump and in the store.

I'd be stumped with the money as well I will admit. One thing I wouldnt be able to fathom .... Phoning up a help line and getting charged by the minute.

Mummy in the foothills Mar 14th 2013 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by SadInStates (Post 10602355)
LOL Having been resolutely British in America just today I asked to open a checking acount in the bank only to be asked if I meant a current account! :rofl:
And for the life of me I just cannot get the hang of putting the day before the month. Even when I make a consientious effort to get it right it still ends up coming out (either on paper or more often verbally) month first! :eek:

And I have absolutely no idea what the red button does. I'm too scared to try it in case the TV blows up, or worse, rearranges where I know to find the channels/recording I watch!! :blink:

:lol: I hit the red button one time, nothing happened, maybe I didn't press hard enough or long enough.

larrabee Mar 14th 2013 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by ElizabethK (Post 10602528)
I can never understand why the pay at the pump petrol has not seemed to have caught on in UK. It takes forever to put it in, then go inside and queue up to pay for it. That's going to be annoying to begin with.

My local Asda has a drive through where you pay!
Love it!!!:D

jemima55 Mar 14th 2013 11:25 pm

The red button?

ozzieeagle Mar 14th 2013 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by jemima55 (Post 10604537)
The red button?

Surely you've got one ?

gazz21 Mar 14th 2013 11:34 pm

When I came back for a hol in the summer these were the things that struck me:

-ve
How fat the UK is becoming (maybe not so noticeable if you're coming from the US:rofl:)

The attitude of a (significant minority) of Brits, who have the - 'they owe us something mentality'

How some women 'act' like men.

Shops closing early.

Lack of customer service in lots of shops, and the shocking attitude of some of the staff - standing around/leaning on stuff/chewing gum/ heard one guy talking about how stoned he got the night before.....

+ve

SAUSAGES - real nice one's!

Brit's humour (could also stick that in the -ve too maybe!:p)

Nice selection of beer!

FAMILY!

Cities are all different - not all 'clones'

happyglow Mar 14th 2013 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by gazz21 (Post 10604552)
When I came back for a hol in the summer these were the things that struck me:

-ve

How some women 'act' like men.

:blink::blink::confused::confused::ohmy::ohmy:

That'll be the 21st century for you mate :rofl:

gazz21 Mar 14th 2013 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by happyglow (Post 10604557)
:blink::blink::confused::confused::ohmy::ohmy:

That'll be the 21st century for you mate :rofl:

HA - sorry I didn't mean it like that!

What I meant was the come kicking out time - fighting in the street, peeing in the street ect

Not that's it's okay for men to do it either! ;)

ElizabethK Mar 14th 2013 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by gazz21 (Post 10604552)

Lack of customer service in lots of shops, and the shocking attitude of some of the staff - standing around/leaning on stuff/chewing gum/ heard one guy talking about how stoned he got the night before.....

Oh yes, that's something I've noticed too especially in Asda, at the checkout the girls are talking to one another over the customers.
I'm wondering if it was like that when I lived there though, I can't remember?

vikingsail Mar 15th 2013 12:41 am

Originally Posted by gazz21 (Post 10604571)

What I meant was the come kicking out time - fighting in the street, peeing in the street ect

Oh thats not a new thing I remember closing time back in the 80's was full of women doing the same followed by a good 'cat fight' usually over some male in a nightclub, which invariably would end up with torn clothing and bits hanging out.... I always put it down to the sudden impact with cold air when exiting such places, combine that with alcohol and it does strange things to people

happyglow Mar 15th 2013 12:46 am

Originally Posted by gazz21 (Post 10604571)

Too right! Chav culture's still alive and well then :thumbdown: