Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to the UK - don't

Returning to the UK - don't

Old May 13th 2009, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK - don't

Originally Posted by macadian
inflict upon the reader an overwhelming desire to give up the will to live.....
Or return to the UK - a fate worse than death
Old May 13th 2009, 9:04 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
i can't wait to read the replies of 5 or 6 people to that.
Old May 13th 2009, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
i can't wait to read the replies of 5 or 6 people to that.
It was 'tongue in cheek'
Old May 13th 2009, 9:06 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Behave yourself or i shall have to spank your bottom
Old May 13th 2009, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
what a surprise, the old pick up on grammar, spelling and the like. i don't bother because i don't have to.

Changing The Subject (Digression, Red Herring, Misdirection, False Emphasis):
this is sometimes used to avoid having to defend a claim, or to avoid making good on a promise. In general, there is something you are not supposed to notice.
For example, I got a bill which had a big announcement about how some tax had gone up by 5%, and the costs would have to be passed on to me. But a quick calculation showed that the increased tax was only costing me a dime, while a different part of the the bill had silently gone up by $10.

This is connected to various diversionary tactics, which may be obstructive, obtuse, or needling. For example, if you quibble about the meaning of some word a person used, they may be quite happy about being corrected, since that means they've derailed you, or changed the subject. They may pick nits in your wording, perhaps asking you to define "is". They may deliberately misunderstand 'you'
i don't bother because i don't have to.
Clearly you apply the same 'logic' to rational thought.

This is brilliant! Several paragraphs in my post address directly the issue at hand and your illogical reactions to the original post and a suggestion about where your obvious (and somewhat disturbing) pent up energies may be put to good use, and what do you do? Accuse me of diversionary tactics by singling out a throw away line at the end of the post. Impressive selective reading there.

I think you should back to the UK for a couple of reasons. You will be closer to the people whose cause you seem to be self appointed champion (albeit from the saftey of your Canadian bolt hole) and also the winter is shorter so there would less need for hibernation and eliminate the need act like a bear with a very sore head, with bad grammar.
Old May 13th 2009, 11:41 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Clearly you apply the same 'logic' to rational thought.

This is brilliant! Several paragraphs in my post address directly the issue at hand and your illogical reactions to the original post and a suggestion about where your obvious (and somewhat disturbing) pent up energies may be put to good use, and what do you do? Accuse me of diversionary tactics by singling out a throw away line at the end of the post. Impressive selective reading there.

I think you should back to the UK for a couple of reasons. You will be closer to the people whose cause you seem to be self appointed champion (albeit from the saftey of your Canadian bolt hole) and also the winter is shorter so there would less need for hibernation and eliminate the need act like a bear with a very sore head, with bad grammar.

difficult to rise to your high standards when i am sure i fit into your category of a knuckle dragger. as i said i do not care about the odd grammatical error, punctuation and the like, this is not an assignment and you are not my teacher, though i am sure you would like to appoint yourself as such. i said this in my last post, yet you bring it up again. predictable.
Old May 13th 2009, 11:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Would the two of you take your argument to PM please?
Old May 13th 2009, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Would the two of you take your argument to PM please?
Oh I think it's about done. My Kraft dinner is burning.
Old May 14th 2009, 6:05 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Supremegermalene
No, I can't as the doctor says it's down to the HV to do the checks. If you had young kids and were in my position you would know that though and be in a better position to comment.

And, if you are going to nitpick, then there shouldn't be an apostrophe in doctors...

I'm off to have some adult discussion somewhere else.
Good grief. It was a genuine question. I had young kids, in Canada. I took them to the doctor's for a checkup. And doctor's is correct, because it wasn't many doctors, it was the doctor's office.

I don't know what the HV is. Genuine question. What is it, and why can't you go there? Not accusing you. I'm curious.

Bev
Old May 14th 2009, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

ahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Is there a full moon at the moment? There seems to be a plethora of idiots floating about on here this week
In all fairness some of the crap you have posted recently probably places you in said category.
Old May 14th 2009, 9:33 am
Account Closed

Gaeller is an unknown quantity at this point

I did not intend to return here as you know. However, a lot of people have sent private e-mails about the subjects I was addressing. they are of the opinion that they cannot get anything other than invectives on this site - pity. Some e-mails I have had difficulty in replying to - technical reasons on the site, so I am attempting to do that here in the meantime, hoping you will tune back in.

As some of you have already realised there is a separate forum for questions about Portugal and I will reply there. There is a lot of good information in that forum including job opportunities and details of living costs job all very well-balanced.

Last edited by Gaeller; May 14th 2009 at 9:35 am.
Old May 14th 2009, 9:44 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gaeller
I did not intend to return here as you know. However, a lot of people have sent private e-mails about the subjects I was addressing. they are of the opinion that they cannot get anything other than invectives on this site - pity. Some e-mails I have had difficulty in replying to - technical reasons on the site, so I am attempting to do that here in the meantime, hoping you will tune back in.

As some of you have already realised there is a separate forum for questions about Portugal and I will reply there. There is a lot of good information in that forum including job opportunities and details of living costs job all very well-balanced.
Hi Gaeller, good for you returning. Hey look, forums are places where some people love to just offend, let off steam, gripe. moan, argue, debate etc, etc, but they aren't the majority who read your post. Lots of others may benefit from what you have to say and who cares if they don't agree? It's just someone else's opinion.
I've been the centre of ridicule and attack many times for some straight talking and some straight shooting. In the end, most people forget and forgive. Well at least I do but then I don't really care too much.
Don't you just feel glad you're not Gordon Brown or Prince Charles? Imagine how they start most of their days?
Carry on posting your thoughts and don't worry about the others. It's not you, it's them
Old May 14th 2009, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

ahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Gaeller
I have lived in several countries mainly because I could always find better paid work where my contributions were welcomed.

My last domicile was Portugal when my husband retired. We went to an area where there were no ex-pats intending to find out how other people lived and enjoy the culture. We grew our own organic food and enjoyed outdoor life.

Because we both had old parents we returned to help care for them. It was a big wrench leaving but we looked forward to more theatre, music concerts and being able to take up new hobbies. What a shock. The cost of living is horrendous. Unless you can afford to go a trendy restaurant run by a celebrity chef, the food is junk. Added to which the 'big brother' atmosphere is oppressive. The innovative theatre which we loved is now non-existent, and the frequent nights at the opera have turned into a once a year event, replacing a holiday!

Many people find that living abroad involves learning a new language and sad to say a lot of Brits can't. That is insurmountable. If you want a British lifestyle and don't want to join in what the locals have to offer by all means come back. But beware, depending on how long you have been away, things have'nt half changed in the last ten years.
If you do not sing the appropriate song then your opinions are not welcome on this forum. Strange but true!
Old May 14th 2009, 10:07 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ahappychappy
In all fairness some of the crap you have posted recently probably places you in said category.
You can think what you like.

Personally, i stopped taking this website seriously a long time ago, mainly due to the common category of idiot, who sits at their computer extoling the virtues of living such a happy chappy kinda life, yet constantly frequents a forum that has nothing to do with their "supposed" state of mind and lifestyle, slags off the opinions of those who SHOULD be posting on here.
Tell me? Who's the idiot????
Old May 14th 2009, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ahappychappy
A well placed right hook would duly silence you I feel.
oooh a tough guy.

Well right now a sneeze can render me pretty useless, what with 5 broken ribs and a broken collarbone.

Not sure what the mods think about threats of physical violence on here but given your location I'm not surprised it's the first thought that springs to mind.

Last edited by Tr1boy; May 14th 2009 at 10:56 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.