Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to the UK - don't

Returning to the UK - don't

Old May 13th 2009, 5:50 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK - don't

Is there a full moon at the moment? There seems to be a plethora of idiots floating about on here this week
Old May 13th 2009, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bevm
Can't you just take her to the doctor's? That's what happens in most other countries. If home visits to new mothers and babies are still the norm in the UK, it's ahead of many places. Be glad!

Bev
No, I can't as the doctor says it's down to the HV to do the checks. If you had young kids and were in my position you would know that though and be in a better position to comment.

And, if you are going to nitpick, then there shouldn't be an apostrophe in doctors...

I'm off to have some adult discussion somewhere else.
Old May 13th 2009, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Dessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really nice

Originally Posted by Supremegermalene
I don't have great faith in the PT health care system either for personal reasons, I was just giving an example of how the UK NHS failed us as a family.

It used to be great midwife service here but having just had my 3rd child I can tell you now that in my area it has changed, midwives are stretched to the limits. My daughter is nearly one and a half and she hasn't had a health check since she was 6 weeks old! You get no home visits any more by the Health Visitors, and in the majority of areas you are only offered one scan now at 20 weeks. Gone are the supposed regular development checks, yes they give you the books telling you when they are supposed to be done but I haven't had them.

There are parts of the NHS service that are great but you don't get what you pay for anymore.
I have a one year old son who was born in spain and i am 7 months pregnant with my 2nd child. We moved back to the UK when my son was 7 months old, he has already had a home visit from the health visitor. I myself have had 2 scans and have another 2 booked as my first son was low birthweight so the NHS want to keep an eye on the baby's birthweight. Also, you are wrong about only getting one scan at 20 weeks because the first scan they do at around 12 weeks is the one they call the 'dating scan' where they work out the dates etc. I had private health care in spain and already i can say that the care i have received in this pregnancy in the UK is excellent. And as for visits after the baby is born, in spain there was none! Even though i had stitches etc and the baby was low birth weight i didn't see anyone when i was discharged.
Old May 13th 2009, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by rae
well, i've looked hard, but just looks to me like a very sad, and, personally to the o/p, distressing set of incidents that have affected her life, values and opinions. yes she goes off on one at the end, but hey, who is not guilty of that on here, i know i am. glasshouses i'm afraid.
Next time you buy a house make sure it is built of stone...mine is
Old May 13th 2009, 1:52 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Supremegermalene
No, I can't as the doctor says it's down to the HV to do the checks. If you had young kids and were in my position you would know that though and be in a better position to comment.

And, if you are going to nitpick, then there shouldn't be an apostrophe in doctors...

I'm off to have some adult discussion somewhere else.
Sorry for nitpicking but there can be an 'S' in doctor's.

The possessive is also used to refer to shops, restaurants, churches and colleges, using the name or job title of the owner. Examples:

the grocer's, the doctor's, the vet's,
the newsagent's, the chemist's, Smith's,
the dentist's, Tommy Tucker's, Luigi's,
Saint Mary's, Saint James's.
Old May 13th 2009, 2:17 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

You're all loopy.
Old May 13th 2009, 2:57 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Sorry for nitpicking but there can be an 'S' in doctor's.

The possessive is also used to refer to shops, restaurants, churches and colleges, using the name or job title of the owner. Examples:

the grocer's, the doctor's, the vet's,
the newsagent's, the chemist's, Smith's,
the dentist's, Tommy Tucker's, Luigi's,
Saint Mary's, Saint James's.
A thread was shut down on here the other day "Canada, anything else you would like to add" because we(I) were/was accused of turning it into a grammar lesson. The writing and grammar on there by certain individuals was beyond a joke It seems this thread, may well now go the same way.

Admittedly, the grammar and spelling errors on this thread, are still a world away from the illiteracy levels of the other.
Old May 13th 2009, 3:01 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
A thread was shut down on here the other day "Canada, anything else you would like to add" because we(I) were/was accused of turning it into a grammar lesson. The writing and grammar on there by certain individuals was beyond a joke It seems this thread, may well now go the same way.

Admittedly, the grammar and spelling errors on this thread, are still a world away from the illiteracy levels of the other.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to go on about grammar.

I just thought that I would point out that whilst mentioning somebody else's nitpicking, her own nitpicking back in turn was incorrect.

That's my nitpicking over for today -lol.
Old May 13th 2009, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

May I respectfully suggest that a MOD attach a warning to anyone coming across this thread for the first time NOT TO READ IT, as to do so is likely to inflict upon the reader an overwhelming desire to give up the will to live.....
Old May 13th 2009, 8:19 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Capitals and grammar are free by the way, even for the hoi polloi.
what a surprise, the old pick up on grammar, spelling and the like. i don't bother because i don't have to.

Changing The Subject (Digression, Red Herring, Misdirection, False Emphasis):
this is sometimes used to avoid having to defend a claim, or to avoid making good on a promise. In general, there is something you are not supposed to notice.
For example, I got a bill which had a big announcement about how some tax had gone up by 5%, and the costs would have to be passed on to me. But a quick calculation showed that the increased tax was only costing me a dime, while a different part of the the bill had silently gone up by $10.

This is connected to various diversionary tactics, which may be obstructive, obtuse, or needling. For example, if you quibble about the meaning of some word a person used, they may be quite happy about being corrected, since that means they've derailed you, or changed the subject. They may pick nits in your wording, perhaps asking you to define "is". They may deliberately misunderstand 'you'
Old May 13th 2009, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

If ever a thread needed a moderator to put it out of its misery, it's this one.
Old May 13th 2009, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Agreed. It's getting off subject a bit. I'm hot on grammar myself, but once you start getting down to the nitty-gritty of the genitive case on a thread about emigration, then it's time to go elsewhere for your kicks.

Last edited by MartianTom; May 13th 2009 at 8:58 pm.
Old May 13th 2009, 8:50 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
With 4,883 viewings it still seems to be a hot cookie nothing on the forum comes near it for hits. Brits like aggro whether if be football hooliganism, fisticuffs or girly handbag hitting.
Old May 13th 2009, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
With 4,883 viewings it still seems to be a hot cookie nothing on the forum comes near it for hits. Brits like aggro whether if be football hooliganism, fisticuffs or girly handbag hitting.

A woman is like a horse, she needs to know that she is being riden firm and strong.
Ooop! I think that should be 'ridden', Jules. Also, firmLY? StrongLY? Now I'm at it!
Old May 13th 2009, 9:01 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by MartianTom
Ooop! I think that should be 'ridden', Jules. Also, firmLY? StrongLY? Now I'm at it!
I didn`t write that as such, it was a quote copied.

I`m not imaginative enough to say such things.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.