Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to the UK - don't

Returning to the UK - don't

Old May 12th 2009, 4:53 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK - don't

The concept of cycles is an interesting read.

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article8800.html
Old May 12th 2009, 4:55 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Supremegermalene
Wow.

With regard to NHS, yes most things get dealt with fine. However, my Nan lived in Hampshire and died of Leukaemia last year. She was left with no care, someone popping in for 10 mins every other day...occasionally with some more nappies and bed sheets but my Mum was left to care for her (Mum has arthritis and is registered disabled) until she died. I couldn't help as I was about to give birth and it was really shocking. When someone dies of something like this they don't just slip away in their sleep. It's slow, painful, bodily fluids coming from everywhere it's shocking. And so much more shocking that no-one helped. Whether the care is better or worse anywhere else who knows, I think in every country it depends on where you live, but there is definitely a lack of support for the elderly in the UK (WHERE I LIVE). Anyone who saw the programme recently on TV about care companies also knows this.
G
Sorry you had such a bad experience. My mum died 3 years ago from lung cancer, in the main the health care was fantastic. There was the odd a'hole we encountered but they were definately in their minority, we just asked to speak to someone else.

Both my mum and dad have worked all their lives, my mum as a nurse in her early years before becoming a single mum with my too older brothers. For the last 25 years of her working life she worked in bingo halls and as a cleaner. My dad was a joiner.

My mum recieved chemo, radiotherapy, nurses to the house on a daily basis when she needed it, a hospital bed at home so she could sleep downstairs, a very kind doctor at the hospital, and hospice care for her last week (they were also wonderful to my dad, giving him a bed in the next room so he didn't have to leave).

If they had lived the same life in the US, no matter what part of the US, this level of care would not have been available as they simply would not have been able to afford it.

Most people take for granted the everyday normallity of having a child in the UK. As standard you get 2 scans, monthly/weekly monitoring by your midwife, classes, hospital care to deliver your baby, 1 week hospital care following a c-section or a couple of days after a natural delivery. Midwifes/doctors/health visitors come to see you daily for 10 days. How much do you think all that costs?

Its easy to slate the NHS, but in reality its a wonderful service, available to EVERYONE. Admitedly there are some bad eggs, and sometimes the system falls down, this happens in every country.

As a side note, I have a friend who's parents live in Portugal, when her mum was ill she came back to the UK as she said the treatment in Portugal was terrible.
Old May 12th 2009, 5:09 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

New to this forum but not new to BE or other forums. You think the OP knew the history with the Aussies bbq section? If they were new as they said they were, they would not know either - so maybe worth being a little more gentle? Not everyone is a troll!

I don't think they were wrong in posting what they did. The forum is not called 'Moving back to the UK - exclusively for those who are 'pro' moving' it's supposed to be a discussion forum to debate all sides, the reasons for and reasons against. The OP posted her experiences and I'm sorry if you don't like it because it's not what you think. Yes, they should have re-worded the title maybe (in hindsight) but the rest of the post is simply of the comparisons they have found with their life abroad.

I came on here to see why people are moving back, I'm sure there must be very valid reasons so if maybe people had replied with their experiences to give a balanced view of things it would have been helpful. Has anyone that replied moved back yet? I'd like to know what went wrong and why the UK is better.

G
Yes..me!! I moved back with OH 5 weeks ago! And what do you mean by a balanced view? Everything i posted was the truth.

We came back because 1. I missed my grandchildren 2. I realised I was scared stiff at the thought of being stuck in Australia in my old age and 3. I also realised after two trips back in the last 2yrs that the UK has a damn site more to offer than what a lot of the UK doom and gloomers say!

As for NHS. My husband is a forensic psych nurse with 23yrs experience. He has worked all over the world during that time, and he states quite categorically that the UK welfare and NHS system is the best he has worked in for patient care, even taking into account its flaws and shortcomings, and theres not that many out there who can say that from experience.

I dont think theres anyone on here who objects to opposing views and different experiences, but as i said before, espousing loudly that people should not return to the uk because YOU have bad experiences is unfair and hardly balanced either!

I still smell troll too!
Old May 12th 2009, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

I don't have great faith in the PT health care system either for personal reasons, I was just giving an example of how the UK NHS failed us as a family.

It used to be great midwife service here but having just had my 3rd child I can tell you now that in my area it has changed, midwives are stretched to the limits. My daughter is nearly one and a half and she hasn't had a health check since she was 6 weeks old! You get no home visits any more by the Health Visitors, and in the majority of areas you are only offered one scan now at 20 weeks. Gone are the supposed regular development checks, yes they give you the books telling you when they are supposed to be done but I haven't had them.

There are parts of the NHS service that are great but you don't get what you pay for anymore.
Old May 12th 2009, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Yes..me!! I moved back with OH 5 weeks ago! And what do you mean by a balanced view? Everything i posted was the truth.

We came back because 1. I missed my grandchildren 2. I realised I was scared stiff at the thought of being stuck in Australia in my old age and 3. I also realised after two trips back in the last 2yrs that the UK has a damn site more to offer than what a lot of the UK doom and gloomers say!

As for NHS. My husband is a forensic psych nurse with 23yrs experience. He has worked all over the world during that time, and he states quite categorically that the UK welfare and NHS system is the best he has worked in for patient care, even taking into account its flaws and shortcomings, and theres not that many out there who can say that from experience.

I dont think theres anyone on here who objects to opposing views and different experiences, but as i said before, espousing loudly that people should not return to the uk because YOU have bad experiences is unfair and hardly balanced either!

I still smell troll too!
I'm sorry I wasn't singleing anyone out though it seems to be taken that way. The majority of the responses were not informative.

I think you have valid reasons for coming back here, I couldn't ever move as far away as Australia either.

G
Old May 12th 2009, 5:22 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry I wasn't singleing anyone out though it seems to be taken that way. The majority of the responses were not informative.

I think you have valid reasons for coming back here, I couldn't ever move as far away as Australia either.

G
No worries. I dont mind even if you were singling me out I like lively debate
Old May 12th 2009, 5:27 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I think the NHS is a compromise. We get a pretty good service on whole which is free at source. We would get a better service if we paid 50% taxes like they do in some European countries.

One thing strikes me about the Brits - they want top quality healthcare but they don't want to pay for it.
Old May 12th 2009, 5:29 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
No worries. I dont mind even if you were singling me out I like lively debate
Can you imagine if we took the OP's advice

So glad we didn't
Old May 12th 2009, 5:30 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky

My mum recieved chemo, radiotherapy, nurses to the house on a daily basis when she needed it, a hospital bed at home so she could sleep downstairs, a very kind doctor at the hospital, and hospice care for her last week (they were also wonderful to my dad, giving him a bed in the next room so he didn't have to leave).

If they had lived the same life in the US, no matter what part of the US, this level of care would not have been available as they simply would not have been able to afford it.
I live in the USA and I have known 3 people who died of cancer within the last 5 years. They ALL got great care. One of them had a stem cell transplant. Two of them had home hospice, and one died before she got to that point. They were just ordinary people, with ordinary health insurance.
Old May 12th 2009, 5:30 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

You get no home visits by the Health Visitors, and in the majority of areas you are only offered one scan now at 20.
same as the USA then (in our experience).
Old May 12th 2009, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by elfman
same as the USA then (in our experience).
That's exactly the thing though, all opinions are based on people's experience and it totally depends on where you live in each country. Everyone has heard of the term 'postcode lottery' when it comes to what treatment you are able to get in the UK, such as for IVF and certain cancer drugs.

Hearing about the good stories is great, though upsetting that my Nan was so let down when she shouldn't have been and my Mum of course, she shouldn't have had to deal with it all being disabled herself.

Whether it's better to come back or not I think depends on where in the world you are, if I lived in the US or Australia I would miss my family too much, my Uncle & Aunt went to Oz when they were doing the £10 flights, I'd just been born, and I've seen them once in the past 35 years! Neither sides of the family have ever had enough money to visit. Moving to somewhere else in Europe though must be totally different, you can pop back whenever you like.

G

G
Old May 12th 2009, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Its hardly the last of its kind, most of europe has a similiar system.
Not really. The UK is relatively unique in having the medical services themselves provided largely by a government-run health service. A more common European model is for services to be provided privately (or mainly privately) with the government ensuring that everyone has access to healthcare regardless of their income (or lack thereof).
Old May 12th 2009, 5:43 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
I think the NHS is a compromise. We get a pretty good service on whole which is free at source. We would get a better service if we paid 50% taxes like they do in some European countries.

One thing strikes me about the Brits - they want top quality healthcare but they don't want to pay for it.
I think the UK should go the German route. They have a NHS system, but if you earn over a certain amount (I think it was the equivalent of #24k a few years ago). You had to pay private health cover, but this all went to the NHS and you were treated by the NHS when you needed treatment.

I don't remember the specifics and may have got this wrong but it was something I heard a while ago and thought it was a very good idea.
Old May 12th 2009, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory
I live in the USA and I have known 3 people who died of cancer within the last 5 years. They ALL got great care. One of them had a stem cell transplant. Two of them had home hospice, and one died before she got to that point. They were just ordinary people, with ordinary health insurance.
They had health insurance though. Doubtful my mum would have done.

I heard a case on the radio last week of a 30 year old woman who cleaned at the LAX, no health insurance offered for that kind of job. She said she was petrified, she had a lump in her breast which she has had for 18 months, both her mum and grandma had breast cancer. She cannot afford to go to the doctors. Please don't reply to me telling me all the routes she could take, Medicare... I know there are answers to these things. BUT in the UK, you wouldn't need to look for the answers, you could just go to your GP.
Old May 12th 2009, 5:48 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

That's exactly the thing though, all opinions are based on people's experience and it totally depends on where you live in each country.
and that's why the OP's posts have got everyone's backs up - she has extrapolated some of her personal experiences and a couple of cherry-picked media stories, presented them as some kind of definitive, unarguable picture of the UK, and then declared that nobody's opinions or experiences except hers were accurate, valid, or even worth acknowledging.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.