Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning? Did I ever leave?

Returning? Did I ever leave?

Old Aug 5th 2009, 10:30 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning? Did I ever leave?

Originally Posted by nutgrove
PART III

I should really be charging for this

Jobs in Spain found on the UK job centre & directgov website

Type in the box 'jobs in spain' (bloody thing times out)

http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/list...61833&p=1&so=1

Jobs in the UK found on the UK job centre website

Filter what you are looking for & key in your needs

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/Inte.../initialise.do

the minimum wage is just under £6.00/hr

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nmw/

McDonalds is paying an adult approx £6.00/hr

http://www.mcdcareers.co.uk/html/faq.htm

Take home pay should you work 35hrs/wk would be about £170/wk

You could do better possibly even find a second job at minimum wage. The question is would this be enough to pay the bills &/or interfere with your UK social life

then there is

http://www.ukjobsnet.co.uk/

http://www.fish4.co.uk/jobs/

UK Jobseekers allowance is currently I believe about £60/wk

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/...15272.xml.html
Its all very well giving the OP links to jobs in Spain etc but unless he has a particular skill or ability in mind its largely pointless. Given the current economic climate here, unless somebody is a Spanish national or commands a very good level of Spanish they are just not very employable.

Another option is to find a UK employer here but anybody decent is hard to find.

The OP`s best bet is to go back to the UK and claim benefits until he gets a job opening there.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 10:36 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katu
If you have moved to Spain as an initial holiday I presume that you have not claimed to be non-resident for certain tax purposes? If this is the case is the UK aware that you have been living abroad? Have you deregistered from your doctors, dentist, closed your bank account??

Because you have not become resident in Spain there is every chance you have been considered resident in the UK for the last three years, unless you have told the authorities otherwise?

If this is the case you will be entitled to everything that every other UK resident is entitled to. Although you may need to have a reason for not working for three years.....spiritual reawakening perchance??
There seems to be a lot of foreigners living in Spain in this purple patch that you have stated above. For example, many have not registered here or deregistered I imagine back in their own countries.

It seems that to not be legal here, is something of a trend.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

katu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nice

It seems that to not be legal here, is something of a trend.
I have never lived or spent more than a long weekend in Spain, so I am not one to comment on the situation there. But the British do seem to have a certain arrogance with regards to local registration rules (I do not exempt myself from this comment), especially where another language and being within the EU are concerned. I wonder whether they/we harbour an Imperialist-harking confidence or a "deport me then" attitude??

Either way I do know that the UK government is seriously trying to crack down on the overseas benefits cheats, of which there are, reportedly, thousands.

katu.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 11:36 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

I have never lived or spent more than a long weekend in Spain, so I am not one to comment on the situation there. But the British do seem to have a certain arrogance with regards to local registration rules (I do not exempt myself from this comment), especially where another language and being within the EU are concerned. I wonder whether they/we harbour an Imperialist-harking confidence or a "deport me then" attitude??
I think anybody coming to Spain should be afraid of the registration rules and all that seems to be involved in the process. The imperialist attitude is to be expected but will fade out gradually.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 11:46 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Either way I do know that the UK government is seriously trying to crack down on the overseas benefits cheats, of which there are, reportedly, thousands.
There always seems to be a large number of Brits here all year round, that seem to spend their days hanging around bars, drinking beer, smoking, watching sport on the big screen, engaging in terrible karaoke and telling tall- tales etc makes you wonder how they can afford it. Especially given the fact, that they seem to do this all day and not work at all. Does make you wonder where the money is coming from.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 11:48 pm

nutgrove is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Its all very well giving the OP links to jobs in Spain etc but unless he has a particular skill or ability in mind its largely pointless. Given the current economic climate here, unless somebody is a Spanish national or commands a very good level of Spanish they are just not very employable.

Another option is to find a UK employer here but anybody decent is hard to find.

The OP`s best bet is to go back to the UK and claim benefits until he gets a job opening there.
We have yet to see a response back from RCullen (the OP) to the last several posts, so I would reserve judgement on whether he/she is capable or really willing to move back to the UK under the current circumstances which we are not privvy to

likely the varied responses so far (unless the OP is pi$$ed) have confussed the living daylights out of them

We can all post our POV's give what we see as the best option, but in the end when the shit hits the fan the OP has to put the pedal to the metal & make that decision to do something that is right for them

My guess so far is that he/she will stay put in Spain working under the table for chump change and living freeloading with parents
Old Aug 5th 2009, 11:56 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

We have yet to see a response back from RCullen (the OP) to the last several posts, so I would reserve judgement on whether he/she is capable or really willing to move back to the UK under the current circumstances which we are not privvy to

likely the varied responses so far (unless the OP is pi$$ed) have confussed the living daylights out of them

We can all post our POV's give what we see as the best option, but in the end when the shit hits the fan the OP has to put the pedal to the metal & make that decision to do something that is right for them

My guess so far is that he/she will stay put in Spain working under the table for chump change and living freeloading with parents
I thought of the OP as a male but as this time of night I can often mistake their sex.

You know....freeloading from your parents is very much the norm in Spanish society, so somebody of 28 doing this here would not be frowned upon.

Last edited by Jules Europe; Aug 5th 2009 at 11:59 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 11:58 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

has to put the pedal to the metal
This is quite a cool phrase.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 12:08 am

This is quite a cool phrase.
surely you've heard that American slang before

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...l+to+the+metal

waiting with baited breath for the OP to respond to all of the last dozen or so posts

he/she has been sussed yer think

Last edited by nutgrove; Aug 6th 2009 at 12:15 am.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 12:10 am

I thought of the OP as a male but as this time of night I can often mistake their sex.

You know....freeloading from your parents is very much the norm in Spanish society, so somebody of 28 doing this here would not be frowned upon.
especially females, then of course mama's boys in Spain & Italy are just as bad ... right
Old Aug 6th 2009, 12:12 am

are you a night owl Jules?

This is bad for me, I'm turning this into chat ... whatever next
Old Aug 6th 2009, 12:23 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

surely you've heard that American slang before

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...l+to+the+metal

waiting with baited breath for the OP to respond to all of the last dozen or so posts

he/she has been sussed yer think
I`m pretty good with American slang and actually prefer it to its English counterpart.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 12:27 am

I`m pretty good with American slang and actually prefer it to its English counterpart.
at times its an excuse for many a screw up & I for one fall victim

like a nite owl buenos noches
Old Aug 6th 2009, 12:28 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

are you a night owl Jules?

This is bad for me, I'm turning this into chat ... whatever next
Not much of a night owl espcially when I have to work but as I`m on holidays I can be.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 12:33 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

at times its an excuse for many a screw up & I for one fall victim

like a nite owl buenos noches
"Night Owls" by the way, is one of the great Laurel and Hardy short films.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.