Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning? Did I ever leave?

Returning? Did I ever leave?

Old Aug 6th 2009, 10:24 am

nutgrove is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Returning? Did I ever leave?

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
I think anybody coming to Spain should be afraid of the registration rules and all that seems to be involved in the process. The imperialist attitude is to be expected but will fade out gradually.
Speaking of which, I wish the OP (RCullen) would provide us with some comments back to let us know how they are thinking & if they've made a decision 'go-no-go' based on the feedback here so far!
Old Aug 7th 2009, 4:58 am
Just Joined

rcullen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dingbat
Do get over yourself. You post saying you were unemployed when you went to Spain, have been on "holiday" for three years, therefore, by your own admission, continually unemployed for three years, and now want to go home. You have got exactly the same answer now from others, but with more detail and further suggestions. The basic response and suggested solution has been the same.

I tend to find adopting the "if you don't want a straight answer, don't ask the question" approach leads to less confusion all round. I have plenty of English friends in Spain btw, and none of them are unemployed.
There's a difference between a straight answer and an out and out rude one. Unfortunately it appears that common courtesy is becoming less and less the norm dingbat and as such I see you have adopted the idea that courtesy is surplus to requirements. Shall we say it´s not always what someone says, but how they say it.

Thankfully there have been one or two members who have offered more insight and moreso I´ve actually posted on a different ex pats forum where the posters seem to be less judgemental and more helpful.

As for the post from "nutgrove", freeloading would assume that I had not been contributing in any form, as mentioned before, I have spent my time assisting family with their own work while they were not able to do so due to medical issues which believe me has not been easy. Are the (a) Unsensitive (b) rude terms and (c) invalid terms really necessary when responding to someones post? It does not make for a welcoming introduction. While I do appreciate the helpful advice imparted in one or two of your posts, a decision like this and situation that I find myself in does not make me the best recipient of sarcasm and accusations. I can only assume this is something common relating to living in canada as both you and dingbat appear to be (although my apologies if this is an incorrect assumption).

So please let me take this opportunity to thank all of the people who offered helpful and most importantly friendly advice (dingbat you are most definately excluded from this list) but I shall not be making more than one or two more visits to this forum...
Old Aug 7th 2009, 10:58 am

well now ... shocked I am & all you could do was to pick out the "freeloading" bit

After all the effort of at least trying to help you, all I get is gobsmack comments back

I wish you all the best in whatever you decide to do & leave it at that shall we on extremely sensitive terms

BTW, helping ones ailing parents is forever a childs duty & responsibility & I would be interested to know what they are going to do or how they are going to cope should you leave

Last edited by nutgrove; Aug 7th 2009 at 11:07 am.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:16 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nutgrove
BTW, helping ones ailing parents is forever a childs duty & responsibility & I would be interested to know what they are going to do or how they are going to cope should you leave
This is actually a very relevant point to this whole debate.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:19 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rcullen
There's a difference between a straight answer and an out and out rude one. Unfortunately it appears that common courtesy is becoming less and less the norm dingbat and as such I see you have adopted the idea that courtesy is surplus to requirements. Shall we say it´s not always what someone says, but how they say it.

Thankfully there have been one or two members who have offered more insight and moreso I´ve actually posted on a different ex pats forum where the posters seem to be less judgemental and more helpful.

As for the post from "nutgrove", freeloading would assume that I had not been contributing in any form, as mentioned before, I have spent my time assisting family with their own work while they were not able to do so due to medical issues which believe me has not been easy. Are the (a) Unsensitive (b) rude terms and (c) invalid terms really necessary when responding to someones post? It does not make for a welcoming introduction. While I do appreciate the helpful advice imparted in one or two of your posts, a decision like this and situation that I find myself in does not make me the best recipient of sarcasm and accusations. I can only assume this is something common relating to living in canada as both you and dingbat appear to be (although my apologies if this is an incorrect assumption).

So please let me take this opportunity to thank all of the people who offered helpful and most importantly friendly advice (dingbat you are most definately excluded from this list) but I shall not be making more than one or two more visits to this forum...
I think Nutgrove has given you some good advice, with a lot of good links to check out and get you started.

As for posters being judgemental, well given that society as a whole is judgemental, this should really come as no surprise to you.

Where in Spain are you based?
Old Aug 7th 2009, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
I think Nutgrove has given you some good advice, with a lot of good links to check out and get you started.

As for posters being judgemental, well given that society as a whole is judgemental, this should really come as no surprise to you.

Where in Spain are you based?

Just found these posts, very interesting. Did we ever find out if rcullen was male or female? Not that it matters..............I agree society as a whole is judgemental, but on the other hand, it's all perspective, aren't we just being honest? BTW something I sooooo miss out here in the US where people in general are too worried about being failures and losing self esteem to speak the truth, unlike us thick skinned, upfront, downright English folks! (I am from the North originally so speak for Northerners only!) Anyway, I think people who think they are being judged when they read these posts are taking them way too personally and that's their problem alone. That is some big ego and insecurity deal if anyone thinks their character can be judged by a complete stranger! Not that I am the most secure person in the world!
Old Aug 7th 2009, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by aes1
Just found these posts, very interesting. Did we ever find out if rcullen was male or female? Not that it matters..............I agree society as a whole is judgemental, but on the other hand, it's all perspective, aren't we just being honest?
only when it suits some, then folks like me get gobsmacked for being up front & trying to be helpful (my downfall)

BTW something I sooooo miss out here in the US where people in general are too worried about being failures and losing self esteem to speak the truth, unlike us thick skinned, upfront, downright English folks! (I am from the North originally so speak for Northerners only!)
not to confuse being "thick skinned" with being 'as thick as a brick'

could not resist that

Sometimes, I wish that I was a born Brit. My only claim to anything British is my Mum, Hubby & having lived a childhood (58-66) just outside Liverpool

Anyway, I think people who think they are being judged when they read these posts are taking them way too personally and that's their problem alone. That is some big ego and insecurity deal if anyone thinks their character can be judged by a complete stranger! Not that I am the most secure person in the world!
Age has its merits

Insecure is my observation of RCullen & lets leave it at that
Old Aug 7th 2009, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nutgrove
only when it suits some, then folks like me get gobsmacked for being up front & trying to be helpful (my downfall)

not to confuse being "thick skinned" with being 'as thick as a brick'

could not resist that

Sometimes, I wish that I was a born Brit. My only claim to anything British is my Mum, Hubby & having lived a childhood (58-66) just outside Liverpool

Age has its merits

Insecure is my observation of RCullen & lets leave it at that
Well said. And smart woman for marrying a Brit!!!