Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning? Did I ever leave?

Returning? Did I ever leave?

Old Aug 5th 2009, 5:45 am
Just Joined

rcullen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning? Did I ever leave?

Ok, I have a bit of a quandry for you all I came over to Spain initially on a holiday while between jobs to visit my parents and they recommended that I stay for a bit to see if I would like to move here and start a new life...

Well... I´ve been here in Spain now for about 3 years and really I don´t want to be here any longer... I miss the UK for reasons that I have.. but I´m a little confused...

Because I have been basically living here on holiday for 3 years, I never registered as a Spanish citizen.. at the same time I´ve not even thought about what this could do to my social security status until now .

Now I am looking to move back to the UK and get a job, which would mean going to the job center and signing on there.. where does this leave me? I think a friend is willing to put me up for the time being.. but I´m really stuck and worried now (thanks to worrysome friends) that this is going to be very difficult or I´m going to be refused certain services and benefits...

I should state that I am not going back to the UK in order to obtain benefits... I fully intend to obtain a job as quickly as is possible and have never claimed benefits in my life.....

but really I´m now a little worried that if things don´t got according to plan I´m going to be stuck between a rock and a hard place....

Advice please!! for some information I am 28 this year and apart from the last 3 years helping out and living with my parents I´ve always been employed and paid into the system....
Old Aug 5th 2009, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning? Did I ever leave?

Depending on what you're willing to do for a job!You may strike it lucky and secure work before going down the benefit route!I would only use the benefit route as a plan B myself,afterall you've been on holiday for 3 years!Lucky you!
Old Aug 5th 2009, 6:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Depending on what you're willing to do for a job!You may strike it lucky and secure work before going down the benefit route!I would only use the benefit route as a plan B myself,afterall you've been on holiday for 3 years!Lucky you!
The big problem is with things like housing and accomodation.. obviously I am going to be able to stay with a friend for a few weeks, but my family all live in Spain now... so should my friend decide that I had outstayed my welcome I would be caught between a rock and a hard place, hence asking about the benefits issue... not to mention whether I am still entitiled to healthcare etc...
Old Aug 5th 2009, 6:59 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rcullen
The big problem is with things like housing and accomodation.. obviously I am going to be able to stay with a friend for a few weeks, but my family all live in Spain now... so should my friend decide that I had outstayed my welcome I would be caught between a rock and a hard place, hence asking about the benefits issue... not to mention whether I am still entitiled to healthcare etc...
Take enough money with you so that you don't hit either the rock or the hard place. If you don't have the money to tide you over - stay put in Spain (where you can work anyway, not sure why you didn't for three years....?) and earn some cash and recent employment experience to make you an attractive potential employee. There's a thought.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 7:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dingbat
Take enough money with you so that you don't hit either the rock or the hard place. If you don't have the money to tide you over - stay put in Spain (where you can work anyway, not sure why you didn't for three years....?) and earn some cash and recent employment experience to make you an attractive potential employee. There's a thought.
This seems a little bit like a completely unhelpful, cynical response, which really is not requested :/ how many people do you know that would be in the situation of having pleanty of money hanging around atm? especially after not having a paying job for 3 years... Lets add to this the "how long is a piece of string" argument.. How long is tiding me over? could this be 1 week and I get a job or 1 year until it happens, are you aware of where my friend lives or what the job market is like there?... I prefer to be informed (hence the asking for information) rather than just to assume and do. As for why I didn't work for 3 years here, you neither know what has been occupying my time here for 3 years nor where in spain I am living and what the job market is like, but ultimately I did have enough money when i got here and although it isn´t really of any relivance, I was helping out my family as there have been many medical issues requiring them to need assistance with everyday living... Things are better now and I am looking to go back to the UK, but my parents are neither in a position to help me should things go bad. This doesn´t even include possible issues at home here that could be forcing me back to the UK.

So I suppose, in summation either please be helpful with information rather than coming across with a berating tone if you are to reply. While I understand that it is very easy to mistake the meaning of text without the vocal inflections sometimes, this does appear quite clear in this instance.

As for the job market, again do you really think if there were pleanty of opportunities for employment here I would be looking to head back to the UK now?. Please use a little rationality...

After hearing many welcoming recommendations to this forum for help and information, I have to say this was not what I was intending to wake up to. Sometimes people might not wish to air either their family or personal issues and reasons for requesting information, but generally I tend to find adopting the "If you have nothing helpful or nice to say then hold your peace" leads to a much greater level of acceptance, frienship and friendliness from people.

Last edited by rcullen; Aug 5th 2009 at 7:27 am.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

I personally don't know anyone who is unemployed at the moment(I'm in the UK)although obviously there are alot of people who are!It depends what kind of work you intend to do!If you're willing to do just about anything then you should be able to secure work fairly quick.My daughter who is home from uni secured a fulltime job,in a supermarket,she's not fussy what she does as a job,she just wants the cash!There has been alot of past posts about health care ect after returning to the UK so perhaps use the search button and have a look,you should find some answers!Accomodation wise,you should'nt have a problem,although don't expect the council to help you out (I'm not implying you'll ask them either)If you want social housing be prepared for a long wait!You might find someone who is looking to share accomo?Where abouts are you planning to live?Good luck and hope it all works out for you!
Old Aug 5th 2009, 8:58 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

You are in a good position to return to the UK. You've got a place to stay, have a friend who can give you some support.

The only problem is fixing up with a job.

If you have your resume up to date. Could you friend look at the local paper for jobs/recruitment agencies? He / she could fax/email to you? You could start your job hunt now. They say - it's a job to get a job.

But really if you are determined to settle back in the UK, just give it your best and be positive.

Where in the UK are you going? And what is your work experience?

You'll alway have people giving well meaning advice which can seem negative and could knock your confidence.

All the best.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 10:56 am

nutgrove is an unknown quantity at this point

Well... I´ve been here in Spain now for about 3 years and really I don´t want to be here any longer... I miss the UK for reasons that I have.. but I´m a little confused...

Because I have been basically living here on holiday for 3 years, I never registered as a Spanish citizen.. at the same time I´ve not even thought about what this could do to my social security status until now .

Now I am looking to move back to the UK and get a job, which would mean going to the job center and signing on there.. where does this leave me? I think a friend is willing to put me up for the time being.. but I´m really stuck and worried now (thanks to worrysome friends) that this is going to be very difficult or I´m going to be refused certain services and benefits...

I should state that I am not going back to the UK in order to obtain benefits... I fully intend to obtain a job as quickly as is possible and have never claimed benefits in my life.....

but really I´m now a little worried that if things don´t got according to plan I´m going to be stuck between a rock and a hard place....

Advice please!! for some information I am 28 this year and apart from the last 3 years helping out and living with my parents I´ve always been employed and paid into the system....
This is not going to be a nice response, but I'll try to be as frank as I can

1. At the moment you appear to have all the comforts of home with no responsibilities & at 28 looks like one tough decision to leave your parents in spain & return back to the UK which now you will need to completely stand independant on your own two feet

2. After 3-years should you make the decision to go back it would be almost like starting afresh - starting over, even though you're originally from there.

3. Well my observation is going abck 'you'd have to think like an immigrant' & no turning back

4. You said your idea was to go get a job, not to sponge off the system like so many others do, live with a friend for a short while and make a go of it

5. I'll map the plan for you

a) Make an initial one-two week trip, ask friends if you can stay with them, then the journey begins (test run)

b) Fresh CV in hand down to the job centre and start the hunt. See what you can get based on your skills, see if what you would earn will pay all the bills

c) If b) does not work, then consider a period in which you would have enough cash to sustain you for several months while job searching. You'll need cash for rent, expenses etc.

If 5a - 5c is workable for you, then get on your horse move your ar$e & make that move. Unless you try you wont know if it will work or not & all the worrying in the world wont solve your dilemma (will it)

In the end if all does not work out you could always go back to Spain and live with your parents (a bad choice me thinks)

I would like to suggest something to you by asking you to put the shoe on the other foot and think what you would say to a friend if they asked the same question that you did in the opening post
Old Aug 5th 2009, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Now I am looking to move back to the UK and get a job, which would mean going to the job center and signing on there.. where does this leave me?

I think a friend is willing to put me up for the time being.. but I´m really stuck and worried now

Not sure why there are so many worries in your post, you can actually access the job centre web site from Spain plus the million and one other job sites, why not start from there and apply for jobs before you go and judge the response?

You dont say what you did before your long vacation nor which area your friend lives as this might help other members to be able to offer advice.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

slidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by nutgrove
This is not going to be a nice response, but I'll try to be as frank as I can

1. At the moment you appear to have all the comforts of home with no responsibilities & at 28 looks like one tough decision to leave your parents in spain & return back to the UK which now you will need to completely stand independant on your own two feet

2. After 3-years should you make the decision to go back it would be almost like starting afresh - starting over, even though you're originally from there.

3. Well my observation is going abck 'you'd have to think like an immigrant' & no turning back

4. You said your idea was to go get a job, not to sponge off the system like so many others do, live with a friend for a short while and make a go of it

5. I'll map the plan for you

a) Make an initial one-two week trip, ask friends if you can stay with them, then the journey begins (test run)

b) Fresh CV in hand down to the job centre and start the hunt. See what you can get based on your skills, see if what you would earn will pay all the bills

c) If b) does not work, then consider a period in which you would have enough cash to sustain you for several months while job searching. You'll need cash for rent, expenses etc.

If 5a - 5c is workable for you, then get on your horse move your ar$e & make that move. Unless you try you wont know if it will work or not & all the worrying in the world wont solve your dilemma (will it)

In the end if all does not work out you could always go back to Spain and live with your parents (a bad choice me thinks)

I would like to suggest something to you by asking you to put the shoe on the other foot and think what you would say to a friend if they asked the same question that you did in the opening post
Love it - you put my own thoughts in better words
Old Aug 5th 2009, 4:47 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

This seems a little bit like a completely unhelpful, cynical response, which really is not requested :/ how many people do you know that would be in the situation of having pleanty of money hanging around atm? especially after not having a paying job for 3 years... Lets add to this the "how long is a piece of string" argument.. How long is tiding me over? could this be 1 week and I get a job or 1 year until it happens, are you aware of where my friend lives or what the job market is like there?... I prefer to be informed (hence the asking for information) rather than just to assume and do. As for why I didn't work for 3 years here, you neither know what has been occupying my time here for 3 years nor where in spain I am living and what the job market is like, but ultimately I did have enough money when i got here and although it isn´t really of any relivance, I was helping out my family as there have been many medical issues requiring them to need assistance with everyday living... Things are better now and I am looking to go back to the UK, but my parents are neither in a position to help me should things go bad. This doesn´t even include possible issues at home here that could be forcing me back to the UK.

So I suppose, in summation either please be helpful with information rather than coming across with a berating tone if you are to reply. While I understand that it is very easy to mistake the meaning of text without the vocal inflections sometimes, this does appear quite clear in this instance.

As for the job market, again do you really think if there were pleanty of opportunities for employment here I would be looking to head back to the UK now?. Please use a little rationality...

After hearing many welcoming recommendations to this forum for help and information, I have to say this was not what I was intending to wake up to. Sometimes people might not wish to air either their family or personal issues and reasons for requesting information, but generally I tend to find adopting the "If you have nothing helpful or nice to say then hold your peace" leads to a much greater level of acceptance, frienship and friendliness from people.
Do get over yourself. You post saying you were unemployed when you went to Spain, have been on "holiday" for three years, therefore, by your own admission, continually unemployed for three years, and now want to go home. You have got exactly the same answer now from others, but with more detail and further suggestions. The basic response and suggested solution has been the same.

I tend to find adopting the "if you don't want a straight answer, don't ask the question" approach leads to less confusion all round. I have plenty of English friends in Spain btw, and none of them are unemployed.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 5:37 pm

Ok, I have a bit of a quandry for you all I came over to Spain initially on a holiday while between jobs to visit my parents and they recommended that I stay for a bit to see if I would like to move here and start a new life...

Part II response

some observations & questions

6, how have you supported yourself while living what looks to me as being the life of reilly in Spain?

a) How do you spend the days, weeks & months?
b) Did you work at all, if so doing what & how did you spend the money - did you save any?
c) Have you acquired any new skills in Spain that would be transferable to the move back to the UK (other than freeloading)
d) What kind of work did you do in the UK before leaving & which part of the UK do you originate from & would plan to go back to?
e) Did you give your parents any financial or otherwise support for your lodgings - or where you living outside of their accomodations?
f) Was it really just a long holiday, you getting blathered lots (gobsmacked question) or are you at the reality point in your life (before you get too old) to make that leap of faith?
g) Or is it simply your parents have told you to get out or is it not working out any longer, too many fights at home?
h) What about friends in Spain, do you have any that are from the UK that work & support themselves without family support?

Before you blast back pi$$y at me - I can relate to everything that I have posted to you on this thread

This is all to try to answer your questions in the opening post (some responses are not pleasant) & get a sense of whether you are able to or can make the grade & to support you in your quest (indecisiveness) - so dont take it the wrong way ... please
Old Aug 5th 2009, 5:55 pm

I should state that I am not going back to the UK in order to obtain benefits... I fully intend to obtain a job as quickly as is possible and have never claimed benefits in my life....
PART III

I should really be charging for this

Jobs in Spain found on the UK job centre & directgov website

Type in the box 'jobs in spain' (bloody thing times out)

http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/list...61833&p=1&so=1

Jobs in the UK found on the UK job centre website

Filter what you are looking for & key in your needs

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/Inte.../initialise.do

the minimum wage is just under £6.00/hr

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nmw/

McDonalds is paying an adult approx £6.00/hr

http://www.mcdcareers.co.uk/html/faq.htm

Take home pay should you work 35hrs/wk would be about £170/wk

You could do better possibly even find a second job at minimum wage. The question is would this be enough to pay the bills &/or interfere with your UK social life

then there is

http://www.ukjobsnet.co.uk/

http://www.fish4.co.uk/jobs/

UK Jobseekers allowance is currently I believe about £60/wk

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/...15272.xml.html

Last edited by nutgrove; Aug 5th 2009 at 7:15 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

katu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nice

If you have moved to Spain as an initial holiday I presume that you have not claimed to be non-resident for certain tax purposes? If this is the case is the UK aware that you have been living abroad? Have you deregistered from your doctors, dentist, closed your bank account??

Because you have not become resident in Spain there is every chance you have been considered resident in the UK for the last three years, unless you have told the authorities otherwise?

If this is the case you will be entitled to everything that every other UK resident is entitled to. Although you may need to have a reason for not working for three years.....spiritual reawakening perchance??
Old Aug 5th 2009, 10:23 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
Do get over yourself. You post saying you were unemployed when you went to Spain, have been on "holiday" for three years, therefore, by your own admission, continually unemployed for three years, and now want to go home. You have got exactly the same answer now from others, but with more detail and further suggestions. The basic response and suggested solution has been the same.

I tend to find adopting the "if you don't want a straight answer, don't ask the question" approach leads to less confusion all round. I have plenty of English friends in Spain btw, and none of them are unemployed.
Just because your friends are not unemployed, does not mean jobs are abundant here in Spain. Spain traditionally has one of the highest unemployment rates in Europe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.