Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Recommended Villages/Small towns to move back to in U

Recommended Villages/Small towns to move back to in U

Old Nov 24th 2009, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommended Villages/Small towns to move back to in U

Originally Posted by Dessiree
Brockenhurst in the new forest. Everything you need in one village although has good bus links if needs be. Added bonus - right on the edge of new forest and you get the ponies wandering about up the high street. Absolutely lovely.
It is beautiful there - it also has good rail links too - we sometimes used to take the train from Bournemouth out to Brockenhurst for a night out - good pub crawl then get the last train home
Old Nov 24th 2009, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

ex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Stormer999
One area to be very careful with is proposed expansion planning. Due to our rapid growth as part of Europe new housing is being built at an alarming rate. One small town edge village near us is planned for 15,000 new homes in the next few years! View the future plans for your chosen patch and also new road structures needed to accommodate the extra traffic!
Good heads up Stormer. Where is this happening though???
Old Nov 24th 2009, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

huddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Bevm
Heysham is lovely, but both Morecambe and Heysham have the road problem of having to get over the bridge in Lancaster to get anywhere. A nightmare in rush hour, especially with the heavy traffic to the Heysham docks and the possible plans for a new nuclear power station there. Not problems with the power station per se, but it'll all be busier.

They're promising a new bridge, but I gather they've been promising it for ages.

I was there recently, visiting my old home town of Morecambe.

Whitby is special, but it's a bit cut off. Only train's to Middlebrough, and because it ambles the moors it takes an hour and a half. Pleasant enough trip if you're not in a hurry, but only 2 a day each way, I think. Buses to there, Scarborough, and York, but also slow.

Bev
Bev

I stayed in the Midland last month. Nice art deco hotel. Quite expensive, but company picked up the bill

My grandmother lives Heysham. It is part of the UK we have considered moving too. I would keep away from Morecambe, but there are plenty of nice villages in that area.

I also live for 2 years in a village near Oxford when we returned from Canada. It was safe place for our boys and no " Daily Mail" yobs to bother us. We had a bus to Oxford every 30 minutes.

We currently live in SE Kent on the outskirts of Dover. Lots of nice villages between Dover, Deal and Canterbury.

With the new high speed train I am looking just over an hour to London, so considering taking a management role in London and living in SE Kent still.

Hudd
Old Nov 25th 2009, 11:12 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex brummy
Good heads up Stormer. Where is this happening though???
South Leamington Spa a small satellite village Bishops Tachbrook is about to be eaten up by new proposed housing development.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Stormer999
South Leamington Spa a small satellite village Bishops Tachbrook is about to be eaten up by new proposed housing development.
Blimey.,.......Leamington was always considered to be up-market as I can recall..this will fetch the values down won't it?
Old Nov 25th 2009, 5:35 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relocateme
Blimey.,.......Leamington was always considered to be up-market as I can recall..this will fetch the values down won't it?
Been massive developments in this area since the M40 London link opened. That includes all of the lovely towns on its route Banbury etc. England has to provide a massive increase in housing to meet the requirements of our population increase. Thanks to the Europe intake!
Old Nov 25th 2009, 5:59 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Market Rasen in Lincolnshire. Small town, but has lots of small family shops plus a couple of supermarkets. Good regular bus and train services + several shopping trips a week, and a daily. Mon to Fri bus service to Louth, which has a great market, and loads of award winning food shops.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 12:54 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Market Rasen in Lincolnshire. Small town, but has lots of small family shops plus a couple of supermarkets. Good regular bus and train services + several shopping trips a week, and a daily. Mon to Fri bus service to Louth, which has a great market, and loads of award winning food shops.
Where would be the closest town to find work? Sounds like my kind of place to live.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 3:28 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CBANDY
Where would be the closest town to find work? Sounds like my kind of place to live.
Lincoln, Scunthorpe, Grimsby, all 15 to 20 miles away.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 5:17 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Louth is lovely....always fancied living there myself and only around 30-40 mins to skeggy.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

ex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really nice

Originally Posted by sans
Louth is lovely....always fancied living there myself and only around 30-40 mins to skeggy.
Just an overview. This year OH and I went to Rutland as part of our holiday. In case you dont know (and we didn't) it's the smallest county in the UK; has three main villages - Oakham, Uppington and Stamford. It was an amazing place. Oakhame won the East Midlands "in bloom" competition for the year. It was like stepping back in time. Even has old stocks in the market centre and old castle. Barnsdale Gardens was featured on Gardening World. It was just like another world. Narrow streets particuarly in Stamford. Beautiful but I would imagine it's a place for retirees - Seriously considering this, adjoins beautiful countryside as on the fringe of Nothamptonshire, Leicestershire. Has train services to all major cities including London. Cant judge jus by one week though so will include in our reccie next year. Anybody else been there? Opinions would be very welcome.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex brummy
Oakham, Uppington and Stamford.
Tis indeed lovely and no not just populated by oldies - many, many wealthy young families - commuting into London too from Stamford would you believe! All afore mentioned towns have excellent reputations for schools. House prices vary but would lean towards the higher end I'd guess. Burleigh Horse Trials in September each year is worth a trip for anyone interested in some fantastic shopping! *and Pimms!

oh and Market Rasen has an excellent rugby team (based on our best man/god father to my son being captain of course!)
Old Nov 29th 2009, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Try Lytham and the surrounding villages on the way towards Preston
Safe, calming and very relaxed with some good pubs. Very much kids and family orientated

Avoid St Annes next door; its known as Gods waiting room for a very good reason