Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

22 years in Asia now moving back!!!!

22 years in Asia now moving back!!!!

Old Nov 26th 2009, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

anglogirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 22 years in Asia now moving back!!!!

Hi,

I left the UK and became an expat brat when I was 12yrs old, my parents lived in Singapore and I have since married and been in asia for around 22yrs.

As with all things, nothing is permanent and now I am seriously considering moving back to the UK, only this time, I will be a single mother with 2 young boys...our main reason is purely financial, we can;t afford to stay in Asia as the school fees are astronomical!!

My parents live in North Wales so we are thinking of heading back there first at least to get used to the UK lifestyle and weather first!!

My main concerns include racism (as my boys are mixed) and also their intergration into the schools. They will both go to primary to begin with, but I am just wondering what, if anything, there is to look out for???? Do I get to chose where they can go or is it all postcode based??

Also, my youngest son was born in Asia so apart from having a British Passport has absolutely no ties to the UK at all...I am sure there are loads of things he needs to have done ie nhs numbers etc...HELP!!!!

I would value any advice in helping this transition be a smooth one?? I am pretty scared about moving and living in now what seems to be a "foreign" country!!
Thanks
Old Nov 27th 2009, 2:00 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: 22 years in Asia now moving back!!!!

Originally Posted by anglogirl
Hi,

I left the UK and became an expat brat when I was 12yrs old, my parents lived in Singapore and I have since married and been in asia for around 22yrs.

As with all things, nothing is permanent and now I am seriously considering moving back to the UK, only this time, I will be a single mother with 2 young boys...our main reason is purely financial, we can;t afford to stay in Asia as the school fees are astronomical!!

My parents live in North Wales so we are thinking of heading back there first at least to get used to the UK lifestyle and weather first!!

My main concerns include racism (as my boys are mixed) and also their intergration into the schools. They will both go to primary to begin with, but I am just wondering what, if anything, there is to look out for???? Do I get to chose where they can go or is it all postcode based??

Also, my youngest son was born in Asia so apart from having a British Passport has absolutely no ties to the UK at all...I am sure there are loads of things he needs to have done ie nhs numbers etc...HELP!!!!

I would value any advice in helping this transition be a smooth one?? I am pretty scared about moving and living in now what seems to be a "foreign" country!!
Thanks
The very first thing you need to consider is: will your ex allow the children to leave Malaysia and live in the UK and have you got this in writing? Do you have sole custody of them?

How old are your sons? Children usually adapt well to a move and they obviously are fluent in English. Have they been attending an international school....if so they will adapt well to living in the UK. Your youngest son *does* have ties to the UK - they are you and his grandparents.

I wouldn't worry about racism - the UK is more tolerant than virtually every other country. You say they are mixed, are they half Malay or half Chinese? I'm just wondering if they are being brought up as Muslims as you may wish to live near a mosque....don't know how many there are in N Wales?
Old Nov 27th 2009, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

larrysolberg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 22 years in Asia now moving back!!!!

Originally Posted by anglogirl
Hi,

Thanks
Hi Anglo girl,

I think you are doing the right thing and strongly support your idea of going back. My own mother took the unfortunate decision of not going back to Europe when my father passed away in Thailand when I was 7. This is not the same situation as yours but you and your kids may face some of the same problems I had and am now living with as a consequence. I don't want to go into details but I can say that unless you have strong family roots and support along with a social sense of belonging in the society you live in, things may become more difficult. I know its about school fees now but it could be about a lot more later. I don't often post but having seen your message I could not resist. The rascism back home will probably be ALOT less. Really hope things work out for you. All the best
Old Nov 27th 2009, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

ruthmac is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey anglogirl,

I have just moved back to Scotland after 25 years in Asia (indonesia), so I have an idea of what you're going through. We've been back 3 months now, and the children (mixed) have settled down great at secondary school. No problems with racism at all. They couldn't be happier. They have Brit passports but had never been here before.

NHS and all that was easy. Just went down to the local medical centre and registered the whole family. Told the tax man I was back..which took a bit of time to sort out, but that's done now. Applied for child benefit, which is being sorted out now.

Applied and got National Insurance numbers for my husband (indonesian) and 18 yr old son (british). Son is now looking for a job, husband is self employed.

We live in a small market town and people couldn't have been friendlier or more welcoming.

ruthmac
Old Nov 29th 2009, 10:12 am
Just Joined

sammyz has much to be proud ofsammyz has much to be proud ofsammyz has much to be proud ofsammyz has much to be proud ofsammyz has much to be proud ofsammyz has much to be proud ofsammyz has much to be proud ofsammyz has much to be proud ofsammyz has much to be proud ofsammyz has much to be proud ofsammyz has much to be proud of

Hiya Anglogirl!
We're saving to move back to the UK as soon as we can afford it.Living in Japan at the moment.Hubby is japanese so my three kids are half. We want to return to the UK to be near my family,we're having issues with my kids fitting into society over here and education costs an arm and a leg.Japanese society is quite rigid and anyone who is 'different' can have a tough time of it. So we're going back 'home'.

I have friends who have moved back to the UK with their japanese hubbies and kids,they are all doing well and the kids have easily adapted to the UK life!I still worry though.....a cross for mummies all over to bear!

Wish you tons of luck! I am sure you'll be okay!

Sammy & Clan in Tokyo