British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Recommended Villages/Small towns to move back to in U (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/recommended-villages-small-towns-move-back-u-641724/)

aes1 Nov 22nd 2009 9:47 am

Recommended Villages/Small towns to move back to in U

Many of us planning on returning to the UK seem to be looking at areas with which they are unfamiliar after a long absence abroad. I thought it might be helpful to have a separate thread where those in the know can post their recommendations for suitable areas. I am thinking of smaller towns or villages that are friendly and safe, especially for older expats, and with access to good public transport, as so many of us won't have access to a car, at least immediately upon return, or choose not to drive. So, this is for those who already know of such places, or who have already moved back to them. Thanks.:)

Mummy in the foothills Nov 22nd 2009 10:27 am

Re: Recommended Villages/Small towns to move back to in U

I liked Heysham near Morcambe, it was lovely

Stormer999 Nov 22nd 2009 11:38 pm

The villages in Warwickshire have been hit hard as far as public transport is concerned. Usually looking at 1 bus out in the early morning and 1 back in the evening. The doctors surgeries have now greatly dissapeared to give way to combined Medical Clinics these being situated in the largest town. All a matter of cost cutting. Getting shopping delivered is a choice but getting a doctors call out is extremely difficult.

jonfrank123 Nov 23rd 2009 12:51 am

I've moved back to the UK and am trying out village life in a place called Bampton in West Oxfordshire. There is no crime and it is picture postcard on the edge of the Cotswolds. However you only get a bus every hour, but it does go right into the centre of Oxford, my wife uses it to commute and it's pretty reliable.

The other good thing about this village is that it has a bank, post office, supermarket, butcher etc. So I'd recommend it here..

Bevm Nov 23rd 2009 2:59 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 8117491)
I liked Heysham near Morcambe, it was lovely

Heysham is lovely, but both Morecambe and Heysham have the road problem of having to get over the bridge in Lancaster to get anywhere. A nightmare in rush hour, especially with the heavy traffic to the Heysham docks and the possible plans for a new nuclear power station there. Not problems with the power station per se, but it'll all be busier.

They're promising a new bridge, but I gather they've been promising it for ages.

I was there recently, visiting my old home town of Morecambe.

Whitby is special, but it's a bit cut off. Only train's to Middlebrough, and because it ambles the moors it takes an hour and a half. Pleasant enough trip if you're not in a hurry, but only 2 a day each way, I think. Buses to there, Scarborough, and York, but also slow.

Bev

Stormer999 Nov 23rd 2009 3:38 am

Originally Posted by jonfrank123 (Post 8118691)
I've moved back to the UK and am trying out village life in a place called Bampton in West Oxfordshire. There is no crime and it is picture postcard on the edge of the Cotswolds. However you only get a bus every hour, but it does go right into the centre of Oxford, my wife uses it to commute and it's pretty reliable.

The other good thing about this village is that it has a bank, post office, supermarket, butcher etc. So I'd recommend it here..

Go for Bampton:thumbsup: it's got three pubs so you can afford to get banned from 2!;)

jonfrank123 Nov 23rd 2009 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 8119061)
Go for Bampton:thumbsup: it's got three pubs so you can afford to get banned from 2!;)

Just don't get banned from the Morris Clown, thats the best one.

aes1 Nov 23rd 2009 7:20 am

Thanks for all the recommendations so far!!! Please keep them coming, most valuable!!!

northernbird Nov 23rd 2009 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Bevm (Post 8118964)
Heysham is lovely, but both Morecambe and Heysham have the road problem of having to get over the bridge in Lancaster to get anywhere. A nightmare in rush hour, especially with the heavy traffic to the Heysham docks and the possible plans for a new nuclear power station there. Not problems with the power station per se, but it'll all be busier.

They're promising a new bridge, but I gather they've been promising it for ages.

I was there recently, visiting my old home town of Morecambe.

Whitby is special, but it's a bit cut off. Only train's to Middlebrough, and because it ambles the moors it takes an hour and a half. Pleasant enough trip if you're not in a hurry, but only 2 a day each way, I think. Buses to there, Scarborough, and York, but also slow.

Bev

The lovely Greyhound bridge!!! It is my home area too and I have spent many an hour stuck on a bus in traffic to college and then work! My aunt and uncle live in Heysham and it is beautiful although it takes an age to get anywhere and sadly these days Morecambe is an absolute hole!

janeyk Nov 23rd 2009 11:40 am

Kislingbury, Bugbrooke Northants are lovely not sure on public transport thoughas some yrs since lived there for a small town Bicester is not bad on the edge of the cotswolds

Stormer999 Nov 23rd 2009 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by aes1 (Post 8119645)
Thanks for all the recommendations so far!!! Please keep them coming, most valuable!!!

One area to be very careful with is proposed expansion planning. Due to our rapid growth as part of Europe new housing is being built at an alarming rate. One small town edge village near us is planned for 15,000 new homes in the next few years! View the future plans for your chosen patch and also new road structures needed to accommodate the extra traffic!

Bijilo123 Nov 23rd 2009 6:00 pm

Gt Dunmow, ESSEX - good place.

Stormer999 Nov 23rd 2009 6:24 pm

My last post wasn't very clear! What I meant was....public transport will be better in a village that is a close satellite to a town but a massive danger exists in new build making that village part of the town. New build has to incorporate a percentage of community type housing and that can sometimes lead to other problems!:frown:

Bevm Nov 24th 2009 7:08 am

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 8120125)
The lovely Greyhound bridge!!! It is my home area too and I have spent many an hour stuck on a bus in traffic to college and then work! My aunt and uncle live in Heysham and it is beautiful although it takes an age to get anywhere and sadly these days Morecambe is an absolute hole!

There is some hope. I was told that whoever it is that's spent a fortune restoring the Midland Hotel to its former glory got agreement first that money would be spent on Morecambe, and it's beginning. I think maybe the new bridge was part of the deal, so it might actually happen as there are so many other reasons for that to happen.

Bev

Dessiree Nov 24th 2009 7:16 am

Brockenhurst in the new forest. Everything you need in one village although has good bus links if needs be. Added bonus - right on the edge of new forest and you get the ponies wandering about up the high street. Absolutely lovely.