The Real NHS

Old Sep 10th 2012, 5:36 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Real NHS

Originally Posted by BritinFLUSA
HAHAHAHAHA Funny because it's true!
Not if you work in A&E and have to deal with the influx of (often agressive) boneheads.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 5:41 pm
BE Reader for years!

BritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really nice

Originally Posted by dunroving
Not if you work in A&E and have to deal with the influx of (often agressive) boneheads.
Correct. I have so much respect for front line NHS workers. I laugh here in the US because ignoring inner city ER's, most hospital workers here are overpaid buffoons who fanny around with clipboards and chat with colleagues over coffee or stand around doing nothing. They have no real medical skills beyond looking at the computer to see what it gives as a diagnosis and then incorrectly bill your insurance all the time for the privilege of using their "service".

I know it is fiction, but watch Casualty or Holby City and you will see the "real life" (beautiful) NHS in action.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Homeiswheretheheartis
So true, my friend went to a dentist here in the US just after she left the UK. He recommended alot of work that was really expensive, including having her wisdom teeth out. She had only just had her teeth checked before she had left the UK by a dentist she had been to as a child.

She held off having the work done and on her next visit to the UK popped into see her old dentist who confirmed none of the work needed doing including her perfect wisdom teeth that had never caused her any pain.

My kids have had dealing with a dentist in the US and I've been very happy with him. Different story with the orthodontist, kids recommend to have over $8000 each. Went back to the dentist who actually said one of my children didn't need it because as she grows her teeth will have enough room.

My kids teeth are normal not a mess

Which ever country you are in there will be good and bad dentists and costs will vary. I just wanted to point out that it is really hard to get onto an NHS dentist list. But there are people on them and people can be lucky on their return.
10 years ago my second US dentist quoted me $25,000 for dental work. now I am no Brad Pitt but my teeth are not that bad! I did use to own a wife . I should have realized as the dentist casually was conversing with me about homes where I lived etc. It was all about sizing me up for the $$. 10 years later and several dentists later I have had none of the work suggested done and no issues. In fact my next US dentist laughed when I told them.

Unfortunately, in the land of the f..., opportunism is seen as a God given right and I am sure that with the practiced 'patter' that same dentist probably hooked two or three unsuspecting victims each month or week for all I know.

Imho, they are rarely looking out for your welfare.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 5:49 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritinFLUSA
Correct. I have so much respect for front line NHS workers. I laugh here in the US because ignoring inner city ER's, most hospital workers here are overpaid buffoons who fanny around with clipboards and chat with colleagues over coffee or stand around doing nothing. They have no real medical skills beyond looking at the computer to see what it gives as a diagnosis and then incorrectly bill your insurance all the time for the privilege of using their "service".

I know it is fiction, but watch Casualty or Holby City and you will see the "real life" (beautiful) NHS in action.
... or watch "24 hours in A&E" (ITV? Channel 4?) and see a factual account of "real life" in the NHS.

I have nothing but respect for what they do but acute annoyance for the BS they have to put up with. Grown adults behaving like badly-behaved schoolkids.

The outrageous bonuses paid to mealy-mouthed, self-serving financial sector execs should be redistributed among front line NHS, police and rescue services, IMO.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 5:55 pm
BE Reader for years!

BritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really niceBritinFLUSA is just really nice

... or watch "24 hours in A&E" (ITV? Channel 4?) and see a factual account of "real life" in the NHS.

I have nothing but respect for what they do but acute annoyance for the BS they have to put up with. Grown adults behaving like badly-behaved schoolkids.

The outrageous bonuses paid to mealy-mouthed, self-serving financial sector execs should be redistributed among front line NHS, police and rescue services, IMO.
AGREE! :-) - and I'm a Tory free marketeer!
Old Sep 10th 2012, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

I watch that program here on BBC Canada and like you am amazed at their patience and the badly behaved. At least it is a true life drama and not hollywood remake of what they think should be an ER!
Old Sep 10th 2012, 6:29 pm
BE Reader for years!

Originally Posted by feelbritish
I watch that program here on BBC Canada and like you am amazed at their patience and the badly behaved. At least it is a true life drama and not hollywood remake of what they think should be an ER!
Hahahaha like that terrible American soap... "General Hospital" - hahahahaha!
Old Sep 11th 2012, 8:12 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Now I can only give my own personal experience of the NHS since being back and i would hate to come across as overly positive
Unfortunately one of our boys broke his arm around 7 weeks ago, right at the start of the summer school holidays. Took him to hospital where he received fantastic care and we had no complaints at all. His ongoing 'aftercare' has also been great. We took him to the local doctors surgery to have his dressing changed where they removed the wire. They gave us 10 new dressings and a padded protective 'sock'. No charge and no fuss.
I can only compare to our experiences in Australia of course, not America. I had 2 operations in my time there, one on my knee and one on my back and on both occassions I returned home with a bad infection.
Hospitals in both countries seem under staffed and with recently announced cuts back in Australia that could become worse.
The major difference in Australia is the huge cost of dental work, even private dental treatment here is very affordable by comparison.
I would have to say that overall the NHS does an incredible job but as with any system there are problems.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 8:23 am
Ping-ponger

Quality of care in the NHS does seem to be a bit of a postcode lottery, and resources are stretched. Don't expect fancy surroundings, privacy, etc., like you get in the US, or a host of diagnostic tests before they decide what's wrong with you. And don't expect non-emergency treatment to occur in a hurry (I'm due for surgery later this year, culminating from a visit to the GP almost three years ago - it seemed like everything occurred in 6-9 month intervals).

But you won't have to worry about becoming bankrupt, unlike the US.

I think that the quality of care is overall better in the US, for those with decent insurance or are wealthy enough to cover the costs - problem is, these are in the privileged minority. And even if (like I was) you are lucky enough to have employer-covered health insurance, you can still end up spending a fortune on co-pays, deductibles, etc., if you have any major treatment.

As I alluded to in an earlier thread, perhaps the most upsetting thing about the NHS for me is that taxpayers' money is wasted on people who self-inflict their need for medical treatment.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

As I alluded to in an earlier thread, perhaps the most upsetting thing about the NHS for me is that taxpayers' money is wasted on people who self-inflict their need for medical treatment.
Does that mean you would like to see maternity services no longer offered on the NHS? That's self inflicted and can be avoided, no?
Old Sep 11th 2012, 10:49 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by rebs
Does that mean you would like to see maternity services no longer offered on the NHS? That's self inflicted and can be avoided, no?
I'm not so sure it is "self" inflicted - although it's a while since I took GCSE biology.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 11:06 am
BE Reader for years!

I'm not so sure it is "self" inflicted - although it's a while since I took GCSE biology.
Hahahaha!!

Dunroving you are right, re the US - even with expensive employer covered healthcare the co-pays and deductibles ruin you. This is one reason my parents are looking at returning to the UK from here in the US as my mother spends $500 a month for EMPLOYER healthcare for herself and my Dad and then spends thousands each of year on copays and deductibles. I think her insurance starts to kick in around November each year..meaning that she probably enjoys just a few visits/scripts that they completely cover!

Ironically she had some outpatient surgery last that would have cost more with the insurance so opted to pay cash instead!
Old Sep 11th 2012, 12:12 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Saying that, there are some honest dentist here who if they know you do not have insurance will charge you a reasonable rate. The first thing they say to you if you need work is "you need a crown" then when you say you don't have the money, then a "couple of pins and large filling" is the order of the day! Best to get a dentist and vet here by word of mouth
But the crown would probably be the better treatment, long term. Every filling weakens a tooth, and if it's cracked and eventually splits it probably can't be saved. I don't think it's always that dentists are looking to make money, and in my experience really good dentists have a waiting list. They don't have to squeeze money out of those they have, but they do feel passionately about saving teeth.

Bev
Old Sep 11th 2012, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we registered with an NHS dentist who checked our teeth without even touching them (how can they tell if there are any problems?)

Speaking to medical folk, they said that many of the newly qualified not very competent dentists g under the NHS flag...certainly true for the one we registered with.

Re-registered with a private dentist and the difference was remarkable- and of course more expensive but definitely hugely better.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 12:11 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Last week I was off duty in my local supermarket when I got accosted by a man who'd been a patient of mine the week before. He came up to me saying "Where do I know you from?" I shook my head and said "Sir we don't know each other!" and tried to walk away. He got annoyed and grabbed my arm and said "I DO know you, why are you saying I don't?" I removed my arm, smiled sweetly, leaned over and whispered in his ear "The last time I saw you sir you were blind drunk, had a fight with the bouncers, cut your arm open and lost a lot of blood. You called me a c*** and kicked me even though I was trying to help you. Eventually you passed out on the back of my ambulance and then proceeded to s*** yourself. I'm the paramedic that came out to you that night." The look of horror on his face was priceless as he muttered 'Um sorry!" and shuffled away.................

In reply to some of the other posts I always have my dental work carried out in the UK when I am on holidays. I have to go private but I find its a third of the cost of Australia and far better quality of work IMO. Hopefully I can find an NHS dentist to sign up with when I am back though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.