The Real NHS

Old Oct 2nd 2012, 5:58 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all
Default Re: The Real NHS

Originally Posted by chris955
Unfortunately it is also happening in NSW and South Australia as I understand it.
Im not sure if it UK wide, a quick search shows over 600 nursing job vacancies in the Herefordshire region. I would hazzard a guess and say there are also job vacancies all over Australia but a common misconception is that there are no jobs in this country.

I saw a programme a couple of months back that showed a lot of hospitals up and down the country are massively in debt and are looking at cutting costs, plus front line nursing staff numbers are at an all time low, obviously it's not every hospital, but nurses morale is at an all time low in general.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 6:23 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

If the NHS is anything like the part of the public sector I'm working in, these vacancies aren't new positions. Senior people are retiring early or being made redundant. They are then replaced with part-time staff, junior staff, and fewer staff.

We lost three people last year, one very senior. They have been (will be) replaced only by two staff, both at the most junior level. Also, advertising and interviewing is deliberately dragged out so the university saves money during the extended period between when people leave and ther replacements start. In the meantime, we have to work extra hard to cover the gaps.

that's the reality of the situation from my own experience in the public sector.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 6:32 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dunroving
If the NHS is anything like the part of the public sector I'm working in, these vacancies aren't new positions. Senior people are retiring early or being made redundant. They are then replaced with part-time staff, junior staff, and fewer staff.

We lost three people last year, one very senior. They have been (will be) replaced only by two staff, both at the most junior level. Also, advertising and interviewing is deliberately dragged out so the university saves money during the extended period between when people leave and ther replacements start. In the meantime, we have to work extra hard to cover the gaps.

that's the reality of the situation from my own experience in the public sector.
That's the same experience my wife has, someone leaves, they then take ages to replace them, in the meantime they run short and any new contract is temporary, just in case they need to make cuts again, I think it's generally acknowledged that staffing in the NHS is in a dire way, not everywhere, but you have to work in the NHS to fully understand how bad it is.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 8:01 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
but you have to work in the NHS to fully understand how bad it is.
I did....for nearly 40 years and it is lightyears better than the mickey mouse service over here.
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 8:03 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
I did....for nearly 40 years and it is lightyears better than the mickey mouse service over here.
Do you mean the quality of medical care is better in the UK than the US, or just more widely available and less likely to bankrupt you?
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 8:16 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean the quality of medical care is better in the UK than the US, or just more widely available and less likely to bankrupt you?
I am in Australia
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 8:33 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Grayling
I am in Australia
In that case, "Do you mean the quality of medical care is better in the UK than in Australia, or just more widely available and less likely to bankrupt you?"
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
There's been three rounds of nursing redundancies at my wife's hospital, front line nursing numbers are at a record low, i think its UK wide, it's good advice for nurses looking at migrating, Queensland isn't the place to head at present, but there's plenty of other areas and states that nurses are sought after.
I understand from friends who are nurses in the Greater Manchester Area that they have to apply for their own jobs which they see as precursors to redundancies there.

Which jobs and at what hospitals will have to remain anonymous.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

That's how its been in the retail trade for over thirty years, I'm not kidding...

A 40 hour employee leaves, Their eight hour shift becomes two four hour shifts, that way you have more flexibility for scheduling at busy times, OK so that makes good business sense, but its not good for employees as they hire 2 or 3 people to do those 4 hours shifts, As a manager I was told not to schedule them too many hours, that way none of the new hires get medical and other benefits, plus it takes them many years longer to work up the pay scale, saving the company lots of money...

Of course that's not good enough for the greedy, they decide to install scanners so that the general public can check themselves out, Oh How Fun!, putting more people out of work and putting that money in their piggy bank, I know some people like self check but what kind of a discount do you get for that, not even 1%, so you are now an unpaid employee, this is the greedy at work, they will do anything to save a buck, Self check has put thousands out of work, and on welfare, of course we the tax payers fork out for that, so how much have we really saved...

I remember when scanners were first introduced, people were concerned they may lose their jobs, they were told they wouldn't, but that wasn't really the truth was it...
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 6:28 am
Bitter and twisted

In that case, "Do you mean the quality of medical care is better in the UK than in Australia, or just more widely available and less likely to bankrupt you?"
All three
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
That's how its been in the retail trade for over thirty years, I'm not kidding...

A 40 hour employee leaves, Their eight hour shift becomes two four hour shifts, that way you have more flexibility for scheduling at busy times, OK so that makes good business sense, but its not good for employees as they hire 2 or 3 people to do those 4 hours shifts, As a manager I was told not to schedule them too many hours, that way none of the new hires get medical and other benefits, plus it takes them many years longer to work up the pay scale, saving the company lots of money...

Of course that's not good enough for the greedy, they decide to install scanners so that the general public can check themselves out, Oh How Fun!, putting more people out of work and putting that money in their piggy bank, I know some people like self check but what kind of a discount do you get for that, not even 1%, so you are now an unpaid employee, this is the greedy at work, they will do anything to save a buck, Self check has put thousands out of work, and on welfare, of course we the tax payers fork out for that, so how much have we really saved...

I remember when scanners were first introduced, people were concerned they may lose their jobs, they were told they wouldn't, but that wasn't really the truth was it...
Great post and good example's of managerial examples put into practice.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 8:28 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Im not sure how self checkouts have resulted in 1000's of job losses, I dont know about Australia but most of the big supermarkets here have been employing more people.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 8:31 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

The public sector in this country has finally caught up and is going through what the private sector has been doing for years....restructuring and streamlining to be able to survive and continue in some shape or form, while attempting to support an ageing and burgeoning population.

Yes NHS staff deserve better, the redundancies and pressure on clinical staff in hospitals stinks, but as far as I can see there is no alternative.

I still believe the crucial elements of service we receive in our hospitals are fantastic. My experiences in the UK were having a very ill father who eventually died in hospital after receiving palliative care and a son who required surgery at a young age, both times the clinical treatment and nursing care were second to none.

Go to many places in Europe and be admitted to hospital, and you would be expected to bring a friend or relative with you to undertake the majority of your nursing care.

Last edited by pommybird; Oct 3rd 2012 at 8:37 am.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 8:35 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree, my son broke his arm about 7 weeks ago now and the care he received was fantastic, hardly any waiting and amazing staff. The system isnt perfect and is being stretched but certainly around here there are no signs of lack of staff or bad 'service'.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 8:37 am
Ping-ponger

If you peruse the recreation and leisure literature from 30 or so years ago, it was full of predictions that technology and automation would make our jobs easier and we'd all be taking lseisurely 3-day or 4-day "weekends". The reality has been that we are simply expected to be more productive in our 5 days (ha! Can't remember my last 5-day work week), that we are employed part-time to do a full week's work, that we now work on the train to work, via our laptops and smart phones, and/or that fewer peple are employed to achieve what more people were achieving before all this technology made our tasks easier.

Oh, and I forgot one more thing - we now have to spend 50% of our time writing reports and evaluations and blue-sky thinking strategies instead of actually getting on with the job.

NHS (I just put that in there so the post wasn't off-topic!)

And yes, before anyone points out the bleedin' obvious, I know Australia is probably the same!

Last edited by dunroving; Oct 3rd 2012 at 9:00 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.