The Real NHS

Old Jan 6th 2013, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Real NHS

My mother-in-law died two days ago. She lived in England (Dorset) and even though I am divorced from her son, I always kept in touch with her and she visited me when she came to America. My ex-husband, my daughter, son-in-law and grand-children went to England over the Christmas/New Year break. My son-in-law works in the health care profession here in Ohio. He was very impressed with the care my mother-in-law had in England. I know the NHS isn't perfect (what system is?) but my mother-in-law had very good care (she was 85). The MacMillan nurses were wonderful. I understand that many people living in the UK criticize the NHS, but if you haven't lived anywhere else you can't really compare.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Having lived and worked in Europe (ie non-UK), Africa and the Middle East I think the NHS is the BEES' KNEES !

Confusiion to its Enemies !
Old Jan 25th 2013, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Derrygal
My mother-in-law died two days ago. She lived in England (Dorset) and even though I am divorced from her son, I always kept in touch with her and she visited me when she came to America. My ex-husband, my daughter, son-in-law and grand-children went to England over the Christmas/New Year break. My son-in-law works in the health care profession here in Ohio. He was very impressed with the care my mother-in-law had in England. I know the NHS isn't perfect (what system is?) but my mother-in-law had very good care (she was 85). The MacMillan nurses were wonderful. I understand that many people living in the UK criticize the NHS, but if you haven't lived anywhere else you can't really compare.
We have lived elsewhere, been back in the UK just two months and I am so impressed with the NHS, the elderly once registered with their GP are very well monitored, so far my husband has had new medication, blood tests, ECG, BP monitoring and told that he has a 27% heart attack risk so has been called into see the nurse at the heart attack prevention clinic. I love this country, so glad to be back.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Derrygal, condolences and sorry for your loss.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
I only wish my mother could have lived to share your "positive" happy days instead of falling on one of the "unfortunate" negative ones.......
Personally I couldn't care if it happens elsewhere in the World or if you consider it to be a blight on your positive, for her negative was for real.....
Originally Posted by chris955
I really think people are making too much out of what I am saying. I am not saying the NHS is perfect, like every other health service it is far from perfect but in this thread all we are seeing is how bad it is, well for us at least it has been great since being back. Sometimes a bit of positivity is a good thing but it wont be the first time someone on here has had a go at me for being too positive, bizarre I know but true.
You're not falling out with people on this forum are you?
(He said, poking his head in...)

Good Night All!
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Discovered on the web:-
[Soon the] NHS [of England, not UK] undergoes the substantive part of the biggest reorganisation it has experienced since 1948.

On March 31st, [2013] 152 Primary Care Trusts and the 10 English regional Strategic Health Authorities which supervised them will cease to exist. They will lose their statutory powers to even turn out their own lights. In their place ... new organisations will take over. ...

From April 1st, [2013] the bulk of commissioning decisions will be undertaken by approximately 212 Clinical Commissioning Groups, supported by a raft of Commissioning Support Units and overseen by a new quango, the NHS Commissioning Board.

The functions hitherto carried out by Strategic Health Authorities (which included regional strategy to join up education and education commissioning; public health strategy; and performance managing PCTs and those provider trusts which were not Foundation Trusts) will be scattered to various new bodies ...

The processes of strategically planning, budgeting, procuring, and assuring the education of the nation's clinicians will fall to a new organisation, Health Education England, which will operate at regional level through new Local Education and Training Boards (LETBs).

Responsibility for Public Health passes to a new body called Public Health England, which will oversee the strategies formulated by local authorities, who'll receive the 20% of the NHS budget spent on this activity.

The bulk of the work involved in determining local needs for services plus procuring, paying-for and checking on them will become the responsibility of the new Clinical Commissioning Groups. These CCGs will liaise with local Health and Wellbeing Boards (another new concept) to, theoretically, take account of local needs identified in Joint Strategic Needs Assessments before specifying the services they want to buy and signing the cheque.

The responsibility for contracting local GP practices, Dentists and Pharmacists, previously fulfilled by PCTs with SHA oversight, will pass to the NHS Commissioning Board, which will spring 27 'Local Area Teams' (LATs) in order to cope with the size of this work and ensure it is carried out reasonably locally.

And this doesn't include explaining the role of Monitor or the Care Quality Commission (CQC), or clinical networks and senates, or health watch.
You would think all this change would cost money, in fact less money will be available in total.