Ping pong pom

Old Feb 17th 2009, 12:49 pm
Banned

Coda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really nice
Default Ping pong pom

I've been back in the UK for just over 4 months and im already planning my escape.

Why? Some reasons...

Too crowded.

Too much of a rat-race.

Too expensive.

Too much of a "**** you jack I'm alright" culture.

Too much random crime. e.g. Two 20 year olds shot in London by teenagers at the weekend. Street punk and low-life culture....

Poor weather.

Poor infrastructure. I seem to spend all my time on the tube, train & bus.

Different values in life, e.g. high emphasis on material possessions, fame & Money.

Cultural differences. Example, Jade Goody on front-page of National newspapers. Why? Famous for being famous.

Is the UK going down the toilet? No, it's already been flushed down the sewerage system like a giant stinking turd
Old Feb 17th 2009, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Ping pong pom

Hahahha, bugger off then, you won't be missed.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Chi_town is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm, did you return from Australia? Now, I have never been (I live in the US) but I would have thought it was not a lot different in terms of rat race, material possessions being so important, crime etc. But correct me if I am wrong? lt depends on if were living in a rural or urban area I suppose?

I think you haven't been back long enough to give the Uk a fair chance. We are going back ths summer and I KNOW I will probably hate it initially, and everything will compare unfavorable to the life we have just left. But I have to remember that I made the choice to come back for a certain set of reasons.

There is no perfect place in the world to live, at least I don't think there is. Everywhere you go there will be good things and bad and I guess the key to happiness is finding the place that suits you best.

As regards Jade Goody, as I have been fllowing her story online. I was never a fan of hers, but her story is so tragic and it now appears she has approx 8 weeks to live. She is trying to provide for her sons to be taken care of when she has gone, so my guess is the newspapers are buying her story to try to give her some financial support. So yes, she is famous for being famous, but you know the media created her into the spectacle she became so I believe they bear some responsibility for helping her in her hour of need. And I am glad to see they are stepping up to that. It actually never bothers me whats on the front of the newspaoer, I find the news I want. Come to Chicago and be bored to death by Obama being on the front page every single day, even down to minute trivia as to what dog his kids will get to live in the White house!

I hope you get more settled, maybe as Spring arrives?

Susie.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 2:12 pm
Banned

Coda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really niceCoda is just really nice

Hmmm, did you return from Australia?
NZ & OZ (i've lived in both).

I think you haven't been back long enough to give the Uk a fair chance.
Yeah, I have. I know what the next 10 years will be like living here.

We are going back ths summer and I KNOW I will probably hate it initially, and everything will compare unfavorable to the life we have just left. But I have to remember that I made the choice to come back for a certain set of reasons.
The heart knows what it wants, regardless of a list.

There is no perfect place in the world to live, at least I don't think there is. Everywhere you go there will be good things and bad and I guess the key to happiness is finding the place that suits you best.
100% true. Virtually every single person I speak to though says "what are you doing back here?". I agree!

I hope you get more settled, maybe as Spring arrives?
More likely June/July time. Back in NZ/OZ! Yay

There are lots of little things which I don't like. One thing I forgot about, living overseas, is the UK class system. Ugh! I can't stand it. That is one thing I won't miss about the UK. A life of priveledge based on daddy & mummy, your accent, the school you went to etc etc etc...

Last edited by Coda; Feb 17th 2009 at 2:18 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 2:31 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coda
I've been back in the UK for just over 4 months and im already planning my escape.

Why? Some reasons...

Too crowded.

Too much of a rat-race.

Too expensive.

Too much of a "**** you jack I'm alright" culture.

Too much random crime. e.g. Two 20 year olds shot in London by teenagers at the weekend. Street punk and low-life culture....

Poor weather.

Poor infrastructure. I seem to spend all my time on the tube, train & bus.

Different values in life, e.g. high emphasis on material possessions, fame & Money.

Cultural differences. Example, Jade Goody on front-page of National newspapers. Why? Famous for being famous.

Is the UK going down the toilet? No, it's already been flushed down the sewerage system like a giant stinking turd
I`d agree with the overcrowdeness, rat race though that`s the same in most first world countries unless you seek out a smaller town existence etc. Its expensive yes but many other cheaper countries are catching up. The **** you I`m alright attitude is another first world country feature probably imported from the USA. Poor weather that`s a individual opinion, personally I love England in the summer its beats the near 3 months of hell that I often put up with here. Infrastructure is old and saturated etc but its still better than many other countries certainly in terms of going from A to B instead of having to go via C and D. The emphasis on possessions, fame and money is something else very american (Hollywood etc) again incorporated from the USA. After reading a lot of threads on here most Brits complain that its the australians that are very materialistic, much more so than in the UK?
Old Feb 17th 2009, 2:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
After reading a lot of threads on here most Brits complain that its the australians that are very materialistic, much more so than in the UK?
Really? Dealing in generalisations here, but on the whole, nope, I disagree. Perfect example is my current landlady. I've never met anyone (in my entire life!) who is as vacuuous and obsessed with status and wealth (and what it apparently means) as her.

In contast, my Landlady in OZ, with similar funds at her disposal, similar house, and a similar car (An audi sports car), was much more down to earth.

So, whereas these things are nice to haves in OZ, people generally don't really see it as the be all, end all. Here it seems to mean so much more.

Also, another thing i've noticed about Brits is how much more likely they are to big themselves up and how much more that type of behaviour is not only acceptable it's applauded. Lot's of Brits seem pretty arrogant to me now, with not much to back it up.

Then there is the lack of respect for elders. I've seen more shit here from kids,their parents, flatmates, in 4 months than 4 years in OZ/NZ. Who's the daddy?

Example. How many Asda's in OZ/NZ have police patrolling the aisles? On Friday at Asda in Roehamptom, London, two uniformed cops were on duty inside the store!

CCTV surveillance...

Erosion of personal freedom. Case in point the recent refusal to allow a dutch MP to come into England, I don't need big-brother making my mind up for me.

England has gone wrong - big time.

I could go on, but it wears me out thinking about it!
Old Feb 17th 2009, 3:05 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I think you must have picked a really crap area to move back too, there are good and bad parts to every country. Have you thought of just moving within the UK before putting out the expense to move countries all over again?
What were your reasons for moving back? Weren't you happy with your life in OZ/NZ the things that made you move haven't changed.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 4:32 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I'm planning my "escape" also, but I think much of what you describe below is true of a lot of other countries. Also, within the UK, there are many pockets that are unaffected by a lot of the below.

Why? Some reasons...

Too crowded. So are many other countries (especially the cities)

Too much of a rat-race. Same as a lot of other countries

Too expensive. Housing, maybe, but many other countries are no cheaper than the UK

Too much of a "**** you jack I'm alright" culture. Same as a lot of other countries - I've seen the same criticism levelled against Oz many times

Too much random crime. e.g. Two 20 year olds shot in London by teenagers at the weekend. Street punk and low-life culture.... Have you read the crime stats for US, Oz, etc.? No different, or worse. Plus the UK has places that are unaffected

Poor weather. OK, I'll grant you that one, being rain-o-phobic.But summers in Oz and the US can be unbearable too

Poor infrastructure. I seem to spend all my time on the tube, train & bus. At least the UK has a public transport system

Different values in life, e.g. high emphasis on material possessions, fame & Money. True of most Westernised countries, especially US

Cultural differences. Example, Jade Goody on front-page of National newspapers. Why? Famous for being famous. Never heard of Paris Hilton and the National Enquirer, then?

Is the UK going down the toilet? No, it's already been flushed down the sewerage system like a giant stinking turd It's not my favorite place at the moment, but your final comment just confirms you don't have an objective opinion
Old Feb 17th 2009, 4:42 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

On the one hand I say good for you. Since it appears moving between countries is not difficult, go for it. I fully understand how you might feel the UK doesn't work for you.

I live in the UK and to be honest I don't experience many of the things you list. Living in London is a bit crap, but I am lucky enough to live in a lovely community with friendly people. Never seen an armed guard in a supermarket! The people I meet every day are kind and respectful. I work with 1500 teenagers and they apologise if they bump into me. When I tick them off for swearing some of them apologise then too!

Good luck with your move. I can see that there is good and bad in most countries. I hope you find the good wherever you find yourself.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Something's not passing the smell test here. 15 posts but you've been back 4mths and no ID from before that and you've suddenly 'found' the site?

Spidy senses up
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:19 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Something's not passing the smell test here. 15 posts but you've been back 4mths and no ID from before that and you've suddenly 'found' the site?

Spidy senses up
I'm a good sniffer.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 9:19 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Tr1boy

Spidy senses up
Sorry bro, didn't know I needed a secret handshake to join your site...
Old Feb 18th 2009, 9:50 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry bro, didn't know I needed a secret handshake to join your site...
To get on the inner circle here.....One needs to be a Freemason.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 9:58 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
To get on the inner circle here.....One needs to be a Freemason.
Coda, I have to ask. Why post on this forum just because you can't make things work out for you in the UK? Clearly you couldn't make your life work in NZ or OZ either otherwise you wouldn't be back so maybe you need to go and have a long talk with someone who gets paid to listen.
It ain't here.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 10:08 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by cricket1
Coda, I have to ask. Why post on this forum just because you can't make things work out for you in the UK? Clearly you couldn't make your life work in NZ or OZ either otherwise you wouldn't be back so maybe you need to go and have a long talk with someone who gets paid to listen.
It ain't here.
By the way my name`s not Coda.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.