Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jul 8th 2014, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

greenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Windsong - I'll ask for the name of the flatshare agency my daughter used in London when she gets back from visiting friends today. Yes, she enjoys living there and has gone on lots of short trips abroad c/o the cheap airlines.

You can see what houses/flats sold for if you click on 'house prices' and then click on 'find sold house prices' on the top of the first page of rightmove.co.uk, and then insert a postal code (e.g. DG64AA). To find postal codes of other areas in the UK, just google a town name.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 4:31 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Hi Cheers, thank you for saying you wish you could buy my house! It even has a B&B attached to it! Lovely location on the beach here.

My hubby and I both Canadian now (he by default his mom was born there) but he is the British one, I (who have British ancestry hence my name) had ILR when we left but stupidly never thought we would have any changes to immigration and I had to come to Canada with him for a job offer! If I had waited until I could naturalise the job offer would have been off the table. Little did we know things would change! Our house, which we are now so pleased we kept, is in a small market town in Buckinghamshire called Marlow. It is on the Thames River between Windsor and Henley-on-Thames and after about 2 years of thinking we would retire to somewhere on the coast, we have realised it offers us everything we want except the sea! To make up for that we are going to buy a caravan and travel to the coast rather! My family live in Cape Town and we also will be spending 3 months over the UK winter there where we have very reasonable accommodation offered by my mother ! It all sounds so perfect which I am sure is not except we need to sell this house to now fund our retirement plans.
FB, your house in Canada sounds great, I'm sure someone will snap it up. Did you get a lot of guests at your BnB? It sounds like a lovely way to make some extra income, although I'm sure there are pitfalls that I don't know about!

I love your plans for your return to the UK - caravaning, escaping winter for 3 months in Cape Town, I've gone a most unflattering shade of green!

Fingers crossed for you that your house will sell quickly at the price you're after - I'm looking forward to reading about how things are going
Old Jul 8th 2014, 4:41 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Thanks jerseygirl/cheers/greenlane/nihao/islandwoman and BTW for all your kind sentiments, everyones really nice on here,
And thanks Trotty and spouse of scouse ----- yes Im convinced that my latest flare up of psoriasis is due to the anxiety over the operation ---- and also the stress of also taking care of my Mum, she is getting better now though, but I still have to make sure she takes all her drugs correctly, and also do all the cooking and keeping house clean etc etc, I find it harder now though cause I can only use my right arm, not very easy when you cook everything from scratch, just something like peeling potatoes can be a real chore
Anyway thanks to you all, and I love reading all your posts, its like the old days
Ah, you're a 'cook from scratch' fan. Me too, I can't think of many pre-prepared things that beat something you've made yourself. When Scouse went home last year he stayed with his brother and sister-in-law, fabulous people but everything comes out of a packet. The only meal that was cooked from scratch was the Sunday roast. He offered many times to cook a meal but they wouldn't hear of it, bless 'em.

It's a shame that you can't get a bit of help around the house while you're recovering from your surgery. Even just someone to do the heavier jobs would be good.

Take it as easy as you can and I hope you're fighting fit in no time
Old Jul 8th 2014, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, feelbritish, your plans sound great, and Marlow is by all accounts a lovely town. Splendid that you were able to keep your place there.

Escaping the UK winter is a also a good idea--we have a dream of doing the same but not sure how/where!

Hope house sells soon.

Rodney, best of luck with your continued recovery. So glad your Mum is doing better too.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Yes, the beginning of the week. It has come around so fast! I am not even sure I will have time to get any UK currency before I go and may have to resort to banks in the UK to change it for me.

I do believe housing is less expensive in Scotland but I much prefer the English homes. I know many will disagree, though. Many Scottish homes look very austere from the outside, while the English homes seem to look warmer and cozier - but, who knows, I may change my mind about all that once I get there.
Be sure to give us your flight number(s) so we can track you. Do you have a laptop or iPad so you can report to us when you arrive and are haggard;) at Heathrow?

I had to look this up because I got the spelling wrong.

*hag·gard
ˈhagərd/Submit
adjective
looking exhausted and unwell, especially from fatigue, worry, or suffering.
"I trailed on behind, haggard and disheveled"
synonyms: drawn, tired, exhausted, drained, careworn, unwell, unhealthy, spent, washed out, run-down; More

A place that I've found reasonable is a town called Melksham, Wiltshire. Wilshire is one of the best pretty English counties.
I got directed to Melksham because an American on another forum has a small hotel there and they speak very well of the town.

Be happy and excited because next week you will be where you've wanted to be for a very long time.

As someone else said, don't do more than you have to when you arrive because of the stress and jet lag.

Cheers
Old Jul 8th 2014, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Be sure to give us your flight number(s) so we can track you. Do you have a laptop or iPad so you can report to us when you arrive and are haggard;) at Heathrow?

I had to look this up because I got the spelling wrong.

*hag·gard
ˈhagərd/Submit
adjective
looking exhausted and unwell, especially from fatigue, worry, or suffering.
"I trailed on behind, haggard and disheveled"
synonyms: drawn, tired, exhausted, drained, careworn, unwell, unhealthy, spent, washed out, run-down; More

A place that I've found reasonable is a town called Melksham, Wiltshire. Wilshire is one of the best pretty English counties.
I got directed to Melksham because an American on another forum has a small hotel there and they speak very well of the town.

Be happy and excited because next week you will be where you've wanted to be for a very long time.

As someone else said, don't do more than you have to when you arrive because of the stress and jet lag.

Cheers
Will do, Cheers. I leave next Monday morning. It's coming around very quickly!

Love your description of "haggard". I think I feel that way already lol.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You don't taste the banana with Banoffee. As I said I hate bananas and couldn't for the life of me eat a Banana Split...but I enjoyed the pie.
You won't taste banana with cheap supermarket versions; unless the banana fell off the piece of string.

A well made/home made banoffe pie, calls for 2/3 bananas for the topping and lots of whipped cream.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Ah, you're a 'cook from scratch' fan. Me too, I can't think of many pre-prepared things that beat something you've made yourself. When Scouse went home last year he stayed with his brother and sister-in-law, fabulous people but everything comes out of a packet. The only meal that was cooked from scratch was the Sunday roast. He offered many times to cook a meal but they wouldn't hear of it, bless 'em.

It's a shame that you can't get a bit of help around the house while you're recovering from your surgery. Even just someone to do the heavier jobs would be good.

Take it as easy as you can and I hope you're fighting fit in no time
Me too on cooking from scratch. Daily dinner takes about 30-40 mins to prep and cook, I know what is in it, it is just as we like it and there is a certain satisfaction in it being something that I made.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Will do, Cheers. I leave next Monday morning. It's coming around very quickly!

Love your description of "haggard". I think I feel that way already lol.
Windsong, best wishes to you for your journey. I look forward to reading your posts after you are on the ground in UK.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 10:55 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Me too on cooking from scratch. Daily dinner takes about 30-40 mins to prep and cook, I know what is in it, it is just as we like it and there is a certain satisfaction in it being something that I made.
Knowing exactly what you're eating is a huge benefit of cooking from scratch. I love trying out new recipies and Murphy the golden retriever doesn't mind the odd disaster
Old Jul 10th 2014, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Jasper123 do you think social services could give you some help till you are fully recovered.

A question to you all.....what's your favourite cheese.....

I get my cataract removed on Monday not a big op but I would rather stay away from hospitals, but I need it doing, then I will have two perfect eyes....
Old Jul 10th 2014, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Jasper123 do you think social services could give you some help till you are fully recovered.

I get my cataract removed on Monday not a big op but I would rather stay away from hospitals, but I need it doing, then I will have two perfect eyes....
Wensleydale with cranberries with double Gloucestershire a close second

Good luck on Monday, Dad's had both of his done & never looked back
Old Jul 10th 2014, 8:16 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Difficult to answer that as I love so many cheeses, a really nice mature cheddar is great, but so are some of the continental cheeses, particularly buying them in their own country, the exported versions are often not as good. I love Sage Derby, but never seem to be able to find it nowadays, Manchego, Mimolette, mature edam are also very good, to me at least.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 11:45 am
Concierge

Good luck for Monday trotty - will you have to stay in overnight?

Hard for me to choose my favourite cheese but I'll go for vintage cheddar, I could eat it every day.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 11:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I know several people who had had the same surgery and it's been a success. Good luck for Monday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.