Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Apr 1st 2011, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by chriswinter
$3.99 a gallon here...around $2.59 gal milk...bought jumbo eggs on sale a few weeks back $.99 a doz.!!!
Chicago sales tax on food..believe this...is 9.75%!
OMG Chris! That's worse than here!

Wherever do you find eggs for 99 cents a dozen? I pay $2 and some change.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by aviva
Burbank is a nice town. There's lots to do, nice walking town. I was there this morning, that's where the gas Costco I was talking about is located. Forgot about the gas when I was there.
The train station comes right into downtown Burbank so you can hop on it and get around the city a bit from there (since the traffic is God awful).
I used to go to LA on business, pick up a rental car and drive all over. Not sure I would want to do that anymore . I stayed at a hotel on Wilshire Boulevard near Westwood Village... really fun place. It was the first place I ever saw true gridlock. Memories...
Old Apr 1st 2011, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chriswinter
$3.99 a gallon here...around $2.59 gal milk...bought jumbo eggs on sale a few weeks back $.99 a doz.!!!
Chicago sales tax on food..believe this...is 9.75%!
Gas here $1.28/litre, milk $7.99/4 litres (but I always buy organic to avoid the antibiotics, etc.), eggs $4/dozen (free range or organic) so I dare say I shall find it cheaper in the UK .
Old Apr 1st 2011, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
Gas here $1.28/litre, milk $7.99/4 litres (but I always buy organic to avoid the antibiotics, etc.), eggs $4/dozen (free range or organic) so I dare say I shall find it cheaper in the UK .
I went to the store and today the large eggs were $1.59/dozen. Milk was $2.28/gallon including hormones. sour cream .76 Potatoes 1.99 10lbs Bacon $3.99/16 ozs

Last edited by cheers; Apr 1st 2011 at 3:48 am. Reason: Correction and addition
Old Apr 1st 2011, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by windsong
OMG Chris! That's worse than here!

Wherever do you find eggs for 99 cents a dozen? I pay $2 and some change.
The eggs were on sale....normally large eggs are about $1.49 a doz.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cheers
I went to the store and today the large eggs were $1.59/dozen. Milk was $2.28/gallon including hormones. sour cream .76 Potatoes 1.99 10lbs Bacon $3.99/16 ozs
I'm curious here...anyone know the reason why the price of bacon has gone thru the roof? I seldom buy bacon anymore, unless a few of my favorite brands are on sale.

Chris
Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:38 pm

confusedenglishrose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

I agree with you. Many of them make their money and then leave the UK. If I had all the money in the world, I would still settle in the UK. The only difference I would make in my life would be to have perhaps a slightly bigger home, more plush, and more pets and acres of land and gardens around me. I might also take more vacations to the Continent. Aside from that, I would continue to watch Escape to the Country, Coronation Street and all the shows I already like.

There is one thing for which I am very grateful to the U.S. - and that is for having shown me that I do not belong here and for helping me sort out over the years that I need to leave it and go to the UK because that is where I belong and always did. Took me 30+ years of living in the USA to realize I was in the wrong place.

I have to edit this post - I always knew I was in the wrong place; it just took 30 years to continue underscoring that fact.
Since it first came out I always thought this song was ironic. Its so USA but sums up this section of britexpat.com. I think it should be adopted as the official song!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CeX5VEo10c
Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

I had never heard of him until he came to the USA. He seems half-decent here at least.

Why do you say he was a slimy toad? lol I think he worked as an editor, didn't he?
I partially watched an interview that he did with Benjamin Netanyahoo (my spelling ) and was quite nauseated at how he pandered to him.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

The squirrels have been almost knocking on my windows this morning looking for nuts. They get nuts from me every day - about half a pound a day or more - and today I ran out. They are not happy!!!

I will be back shortly. I HAVE to go and buy them nuts lol!
Old Apr 1st 2011, 8:40 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Keep us posted.
Next visit next Wednesday with the Hematologist. I'm usually very positive but can't think of anything that hematologists do that is not a big deal. So we'll continue to wait and see.

I'm being a real downer today, I also have to drive Dh over to the Bay Area on Tuesday to his old boss's funeral, she just died of cancer, they worked together in her small business (two employees) for over 20 years, she was like family. So we said we'd go, he'll also reconnect with all his old boating business buddies I'm sure, I hope he can make it through the service he get so tired easily (Catholic services are looong) so he can see his old friends.
And yet on an odd note he dragged his butt off to work today, he looked terrible, he has vacation coming up so will have nearly three weeks off to hopefully get better.

Oh and I wondered about bacon too, chriswinter, here the packet stuff is $4 or more a pound. I've been lucky finding the deli bacon in Winco for $3.59 and it's delicious
Old Apr 1st 2011, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
friends.
Oh and I wondered about bacon too, chriswinter, here the packet stuff is $4 or more a pound. I've been lucky finding the deli bacon in Winco for $3.59 and it's delicious
How do you like the Winco store. I've read about them but they don't have them in our area so I don't I've been in one. I think they are the one that is giving Walmart a run for their money.

How old was the deceased?

Hope hubby made it through the day without too much problem.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 10:41 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
How do you like the Winco store. I've read about them but they don't have them in our area so I don't I've been in one. I think they are the one that is giving Walmart a run for their money.

How old was the deceased?

Hope hubby made it through the day without too much problem.
I'm loving Winco, we pick and choose the day and time so it's quieter it can get super busy.
The boss was 59 this year, she never even got to retire, she had to quit last year beacuse she was so ill, she had sold the business 5 years ago and still worked for the new owner.
I'm sure I'll hear Dh coming in, he get out at 1.30am and will be home about 2.45am.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Next visit next Wednesday with the Hematologist. I'm usually very positive but can't think of anything that hematologists do that is not a big deal. So we'll continue to wait and see.

I'm being a real downer today, I also have to drive Dh over to the Bay Area on Tuesday to his old boss's funeral, she just died of cancer, they worked together in her small business (two employees) for over 20 years, she was like family. So we said we'd go, he'll also reconnect with all his old boating business buddies I'm sure, I hope he can make it through the service he get so tired easily (Catholic services are looong) so he can see his old friends.
And yet on an odd note he dragged his butt off to work today, he looked terrible, he has vacation coming up so will have nearly three weeks off to hopefully get better.

Never heard of Winco. Hope they come to the state I am in; grocery stores need competition here.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Never heard of Winco. Hope they come to the state I am in; grocery stores need competition here.
You can goggle them but I think they are out of Idaho.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

2 main large grocery store chains here are Jewel and Dominick's (Safeway owns Dominick's now). I only pop in those stores for certain things on sale, they can be expensive. Otherwise is Pete's Market for me!! I LOVE that store! Pete's has the best produce. I also shop at a Polish store...great comfort food, good prices and some of the best fresh meats, deli items and Polish bakery. I also have 2 great bakeries in my neighborhood, that have been here since I was a kid. One is an Italian bakery. And I wonder why I can't lose weight!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.