Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Apr 2nd 2011, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by chriswinter
2 main large grocery store chains here are Jewel and Dominick's (Safeway owns Dominick's now). I only pop in those stores for certain things on sale, they can be expensive. Otherwise is Pete's Market for me!! I LOVE that store! Pete's has the best produce. I also shop at a Polish store...great comfort food, good prices and some of the best fresh meats, deli items and Polish bakery. I also have 2 great bakeries in my neighborhood, that have been here since I was a kid. One is an Italian bakery. And I wonder why I can't lose weight!
Ohhh! I have to stay away from Italian bakeries lol!

For some reason, the markets here are more expensive than the grocery stores, at least for deli and meat products. Fruit and veg are about the same. It's odd.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 4:53 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Well, today we took 4 big boxes of old personal papers (mainly bank statements etc) to the mobile shredder. This is really great service provided by the local council. It's a huge truck that parks in a different town each weekend. You can take up to 4 boxes of stuff each time you go and it's completely free. The shredded paper is then recycled.

My husband always kept every bill and every bank statement, so it's going to take a while to get through everything! I just take a box down with me every now and then, pour myself a glass of wine and go through every piece of paper. So far we've found the deeds to the house, the paperwork that says we own our car, and my husband's UK driving license. Not to mention the cutest set of photos we took just after we got our cats and they were just 8 weeks old. Aaaaaaawwww!

Next we're taking some clothes to the charity shop. Each little thing we do helps me to feel we're on our way home
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Well, today we took 4 big boxes of old personal papers (mainly bank statements etc) to the mobile shredder. This is really great service provided by the local council. It's a huge truck that parks in a different town each weekend. You can take up to 4 boxes of stuff each time you go and it's completely free. The shredded paper is then recycled.

My husband always kept every bill and every bank statement, so it's going to take a while to get through everything! I just take a box down with me every now and then, pour myself a glass of wine and go through every piece of paper. So far we've found the deeds to the house, the paperwork that says we own our car, and my husband's UK driving license. Not to mention the cutest set of photos we took just after we got our cats and they were just 8 weeks old. Aaaaaaawwww!

Next we're taking some clothes to the charity shop. Each little thing we do helps me to feel we're on our way home
This is what I've been doing too Sally. I haven't quite had the courage to go through the papers yet but I have been taking clothes to the thrift shop and having big burn piles in the back yard. It doesn't feel like much but, as you say, each bag/box/load brings you that much closer to completing the job and I so look forward to starting life in England without all this extra c**p.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
This is what I've been doing too Sally. I haven't quite had the courage to go through the papers yet but I have been taking clothes to the thrift shop and having big burn piles in the back yard. It doesn't feel like much but, as you say, each bag/box/load brings you that much closer to completing the job and I so look forward to starting life in England without all this extra c**p.
It's interesting, in years gone past I always found it difficult to decide what things to part with. Now that I have made the decision to go back (but not yet knowing when), I find it easy. Everywhere I go in my home now, I know the things I want to keep and what I want to part with. Of course, the list of things I want to keep is still waaayyy to long to go overseas but I think when the time comes, even that will become easier to whittle down.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny that it hasn't come up yet on a BE forum, but is anyone planning on watching the Royal Wedding on April 29? I for one will be glued to the telly!
Old Apr 4th 2011, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny that it hasn't come up yet on a BE forum, but is anyone planning on watching the Royal Wedding on April 29? I for one will be glued to the telly!
There was a thread devoted to the Royal Wedding - not sure it is still open. I have to work that day - but as we are 5 hours behind the UK, I'll probably get up extra early and see most of it before I have to go to work (or possibly go in late). I plan on watching it. I was just talking to my 87 year old auntie today on the phone (she lives in Scotland) and she said she thinks Kate should have told William that she wanted her own ring!! She thinks as Diana's ring didn't bring her much luck, it will be the same for Kate!! As you can guess, my auntie is very superstitious!!!
Old Apr 4th 2011, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, I will be. I was going to take the day off to celebrate it but, now, since I don't have a job once again, I will probably be off anyway - and glued to it.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

This Weeks Quiz

That was too difficult last week! So an easy one, well easier!

There is a chocolate bar that we sell in the store that has a sign on it which states NOT FOR GIRLS. Can anyone tell me the product and the origin of this clever marketing ploy.

Again $20 to spend in London Market for the best answer. Answers in by April 7th.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cheers

This Weeks Quiz

That was too difficult last week! So an easy one, well easier!

There is a chocolate bar that we sell in the store that has a sign on it which states NOT FOR GIRLS. Can anyone tell me the product and the origin of this clever marketing ploy.

Again $20 to spend in London Market for the best answer. Answers in by April 7th.
Yorkie Bars
Old Apr 4th 2011, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to welcome our new readers to this newsletter. Thank you for signing up, I hope you will be informed and maybe even entertained by this newsletter. I usually run a competition with a prize for the correct answer.

We wave the flag of Britishness here in Utah where more people claim their origins as the British Isles than anywhere else in the US and so we our proud of the heritage that gives rise to a British store here in Salt Lake.

I included this because of that statement in the second paragraph. Interesting.

Last edited by cheers; Apr 4th 2011 at 2:44 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chriswinter
Yorkie Bars
If you win how can we get that $20 certificate to you ???
Old Apr 4th 2011, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I would like to welcome our new readers to this newsletter. Thank you for signing up, I hope you will be informed and maybe even entertained by this newsletter. I usually run a competition with a prize for the correct answer.

We wave the flag of Britishness here in Utah where more people claim their origins as the British Isles than anywhere else in the US and so we our proud of the heritage that gives rise to a British store here in Salt Lake.

I included this because of that statement in the second paragraph. Interesting.
That's interesting that there are more British-origin people in Utah than anywhere else in US.

I am glad they "our proud" of the heritage---but what happened to the heritage of good spelling?!!!!

Tina
Old Apr 4th 2011, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Yes, I will be. I was going to take the day off to celebrate it but, now, since I don't have a job once again, I will probably be off anyway - and glued to it.
Hi Wind,
I am so behind on all of my threads, I really need to catch up!!
What happenend to your job???? the last thing I remember was you had finally gotten one..
Jackie
Old Apr 4th 2011, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by between two worlds
That's interesting that there are more British-origin people in Utah than anywhere else in US.

I am glad they "our proud" of the heritage---but what happened to the heritage of good spelling?!!!!

Tina
I think we are all guilty of mistakes like that in fact I didn't notice it until you pointed it out.

While we on that subject I think those living in Canada use the English spelling, is that correct?
Old Apr 4th 2011, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Hi Wind,
I am so behind on all of my threads, I really need to catch up!!
What happenend to your job???? the last thing I remember was you had finally gotten one..
Jackie
Hi Jackie - same thing that is happening to a lot of jobs in my state - eliminated! I was a temp to hire three months ago and they just eliminated the position last week. Not just me, but the position as well. "Budgetary constraints". They were a failing company and already owned by a private equity company. Sales were not as high as they had hoped so they made some cuts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.