Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by dunroving
Spent 4 years in Athens, a bit different from small-town rural Georgia.

This will be close to Savannah and Tybee island.
Savannah's very nice - also St Simon's Island and Jekyll Island - I lived in a small town in Georgia for 3 years. The winters were pleasant (very mild) but the summers a little too hot and humid for me. Too many rednecks as well - although this was back in the mid 80s, so things may have changed down there. I would imagine if you're living in a college town there will be fewer rednecks (at least I hope so).
Good luck to you!!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Savannah is a very pretty area, we've been here several times and taken visitors there too. The scene in the movie Forrest Gump where he's sat on the bench while waiting for the bus is filmed in Savannah, as is the movie Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (excellent by the way).
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beachgal21
Savannah is a very pretty area, we've been here several times and taken visitors there too. The scene in the movie Forrest Gump where he's sat on the bench while waiting for the bus is filmed in Savannah, as is the movie Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (excellent by the way).
'Midnight in The Garden of Good and Evil' is one of the few DVDs I own. I must have watched it 20 times or more- Kevin Spacey - oh lordy, lordy: 'I have an eye for framing things - 44 lon..ng'. Don't let me get started. Took a few bus tours there last Winter - November time. Beautiful city - Savannah.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
'Midnight in The Garden of Good and Evil' is one of the few DVDs I own. I must have watched it 20 times or more- Kevin Spacey - oh lordy, lordy: 'I have an eye for framing things - 44 lon..ng'. Don't let me get started. Took a few bus tours there last Winter - November time. Beautiful city - Savannah.
I've never seen that movie but heard about - I think I'll put it on my Netflix queue.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

I just watched Escape to the Country, it was Warwickshire .... my stomping ground ......
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

I've always had a fascination with the property market and since downloading Expat Shield last week have over indulged in property hunting shows. This evening I've watched an episode of Homes Under the Hammer and two episodes of Escape to the Country (I know Billy No-Mates here ) Anyway, as one is inclined to do, in my mind I've liquidated all our assets here in the US, converted the dollars to pounds, and found that we have just under 10 quid more than bugger all. I thought we had done quite well for ourselves, but when I look at what we could actually get for our money in England, it makes me think we've been playing with Monopoly money here.

Sadly I can only see one way out of this dilemma ..... yes that's right ... we'll have to move to Wales Oh the shame of it
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

I've always had a fascination with the property market and since downloading Expat Shield last week have over indulged in property hunting shows. This evening I've watched an episode of Homes Under the Hammer and two episodes of Escape to the Country (I know Billy No-Mates here ) Anyway, as one is inclined to do, in my mind I've liquidated all our assets here in the US, converted the dollars to pounds, and found that we have just under 10 quid more than bugger all. I thought we had done quite well for ourselves, but when I look at what we could actually get for our money in England, it makes me think we've been playing with Monopoly money here.

Sadly I can only see one way out of this dilemma ..... yes that's right ... we'll have to move to Wales Oh the shame of it
Ok guys...signing off for a few days..catch you on the flip side..take care..
Jackie..
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

Boodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Ok guys...signing off for a few days..catch you on the flip side..take care..
Jackie..
Bye Jackie...take care and happy landings. Elizabeth
Old Jan 25th 2011, 10:53 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean about monopoly money - I mean, how is it possible to go from having almost complete ownership of a nice 3 BR 1.5 BA detached in the States to barely having enough for a deposit for a former council house in the UK? (answer: exchange rates, low property prices in the US, high deposits and tough mortgage lending in the UK, etc.). Knowing the logical explanation doesn't help, though, I know.

I love your expression "just under 10 quid more than bugger all!" - says it all. At least you still have a sense of humour about it.

You know, Wales isn't all that bad. There are definitely some rough parts but I met some lovely people when I lived there in 2006 ...
Old Jan 25th 2011, 12:28 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I know, the prices in the UK are quite scary. I look at where I live now - a cute little town a short train ride to the middle of Manhattan - and think 'how can that be less expensive than Leeds??' This house the same distance outside London would cost as least double what it does here. But of course it's all about supply and demand.

Speaking of Leeds, last night I watched that 'Wanted Down Under' show and it was about a middle-aged couple from Leeds. The wife had always wanted to move to Australia but they were leaving behind a very close-knit family including two sons and a darling little grand-daughter. Grandma was really close with the little girl and kept saying how much she would miss her and how devastated she would be if none of her family followed them out to Australia. Meantime, it was clear the sons had no intention of ever going over. To make it worse, their own parents were getting old.

At the end of the show, they decided to definitely make the move. I couldn't believe it! Just because of some sunshine and an extra bedroom? I was faintly depressed afterwards thinking of all they were leaving behind.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 12:56 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I know, the prices in the UK are quite scary. I look at where I live now - a cute little town a short train ride to the middle of Manhattan - and think 'how can that be less expensive than Leeds??' This house the same distance outside London would cost as least double what it does here. But of course it's all about supply and demand.

Speaking of Leeds, last night I watched that 'Wanted Down Under' show and it was about a middle-aged couple from Leeds. The wife had always wanted to move to Australia but they were leaving behind a very close-knit family including two sons and a darling little grand-daughter. Grandma was really close with the little girl and kept saying how much she would miss her and how devastated she would be if none of her family followed them out to Australia. Meantime, it was clear the sons had no intention of ever going over. To make it worse, their own parents were getting old.

At the end of the show, they decided to definitely make the move. I couldn't believe it! Just because of some sunshine and an extra bedroom? I was faintly depressed afterwards thinking of all they were leaving behind.
I think that program would benefit from having the family talk with a former expat (or someone from BE!) I don't think these presenters have a clue about the realities of emigrating, and in some ways it's quite cruel and exploitative that they (deliberately or indirectly) push people towards these huge life-changing decisions.

I know, we are all responsible for our own decisions, but there is an element of putting temptation (and maybe a certain degree of implicit expectation) in the path of people who are often in a vulnerable state of mind.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

It's the exchange rate that's the killer. If you were able to exchange dollars for pounds on a one to one basis, then you'd be ok. In truth it's left me feeling a bit deflated, because I thought that we had done really well for ourselves. But with a view to moving back to the UK, I kinda get the feeling that the dollar isn't worth the paper it's written on. I'm wondering if, if I had stayed in the UK, if I'd actually be ahead financially, taking into consideration the exchange rate

I saw the Wanted Down Under that you mentioned and had the same thoughts. Was it one of the 'Revisited" ones?
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:10 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that was the one - they hadn't actually left by the end of the show, so I'm holding out hope that they came to their senses.

I'm sorry you feel a bit down. I did too when I started looking at UK house prices. I think what we'll end up doing is finding a rental property and then looking for a house that needs work. The cost of renovations is so much lower over there. As long as I don't have to live in it while it's being done, I don't mind the work.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

It's the exchange rate that's the killer. If you were able to exchange dollars for pounds on a one to one basis, then you'd be ok. In truth it's left me feeling a bit deflated, because I thought that we had done really well for ourselves. But with a view to moving back to the UK, I kinda get the feeling that the dollar isn't worth the paper it's written on. I'm wondering if, if I had stayed in the UK, if I'd actually be ahead financially, taking into consideration the exchange rate
I know exactly how you feel, its quite depressing isn't it, when you feel as though you've been quite successful and then you have to look at going back to not much more than you left The property prices in the UK do seem to be dropping quite a bit though and the exchange rate is forecast to stay pretty stable for a while. This is what we're pinning our hopes on.

Not sure if you were serious about Wales, but we were there last Autumn and there are some absolutely beautiful places there;we found the Welsh people so friendly.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Yes that was the one - they hadn't actually left by the end of the show, so I'm holding out hope that they came to their senses.

I'm sorry you feel a bit down. I did too when I started looking at UK house prices. I think what we'll end up doing is finding a rental property and then looking for a house that needs work. The cost of renovations is so much lower over there. As long as I don't have to live in it while it's being done, I don't mind the work.
We had also considered renting a caravan, while househunting, as it could be quite a bit cheaper and you wouldn't need furniture. Not if we move in the winter though as they're too cold for English winters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.