Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up

Old Jan 23rd 2011, 9:50 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

I wonder how much 'grooming' is really going on as opposed to the way the media make it sound. Sounds like a story that has everything the media wants so they can scare middle England - nasty 'brown' men hurting innocent white girls. Oh the horror! Never mind the fact that white men hurt white girls every day of the week and it doesn't make the news.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that wouldn't also be horrifying, but I think you have to take this stuff with a pinch of salt.

If I watched the local news, I'd probably never go out. There never seems to be a day go by without violence or carnage and yet my life doesn't seem to be affected. I really think the news distorts reality.

When my mum starts to go on about how awful things are in England, I always ask her to be specific. She can never name one thing that's happened to her - just stuff she read in the paper or saw on TV.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK-Silly Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I think they are Victorian and Edwardian terraces rather than Georgian........though I have been known to be wrong.
They are terraces built in the Georgian style which carried on into the Victorian period. The main point is that there are many period character homes that never make these shows and limit the perceived choices to new builds. Shame but I guess they are just pandering to the main market in front of them.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 1:34 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

What percentage of Adelaide (the city they were in on the show I watched) is period homes versus newer homes?

I'm in the US and live in what is considered an old home - it was built in 1920! There are older homes of course in some towns on the East Coast, but I couldn't pretend that it's anything like the UK. There weren't many people here back in Victorian days, and the further West you go, the newer the homes. It's not an insult - just a fact of life when you live in a relatively new country.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 1:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
What percentage of Adelaide (the city they were in on the show I watched) is period homes versus newer homes?

I'm in the US and live in what is considered an old home - it was built in 1920! There are older homes of course in some towns on the East Coast, but I couldn't pretend that it's anything like the UK. There weren't many people here back in Victorian days, and the further West you go, the newer the homes. It's not an insult - just a fact of life when you live in a relatively new country.
Adelaide, no idea on the percentage but they have some beauties. City of churches, parks and fine homes. I agree, no one would consider it the same as a European country. But the other extreme of barely having any historic homes is often flung around about both Australia and the USA which I find equally silly. When you consider the age of most homes in the UK they don't pre-date the USA or even Australia (1788). A lot were built in the last 100 years. On the other hand their finest examples are fantastic!!! Wandering down some London streets is bliss. I really enjoy the variety and history of American architecture as well.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 12:34 pm
Finally Home!

It depends where you are in America. The East Coast was the original country so there are some nice older homes, although not millions of them. The West is much newer. I went to look at houses in Oregon once in preparation for a possible move - beautiful, beautiful state with amazing scenery, but I couldn't find a character home to save my life. The closest I got was a 1950s bungalow Admittedly I wasn't looking at super-expensive homes, but still ...

I do agree with you about England - my target town Kendal has some beautiful old homes, but over recent years it has been developed to within an inch of its life and there are just so many modern little estates with boxy houses and identical bungalows. I find those houses a bit depressing. It isn't hard to put a bit of thought into blending in with the surroundings!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
It depends where you are in America. The East Coast was the original country so there are some nice older homes, although not millions of them. The West is much newer. I went to look at houses in Oregon once in preparation for a possible move - beautiful, beautiful state with amazing scenery, but I couldn't find a character home to save my life. The closest I got was a 1950s bungalow Admittedly I wasn't looking at super-expensive homes, but still ...

I do agree with you about England - my target town Kendal has some beautiful old homes, but over recent years it has been developed to within an inch of its life and there are just so many modern little estates with boxy houses and identical bungalows. I find those houses a bit depressing. It isn't hard to put a bit of thought into blending in with the surroundings!
The great thing about american architecture (compared to the uk for example) is the variety that comes from such a large and diverse landscape with varying weather systems, materials etc. Australia also has this to a lessor degree (Queenslander wooden homes vs brick). Obviously the UK has diversity of materials as well - it is just a bit limited to cold weather construction being a similar climate all over due to its small size. The whole of Europe is probably a better comparison.

Looks like Portland does have some character homes but I guess it's easy to miss them without a local tucked in your pocket

http://www.brownkat.com/Recently_20_Sold.html
Old Jan 24th 2011, 1:38 pm
Finally Home!

I had a realtor taking me round, but those old houses are few and far between.

I would add that 1907 isn't 1788 and that's what I meant about all the old houses being on the East Coast. Lewis and Clark didn't even get to Oregon until 1830-something so the likelihood of finding many old homes is unlikely to say the least!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:29 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Guess who just had an interview this evening?

[This comes under the topic of daily catch-up]
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

Excellent.

for you
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:23 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

DOES NOBODY CARE?????

Guess you'll just have to wait until tomorrow to find out all about it, now.

I'm off to watch Silent Witness... and drink me cocoa. And tell the dog about my interview.

[OK, thanks JG, I see you noticed while I was making up my pity-post] Will tell y'all about it later.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

DOES NOBODY CARE?????

Guess you'll just have to wait until tomorrow to find out all about it, now.

I'm off to watch Silent Witness... and drink me cocoa. And tell the dog about my interview.

[OK, thanks JG, I see you noticed while I was making up my pity-post] Will tell y'all about it later.
I'm all ears.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:27 pm
Finally Home!

DOES NOBODY CARE?????
Oops my mistake for working and not paying attention!

An interview for a job in the UK or the US?

Is it something you want? How did it go?
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm all ears.
Me too I think it must be good...
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:32 pm
Ping-ponger

OK, quick details:

Pre-interview (phone), they're inviting next week or so.

Search Committee of 5

The usual questions, plus some missing that I would have asked if I were themk (Like, "You've moved around a lot, how do we know you'd stay?")

I think it went well, but you never know, very weird not being able to see facial expressions and reactions. First time I ever interviewed with a beer in my hand, wearing my slippers

The job is in Georgia, out in the Boonies a bit but not like Alabamistan.

Will have to wait and see, I'll keep you informed (though as I don't like to jinx myself, you probably won't hear until after the fact, like this time).
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.